Who's Down for a Sub bass tutorial??!?! (Using the Sidechain compressor)

Raptor's Den

Ok so I have a technique that I have mastered fully, and would Like to get a show of hands of who would truly enjoy and like a tuturial on making custom sub woofer basses that modulate in accordance to your synth?

One example of this is, if your synth doesnt have a proper sub at all and is lifeless atm. And you could use massive only to filter and stuff but if you want a fully accurate way, I have learned the same way you take out space with the sidechain compressor for the kick and snares to hit and play, the same way you would use your bass synth, with a corresponding sub bass you created in a synth. Then put the sidechain on there and its like your bass synth is your kicks and snare. It takes out the portion of pure sub bass that is needed for this! Then finally you go back and using that negative image, sidechain the negative image back to your sub bass, and voila... a brand new fully modulated only in volume rather sub bass! Then you can go in your sub synth and work on the resonance or if you want more filtering and a sound for the sub bass.. who knows the possiblities are endless.

However the reason for posting this short explanation is just a preliminary vote on who would like this? And if this hasnt been done before. I dont really want to waste my time typing up a HUGE tutorial and everyone knows this xDDD Much <3 and respect everyone!

kk well its really fun simple and highly effective. simply put , you take a bass synth with no sub bass. place a sub layer underneath. And just like how in dentistry where the dentist gets a negative image of your tooth, to make a proper sized filling. You take a sidechain compressor, place on the sub bass. Chain your bass synth directly into your sub. What you notice is when you silence your bass synth, it actually is only registering the bass AROUND the bass synth. So in turn getting you the negative image, just like in the dentist example. render that out after you played with the settings. This is so your sub bass plays at the same wobble or pattern as your bass synth that has no sub bass. then place back in the negative image. Chain it back to your sub bass. and now your sub bass will play the same rate, wobble, etc of your main bass synth that had no sub. Then you can adjust pitch etc!

Full tutorial coming in a few days cause i broke my hand and its gonna take a while

I have been using a similar technic with sounds, like 'negative sidechaining' so that the other sound gets more volume when the carrier sound rises in volume. There's the plugin in FL in which you can import a sound and it plays it in midi corresponding with the root notes of the sample. That midi can be used to play a sub bass underneath too.

My method is usually by just playing the sub or constructing the midi how I want it to sound with the main mid bass patterns.

Definitely share the method, always up for more mixing and resampling techniques.

NOT YOU AGAIN COLD QUAKE!@!!! HAHAHA jk jk <3

yeah i like to do whatever works haha. im making a video tutorial for our youtube... it sees no use so it will be much easier!

He offered to release one of my tracks. I then proceed to listen to his soundcloud. One of the tracks seemed like the sub bass was panned. Does he really know what he is talking about? I'm sorry Raptor, but your website looked like a unicorn vomited everywhere. It took me like 8 minutes for your page to load and I have high speed internet. May I ask how long you have been producing Raptor and who your graphic designer was?

Not to start problems or anything. I'm just being honest.

My take on sub bass? Actually, I just use sounds that have a good low end. Most of my basses already have frequencies in the sub range. I might lower some of the high and mid frequencies with the EQ on my mixer (I use hardware), then raise the overall level of the bass. Sidechaning? That's the easy way out. Though I do mix through a hardware compressor. Drum & Bass existed before sidechaining was used so much in music. I find just basic compression to work better than sidechaining. Mixing the drums and bass together through a compressor works very well. Overdrive can be very useful on sub bass frequencies. It helps even out the volume of the different notes in the sub frequencies.

He offered to release one of my tracks. I then proceed to listen to his soundcloud. One of the tracks seemed like the sub bass was panned. Does he really know what he is talking about? I'm sorry Raptor, but your website looked like a unicorn vomited everywhere. It took me like 8 minutes for your page to load and I have high speed internet. May I ask how long you have been producing Raptor and who your graphic designer was?

lol.

Raptors Den i like ur style broo..the way you compresse and limit the dynamics in your trax is soooo sick bro lololol
please post your tekneequ so err1 can see how to make trax like urs
just remember keep practising and all the frequencies in the 3d box of compression will fill any bedroom/club with fantastic amounts of badness!!!!!!!

1lov3 broi

I'm sorry Raptor, but your website looked like a unicorn vomited everywhere.
I said guddaymn!

