Who still cares about vinyl?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Sweaty Teddy, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

Tonight I did a trial shift at a bar and there was an "Ibiza Sessions" night which only happens once a month and a few DJ's play regularly.

My friend tried to hook me up with a set on one of their nights and I started talking to him, he asked what I play and I said Drum and bass, dubstep and a little bit of house, he then said he doesn't like dnb or dubstep and that I should download loads of house tunes illegally and practice I told him I only do vinyl, he laughed said I should get some up to date gear and then walked off.

Is this a common thing or was this guy just a bit of a knob?

2. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

the guy's a massive knobjockey. no serious promoter would be concerned about the format the djs are using. i think he was just trying to look smart, like he's down with cutting edge technology and shit. dont think about it twice man, the guy's a dumbass and you're better off for not playing on his night.

3. Goosey_J

Goosey_J IGNORE ME

Grade A cunt bruv. Should've kicked him square in the jowls

4. Blurr

Blurr Wasted Selection

sounds like a bit of both tbh

he sounds like a dick but alot of DJs don't use vinyl these days, there's so many options, and in the long run vinyl is without doubt the most expensive and least accessible

i saw someone at our SU bar using ableton and it was jus cringing watching him mix knowing that the computer is doing all the beatmatching, and there was another guy using a handheld midi controller, i actually laughed in his face when he told me what it was

5. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

I care about vinyl in general and my vinyl collection.
    Your mate needs kick up the arse and show a little more respect to you from what you've written.

Of course it's down to personal taste. But to tell you to D/L illegalness and 'stay up with the times' in other words ain't on really.

If someone turned round and said that to me, mate or not. I'd tell him to fuck off and walk away before i stick Paul Van Dyk up his fucking arse.

6. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

i disagree. ableton, traktor, and other dj software can offer a whole new world in live mixing.
    when the whole dj thing began people had to beatmatch because it was the only way they could bring two tunes to the same speed. because of that, performers where limited only to a few mixing techniques, as they always had to worry about keeping the records in time.
    at the minute, with the available technology, this is now obsolete. true, there is an art in beatmatching tunes to perfection. but as many great musicians have proven, embracing the dj software, in conjunction with previous performance knowledge, can have great results. Check sets by Exile, Surgeon, Richie Hawntin, Current Value, and others. allusing some sort of mixing software,but manage to keep all their performances fresh and interesting.
    the main drawbacks i see in software mixing right now is the lesser sound quality compared to vinyl, and the converter's latency. but both will only improve with time.

7. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

I can see why people would use CDJ's as it is alot cheaper way and you don't have to carry a box of vinyl round, once I get a bit more skilled with producing I intend on getting some CDJ's to mix my own tunes and some others that don't get a vinyl release but it was just the way he seemed to look down on vinyl like it was some lesser way to DJ.

Him telling me to download loads of tunes illegally was just funny to be honest, the DJs that night get paid about £100 for a set and that isn't their main source of income and they can't even afford to pay a few quid for their MP3's. I can afford to buy vinyl and at the moment I am on job seekers allowance getting £100 every two weeks.

8. Solitude Beats

Solitude Beats Member

This

Edit : Oh and that bloke sounds like a knob

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  9. BoudiCat

BoudiCat SERIAY.

The guy is an absolute cunt. Vinyl is where it's at. The geezer likes house anyway ffs, why you listening to him?

10. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

that guy is a cunt, I care for vinyl and I dont even have decks. I occasionally buy epic tracks on vinyl and have a single turntable on top of an old school sony stereo. Nothing beats getting new vinyl through the post, that guy can take his illegal house music, his MAC, and his software, and shove it up his arse.

11. poohoodahoodoo

poohoodahoodoo Member

if i was mixing house i wouldnt buy vinyl either, but i wouldnt illegally download. so fuck that - mix dnb and buy vinyl

theres nothing worse than seeing someone roll up with a laptop and call him self a dj. you aint a dj your just a nerd with a laptop.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  12. Junglist_007

Junglist_007 learning difficulties

Sounds like the gezzer right up his own ass, proper nob jockey. It's all about vinyl and always will be.

13. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

Nahh I aint listening to him at all, i'm not gonna buy some CDJ's to mix illegally downloaded house.

I don't mind some house and have got a few electro house vinyls but only stuff like Feed Me and a few of Noisias electro house releases but it's all on vinyl.

I've noticed that DJ's who play certain genres tend to use vinyl more such as drum and bass and hip hop, the majority of people on this forum tend to use mainly vinyl and a few people I know who DJ hip hop swear by vinyl. I think it's nicer to have a big vinyl collection than have everything on a few CD's and vinyl looks way cooler lol.

14. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

i don't have decks (yet) but already have a decent collection of vinyl. i wouldn't wanna dj any other way

15. aflex

aflex Member

BAD LIMP DICK

16. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

remeber where the DJ thing came from ( forget discos) ...HIP HOP...cutting scratching...its a skill can you download skills...not quite yet, but give it some time. The result...everything is diluted, people take it all for granted, the majic evapourates. stay at home with dj hero fuck going to see Shogun night I can download thsoe skills.....

NO

17. emy

emy Member

Yeah I got my decks because I loved watching turntablists work-cutting, scratching, beat juggling....and creating all these sounds. Then I fell in love with drum and bass after that and it's all I mix now!

It was about the format first for me then the music

18. alz

alz compress to impress

I love using vinyl
    I love using CD's
    Because I love to mix, regardless.

Having ur mix already prepared on ableton is a total cop tho, i understand all these people saying "yeh u can do more stuff, yeh more elements, yeh yeh revolution" but fact is you might as well be playing a mix cd, and have a couple of other samples u can trigger via another cd, cos thats basically what it is.

19. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

all the answers were there mate. you just needed to look harder.

20. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

Fair point man, I kind of gathered he was a bit of a knob but I wanted to know if that happens alot and if anyones encountered anyone like this guy.