who was talking from the brown ring?

Messages
45
Likes
0
#1
ok. last friday i went out to a dnb night with some people im semi familier with. while attending the preliminary drinking sesh, i got talking to this dude who ive never met before. I overheard him say to someone that drumnbass comes from a garage somewhere in the states. Ok, so my BSometer starts ringing like a mofo and i butted in with... "well actually mate ive been following drumnbass since the early 90s and it came from jungle wich came from either acid house or reggae(which one it is im not sure of) i then went on to explain that the first dnb track was by goldie and it was called terminator (also only about 70% sure of, im only 19 after all) he turned round and said "goldie is only a dj! he doesnt make music" I was in bloady stitches about that one and decided the guy wasnt worth the effort. So how about it? was i right? or was i off course totally? eitherway drumnbass is UK and i know that.
 

DJ Lordward

T.D.P.
VIP Junglist
Messages
695
Likes
1
#2
He hasnt got a clue wot he's on about lol. yeh ur right it was created in England. Goldie made the 1st track called Terminator. I think that guy was gettin confused wit garage :knob: , cos that sound was formed in some underground club in the States.
Obviously d&b wasn't started off by one tune tho, it was formed over a period of time, but every1 says the 1st tune was Terminator.
Can any1 else add to what I've said?
 

Indi

Tha Original ThreadKilla!
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,322
Likes
15
#3
a group of musicians messed around and came up with a new sound which was made from breakbeat played at double speed, influences from ragga and roots reggae, and the ghetto aethetics of rap and detroit techno, and they termed it 'jungle', genacide 2 were doing this way before goldie made terminator
 
Last edited:

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,398
Likes
14
#5
terminator was a very excellent and noticeable part of a whole movement at that time. it wasnt the 'first' ..
some might say aspects of us garage had an influence, i guess, but less than other music did. christ if this guy hasnt heard of timeless who cares ..?
:nurr_nur: :devilslay
 

Serum

Well-Known Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,100
Likes
153
#6
I remember ages ago on DOA there was some guy asking how goldie was so famous when he's never written any tracks. I think it was titled "what has goldie ever doen for the music".
You can imagine the response
 

12 inch grinch

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
1,688
Likes
0
#7
i watched a programme about 3 months ago called pionnerrs of music it had fabio and groovrider onit they said they used to mix breakbeat over house music in the clubs. and goldie is a major part to play for shaw he brang out some shit hot tune wen it all stared.
 
Messages
45
Likes
0
#8
Serum said:
I remember ages ago on DOA there was some guy asking how goldie was so famous when he's never written any tracks.[EDIT]<<<LOL[/EDIT] I think it was titled "what has goldie ever doen for the music".
You can imagine the response
Yeah i can imagine the response! its like mesh says, if he hasnt heard of timeless hes isnt worth arguing with. Wasnt Timeless the bigest selling drum n bass album EVER! my favorite goldie era is probly the days of enforcers with hype. I remember my first Metalheadz LPs and a track called unofficial ghost by digital. Sums it up really. So guys, what do we think of goldies recent sounds personally i was deaply affected by "up all night"
 

DJ Lordward

T.D.P.
VIP Junglist
Messages
695
Likes
1
#9
Yeh 'up all night' is a classic! iv got the remix which i think is better (although its not very different from the original at all).
Seethe - can't remember if Timeless was the biggest selling d&b album but as Goldie himself says- 'Timeless will always be the best drum&bass album ever made'. So that guy who doesn't know what he's talkin bout really should get to know about it!
 

V Matt

Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
877
Likes
0
#10
-=Seethe=- said:
Yeah i can imagine the response! its like mesh says, if he hasnt heard of timeless hes isnt worth arguing with. Wasnt Timeless the bigest selling drum n bass album EVER! my favorite goldie era is probly the days of enforcers with hype. I remember my first Metalheadz LPs and a track called unofficial ghost by digital. Sums it up really. So guys, what do we think of goldies recent sounds personally i was deaply affected by "up all night"
Errr, Unofficial Ghost was by Doc Scott & Up All Night was by John B ;)

I think New Forms is the biggest seller ever, might be wrong though
 
Last edited:

DJ Lordward

T.D.P.
VIP Junglist
Messages
695
Likes
1
#12
is it? well whats the right history then Freeagent??
V Matt - I think Seethe was talkin bout his fave Metalheadz releases, not Goldie tunes.
 
Last edited:
Messages
45
Likes
0
#13
V Matt said:
Errr, Unofficial Ghost was by Doc Scott & Up All Night was by John B ;)
DOH!!
DJ Lordward said:
is it? well whats the right history then Freeagent??
V Matt - I think Seethe was talkin bout his fave Metalheadz releases, not Goldie tunes.
I was indeed. I always get digital, Doc Scott and Lemon D mixed up, Although not so much Lemon since the popularity of the valve sound of which my favorite tune is "in the grind" ( :eek: heavy tune!! )
[OT]has anyone heard that tune that has a man and a girl talking in it? thay go "what kind of music is that" and then the door opens and the music gets louder. I love the bit in that track where the guy goes "Im fealing kind of grimAy. Would you like to take some ecstasy with mEh"
classic![/OT]
 
Last edited:

Serum

Well-Known Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,100
Likes
153
#14
-=Seethe=- said:
[OT]has anyone heard that tune that has a man and a girl talking in it? thay go "what kind of music is that" and then the door opens and the music gets louder. I love the bit in that track where the guy goes "Im fealing kind of grimAy. Would you like to take some ecstasy with mEh"
classic![/OT]
Fresh - Floodlight (DOA)
 
Top