Yeah, I don't understand Raptor's posts either. Very...energetic would be my guess. But by all means tho dude put the tut up. Any tips are welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Raptors Den i like ur style broo..the way you compresse and limit the dynamics in your trax is soooo sick bro lololol
please post your tekneequ so err1 can see how to make trax like urs
just remember keep practising and all the frequencies in the 3d box of compression will fill any bedroom/club with fantastic amounts of badness!!!!!!!

1lov3 broi
heh....heh heh.

I'm sorry Raptor, but your website looked like a unicorn vomited everywhere. It took me like 8 minutes for your page to load and I have high speed internet.

I said guddaymn!

Yeah, I don't understand Raptor's posts either. Very...energetic would be my guess. But by all means tho dude put the tut up. Any tips are welcome.

His website is probably the worst example of web design ive ever seen. He hasnt compressed his images, he hasnt centered his pages, and everything is so overdesigned and colourful, i cant even read anything. He also needs to learn how to grammar.

His website is probably the worst example of web design ive ever seen. He hasnt compressed his images, he hasnt centered his pages, and everything is so overdesigned and colourful, i cant even read anything. He also needs to learn how to grammar.

That kinda hurts.. I put alot of heart, soul and effort, for it to be called unicorn vomit. If you see the true design i went for, it wouldnt look like unicorn vomit to anyone... Its a giant raptor head.... :( I have been working on a new page though, its horribly un useful the page I have now, Its cool art yeah but hey its really not useful at all unless I modified it and I cannot find the original page.

I fully use png because thats the cleanest output in pictures. It works smooth and well. And bro it's not overdesigned. Its all my art, its actually lots of detail and hard work and effort that I put into it, I respect your opinion completely, but my purpous and intent was to have a different website, a spacier one. One where you look at and just dont want to leave.. haha, one that makes you want to be creative and shit!

Its not even that hard to read what I wrote, And I know my grammar.. its fine. Besides my website being unicorn piss and diahrea, I appreciate the feedback lol, and thanks for the music compliments! I try my best to make it as accurate as possible!

And im sorry but it takes a nanosecond for my website to come up not only for me but every single one of my homies and we have regular internet. Idk what the problem is, its staying png though haha.

I do know actually what Im talking about im not a superhuman, im working literally 247 on EVERY single aspect of my label.. So Mistakes happen and im sorry but im not a robot. Not everything can be perfect. I make my tracks the best I can, If there is a problem tell me what track, Ill take a listen, but NOTHING is released by me unless it sounds proper and legit! Literally I put 100% of my heart, soul and effort 247 into everything I do for my label, and it REALLY BADLY HURTS when someone just straight up says the website is unicorn vomit. No you didnt start any problems but you really hurt someone. I put in too much work and effort and love into this, Im still learning too im not the god of sound but I know a LOT and I try my best. My memory may not be the best at times but i still do my best...

Ill still get the tutorial up. That just fucking hurts when you put in all of your efforts and all people can do are critisize the tiny mistakes... I realize my website, my sounds, my style, my technique arent going to appease everyone but at least have the respect to not nitpick at all the little details, look at the big picture, thats the meaning of my art that I am trying to convey... not about being the same in web design or making tunes that are EACH 100% perfect, im still an underground bedroom producer, I have ZERO acoustic treatment, except I have a knowledge of frequency. Basically im tired of saying i know my shit i know my shit. Im done saying that truly cause what I know I know and ill help out. All that does is everyone is confused about who i am personally and what I truly know. Ive had the same 9+ other responses this last week saying the same thing.. Ill be here for help, but im done answering the age old question of "Does he actually know what hes talking about?" Yes, of course, otherwise, i honestly wouldnt just slander information and type paragraphs upon paragraphs of explanations for my art... the piece of soul that I wish to transmit to you all..

I asked you if you wished to release your track on my label because I was being nice and wanted to release your monster of a tune! I loved it! Its all about the love... Yes mistakes happen but its not a HUGE mistake, in the end its music.. Listen to any recording of any record or song recorded in a studio, you will hear a TREMENDOUS amount of mistakes, bad timing, not the right sound, guitar suddenly goes more to the left stereo side. Its music im human im just trying to do my best....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom