Who's been killing it recently?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by PRTCL, Jul 23, 2015.

1. PRTCL

PRTCL Member

Alright people,

This is one of those threads....Give me a few artists who you are massively feeling at the moment and who have been smashing it at production.

I'm gonna start with 'Survey'.

Not only have these guys has releases on Noisia's label Invisible, they've also released two massive EP's. We've also just signed another EP to Flexout Audio which is due out later this year.

If you don't know about Survey, get to know:

https://pro.beatport.com/artist/survey/316248

Safe
    Joe

Strobe_DNB and DNB4Energy like this.
  2. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

Survey are big, really feeling their latest output!

I'd go with the names 'Glitch', 'Fuj', 'Nausika' and 'M-Soul & S27' (although these guys I've been watching closely ever since their E-Motion single from last year, the rest I've discovered later).

3. SteveR94

SteveR94 RECORDING OMG STRONGLY

For me, I think LSB has been killing it this year, along with Ulterior Motive and Ivy Lab!

4. PRTCL

PRTCL Member

Love Fuj's production too, he's also got a killer single coming out on Flexout next year. Massive and gritty sounding.

Fallen.GeMiNi likes this.
  5. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

While we're at it, any plans for a possible vinyl release on Flexout again? The last few singles were really impressing, would definitely like to get some on plastic, especially since I've missed out on the Hyroglifics plate last year.

Strobe_DNB likes this.
  6. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

Paradox and Nucleus are back, and it is a big sound.

7. PRTCL

PRTCL Member

We don't have any lined up for the near future, but It's something that I'm definitely pushing for!

You haven't missed out on the wax dude, we still have some left on the Flexout Bandcamp if you're interested.

http://flexoutaudio.bandcamp.com/album/calling-torus

Strobe_DNB and Fallen.GeMiNi like this.
  8. PRTCL

PRTCL Member

Sick man, good suggestion, I'll have to check some of that out.

9. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

M-Soul &S27, Nausika, Ed:it and the once spring to mind right now.

10. rhythm

rhythm Active Member

honestly no one. of course there are producers out there that are still making very good stuff, but to me this is as slow and as stale as dnb has ever been (i've been into it since 95). everything sounds paint-by-numbers to me, and I'm not talking about the mainstream stuff. I don't know if it's just that everything has been done before, but to me no one is coming with stuff that is actually new, pushing things forward and groundbreaking in any meaningful way (apart from maybe the Clarity LP last year). Maybe if Skeptical were more prolific... (he really needs to drop that album and put out tunes more often in general). Maybe the slow release schedule due to vinyl delays is preventing fresh stuff from coming out, but even when I listen to radio shows and mixes nothing is really grabbing me. the best thing I've heard recently is that dBridge remix of "White Light Monochrome" by Radioactive Man and that was digital only and went under the radar.

And I'm not saying that everything needs to be "groundbreaking," but I've always felt that over the past 20 years there was at least -someone- every couple years who came along with a new sound and was relatively prolific (i.e. Dillinja, Optical, Digital, Amit, Calibre, Instra:mental, Skeptical, etc...). Things just seem dead now.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Rapid99 and DeeGun like this.
  11. Saftstein

Saftstein Active Member

I love Stray's output atm! I haven't heard much of him before this year and i'm honestly suprised and those sick swagger beats in the new mix are so lovely selected. Big ups to this guy.

12. rhythm

rhythm Active Member

^^^I will agree that Stray's "Paradise" EP is really good: I honestly wasn't too into his previous stuff too much (barring a few tracks) but yeah I think the EP is quite good

13. PRTCL

PRTCL Member

I'm hugely into 'Paradise', but that's the only one on that EP for me. But I'm really into that tune, so it makes up for not feeling the rest.

14. PRTCL

PRTCL Member

That's a shame, I think drum and bass is in a really good place right now. But I'm more into the smaller, less well-known producers though. I just enjoy looking for, and listening to stuff which is in more of a niche anyway.

Vanden likes this.
  15. $pyto

$pyto Soundcloud changed everything

Halogenix, Pennygiles, Etherwood, Tokyo Prose
    Voltage, Tyke, Jam Thieves, Break

Depends what you're into I guess

16. Phillasophical

Phillasophical Active Member

Loving DLRs output

17. Large Marge

Large Marge garbage truck

fair point. there's actually a lot of new producers I rate and I tend to find at least a couple of new tunes a week worth buying, but there's definitely not the same kind of sense that people are pushing the envelope like they used to. you don't seem to get tracks that take you on a 'journey' (maaan...) any more. everything's become very formulaic in that sense. - more producers out there need to start testing boundaries and experimenting a bit, imo.

18. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

Upgrade is killing it for me. I play more of his tunes than my own lol

19. Solace

Solace Active Member

Ivy Lab. These guys are just releasing tune after tune after tune.
    Then the separate members from Ivy Lab ofcourse, Halogenix and Stray (Sabre hasn't really released solo stuff right? Or did I miss it?)
    Also loving Enei latest stuff. That remix for Bun Ya Too is wicked, and I've heard a tune coming on his album (I think) and that was insane.
    Calibre and LSB are delivering vibes as always.
    Signal is killing it too. For a kid that young, already releases on Invisible, Critical, Renegade... Jeez...
    And then my buddy Phase is also sitting on some crazy forthcoming stuff, loving his shit

20. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

This opinion sounds like it's a result of not digging deep enough, but feel free to correct me. As @PRTCL mentioned, check out the smaller artists and the smaller labels - just because the music isn't released on a big label by a big name doesn't mean it's not of a high quality. I completely agree with your point when you apply it to the bigger labels but fuck me there is so much going on on the outskirts - and actually you don't really have to look that far. For example, Fracture's label Astrophonica is pushing a footwork & dub infused sound while Kid Drama & dBridge (Heartdrive) are giving the autonomic scene a lick of paint. Om Unit is also doing a great job at bringing in new sounds via Cosmic Bridge.

Back to the original question: Moresounds.