WHO IS LUV? -- pls feedback, cheers!

maschinistom

VIP Junglist
ello! had some more melodies in my mind and made this track.
tried to add some interesting synth/sound elements to go away from this pure melo/pop dnb style. do they all match the atmo of the track?
I hope this one sounds open/clean enough. any advise to make this one sound better is welcome ...

I'm off travelling to Manila tomorrow, not quite sure how I should feel about it ...

final edit June 21:

Last edited:
Sounds good! No major ear-aches. What I would consider changing is the notes or sound of the synth chords at some point in the song since they kinda dominate the track a bit too much, even with the filter movement going on. Also I'd put a bit more reverb on the synth chords and push them just a bit further back in the mix. Also with the deep bass, I'd consider shortening the kick's long bassy tail, so that it'd get less in the way of the bass. The build-up at 4:30 is compositionally extremely cool, but there's quite some frequencies colliding which eats the impact away. Maybe consider some filter movement stuff there? But all in all a solid and has some cool ideas!

Well, first of all thanks for listening and ur feedback. I'm glad ur ears survived this one ;)

I think u are very right on the break, the white noise risers take up much space and collide with other elements -- will change that.

Not sure about ur suggestion on the chords: I had more reverb in an earlier version and giving them more presence sounds better to me.

PS: do u think intro/break are too loud? I think they are and take energy away from the drop. I think I should lower them in volume -- agree?

After a second (and longer) listen: Yah, no prob in keeping the synth chords the way they are. Perhaps I chose a bad word, should've said repetitive instead of dominating. I'm not saying it's a problem, but maybe you could try a different chord progression somewhere later in the track? But yeah, not an actual problem. =)

No, doesn't feel to me at least that the intro or break are too loud. But after listening to it more closely, it's the bass notes in the build-up (4:30) that make the other sounds duck.

I'd check whether making the vocals a little less present would have a beneficial impact on the build-up and intro, for example by lowering the echoey reverb and using a larger reverb a bit on it as well, to try to put it more in the same space as the synths.

Also, since it's easy to do, I would experiment with different kinds of kicks or shortening the tail of the current one.

But no worries, sounds good and it's a cool song. And always take other people's advice with a grain of salt. =)

Very nice mate. Very clean and open. Your productions are always spot on. (y) Do you have a vocalist or do you mainly use samples?

Agree with Slow Release, the build up at 4:30 is very cool. You're expecting it to drop at 4:28 but you extended the tension and added an element of surprise.

The volume of the intro is fine I think, but I recommend trying to lower the volume before the second drop. Alternatively you could remove that last note from the lead synth just before the drop. That small break might accentuate the drop better.

Minor feedback:

1:53 That throbbing bass could be a tad louder I reckon.

Don't worry about Manila... not as dangerous as people would have you believe especially where you're going. However, you might die from a heart attack from the driving here... it's quite shocking. I had a driver once who made a very sharp 90 degree turn from the outside lane and cut across 4 lanes of traffic so he could get to the gas station. I almost shat myself...

After a second (and longer) listen: Yah, no prob in keeping the synth chords the way they are. Perhaps I chose a bad word, should've said repetitive instead of dominating. I'm not saying it's a problem, but maybe you could try a different chord progression somewhere later in the track? But yeah, not an actual problem. =)

No, doesn't feel to me at least that the intro or break are too loud. But after listening to it more closely, it's the bass notes in the build-up (4:30) that make the other sounds duck.

I'd check whether making the vocals a little less present would have a beneficial impact on the build-up and intro, for example by lowering the echoey reverb and using a larger reverb a bit on it as well, to try to put it more in the same space as the synths.

Also, since it's easy to do, I would experiment with different kinds of kicks or shortening the tail of the current one.

But no worries, sounds good and it's a cool song. And always take other people's advice with a grain of salt. =)

Cheers for listening again and more detailed feedback, SR! And no worries, ur 1st review didn't come across tactless, I was just teasing u;) Ur right on the vox, I'm planning to take them a notch or two down. And I'll definitely look at intro/break levels as u suggest. The only thing I won't change are kick&bass .. they are meant to sound at the are (it's actually 4-5 different layers of bass morphing into one, kick side chained). Took me some time and won't change again. Thanks for ur very detailed feedback bro!

Very nice mate. Very clean and open. Your productions are always spot on. (y) Do you have a vocalist or do you mainly use samples?

Agree with Slow Release, the build up at 4:30 is very cool. You're expecting it to drop at 4:28 but you extended the tension and added an element of surprise.

The volume of the intro is fine I think, but I recommend trying to lower the volume before the second drop. Alternatively you could remove that last note from the lead synth just before the drop. That small break might accentuate the drop better.

Minor feedback:

1:53 That throbbing bass could be a tad louder I reckon.

Don't worry about Manila... not as dangerous as people would have you believe especially where you're going. However, you might die from a heart attack from the driving here... it's quite shocking. I had a driver once who made a very sharp 90 degree turn from the outside lane and cut across 4 lanes of traffic so he could get to the gas station. I almost shat myself...

Cheers bro! Glad u can see a bit of quality in my productions. In terms of vocals, I work only with samples, unfortunately. Thanks for ur input on modifications!!

I'm surprised the 2nd drop seems not too bad. Was just playing around with arrangement for some minutes and didn't think any special if it. well ..

PS: yeah :D traffic is mad here and so are many taxi drivers. Had my fair share of that in the first 2 days already, but no worries.. have been to some 45+ countries and seen far worse road manners :eek: lucky to be alive :teeth:

Like the intro man! very nicely done :D
Only don't think the flute sounds nice before the drop. Sounds a bit... idk.. doenst sound right :/
Like the atmosphere you're having. Some vocals are a bit too loud imo.
Nice job dude! :2thumbs:

Like the intro man! very nicely done :D
Only don't think the flute sounds nice before the drop. Sounds a bit... idk.. doenst sound right :/
Like the atmosphere you're having. Some vocals are a bit too loud imo.
Nice job dude! :2thumbs:

Cheers newcaise. Yeah, well, the flute... I had 10 other sounds in mind but then went for that one .. WTH, why not a flute this time :) will work on the vocals though. Thanks bro!

Im not very good at giving production tips, but just wanted to say
Really like the track ! Got a really individual original sound - love the vocal cuts and melody : keep it up man !
No worries Danny, thanks for listening and letting me know u like this track!! :2thumbs:

Cheers newcaise. Yeah, well, the flute... I had 10 other sounds in mind but then went for that one .. WTH, why not a flute this time :) will work on the vocals though. Thanks bro!
The flute in general sounds nice. but the flute plays right before the drop on its own. It sounded very cut off so i didnt like it :)

The flute in general sounds nice. but the flute plays right before the drop on its own. It sounded very cut off so i didnt like it :)
Fair enough.. sounds a bit off before the drop, ur right. Might look into that. Thanks for telling straight forward...

ello! had some more melodies in my mind and made this track.
tried to add some interesting synth/sound elements to go away from this pure melo/pop dnb style. do they all match the atmo of the track?
I hope this one sounds open/clean enough. any advise to make this one sound better is welcome ...

I'm off travelling to Manila tomorrow, not quite sure how I should feel about it ...

track link >>>> WHO IS LUV? (edit June3)

Sounds great, summery stye tune...with a bit of cheese in a good way. First sytnth sound has too much lfo/panning possibly check that. Nice!

Back
Top Bottom