Who here records their own samples?

AlienWeapon

I was curious how many of you actually record your own samples and by that i mean with microphone or whatever. If you do, what kind of mic or recording device do you use? Its an interesting concept to me, and something i want to try out to add a some textures to my compositions but i don't have a mic or anything other than a phone mic or the one built in to my laptop. All which are pretty crap. What processes do you go through when recording a sample? and what would you recommend i use on a budget?

I just bought a zoom h2 handy recorder for £100. It's all in one recording, which is better than a mic cause you don't have to be next to your pc to record.
In terms of sound quality, I'm too crap at using it to tell properly, but it's definitely a lot better than a phone and can sound pretty nice if the levels are right. Some things, if you're layering random noises, don't need to be good quality.
It can do quadrophonic sound too, but I haven't really used that yet cause I can't play it back on my stereo speakers.
Overall, I think it's pretty useful, but I haven't compared personally...

we do, we all have zoom recorders, me and ali have the z2 i guess, the smaller, handier one, but tom (phuture-t) has one that looks like a fucking piece of fighter jet console, you know like from top gun, just rip one of those modules out of the panel and you have tommys fucking monster of a recorder. its about the size of a vhs video cassette with a big fuck off orange black GUI. its brilliant.

but we also sample from vinyl and tape, get breaks from vinyl, like i moved into my current place and for some reason found a 7" with think on it?? haha so we have that recorded, straight to revox tape, through hanses soundcraft desk, on a few different speeds, pitch, and gain levels.

we had a compo a few years ago on here with only sounds you recorded yourself allowed. like found sounds, not smaples of other songs, it was pretty good! was amazing acutally.

anyway we really value the craft of making a tune with completely original sounds that we recorded ourselves, thats why we all are starting to amass quite a bit of weird percussion, shakers, cymbals, and more, i got guitars and an harmonica and and a flute and i think hans got temple blocks haha (temple blocks is like a xylophone but with bricks made of wood instead, and they differ in pitch depending on how hollowed out they been, it sounds good, but really hasnt been very great to use in songs, the funniest thing is hans (grits) had to study playing them on a univeristy level haha and its shit difficult to play, thats what the funniest bit is) but yeah recording your own sounds is brilliant, and if you want to develop your sound, you should just go ahead and do it, then spice it up with processing as much as you need, but its really a thing, doing songs with only sounds you recorded yourself.

its also fun to source your own samples, but at the same time i feel you shouldnt have to go to far with it, i remember klute saying him and his crew would only use breaks from the first edition vinyl 7"s, otherwise they simply wouldnt do it, and its easy to get that way once you start, but its silly. ill sample from an 128 kbps mp3 if it does what i want it do, i dont care, im really over that purist phase. ill never stop striving for originality and detailed craftmanship in my work, both of which take up like 120% of my capacity and both of which the listener couldnt give a fuck less about, but its not about that, its about making art the way you feel your art, as in how you want to express yourself artistically, has to be made. you feel it inside, and its impossible to get away from or probably even explain, but i think you know what i mean

my intention is to have the bulk of my tunes made with my own recorded sounds, rely on synths as little as possible and never touch a sample pack again.

drums could be hard, but i think they will be predominantly funk breaks (as they are now) with foley layers.

literally all my ideas for tunes at the moment are focused around foleys, but i don't have a fecking microphone so i feel shit fucking unmotivated as balls to do anything.

I'm sticking with synths ftmp, but atm am challenging myself to use one, maybe two pre-made samples at max, and combinations of synths and samples for drums. Really wanting to try "strange" breaks, more jazzy-style stuff and experimental breaks (don't necessarily have to be funk breaks) where I still have tons of room to thicken them up with fuller percussion.

The idea of everything being entirely your is great, but still I don't think I could abstain from synths cus they're a lot of fun imo. I think il look into one of those zoom field recorders in the near future. I really like the idea of sampling from vinyl but how the heck do you do that with out quality loss?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I've just got some cheapo dynamic mic it's a lot of fun recording your own sounds. Then yeah, stretch it/shrink it/pitch it up/down/distort etc and you'll have something in your song that is 100% original. Great fun.

I really like the idea of sampling from vinyl but how the heck do you do that with out quality loss?

by quality loss, do you mean surface noise? lol, record from vinyl properly and it will sound amazing.

also, here's a kicker, NOT EVERY SAMPLE IN YOUR TUNES HAS TO BE HIGH QUALITY, ELECTRONIC MUSIC DOES NOT HAVE TO BE STERILE!!!

My sis is going to school for audio post production so we can rent out mics from her school for free. Not sure what mic it is tho. Its really fun tho. You can get exactly what you want and know that no one else has used that sound before

I use an Edirol UA-25 with a couple different mics for sampling. If you are in studio recording you can set up a nice little enclosure for isolating the sounds, but outside, you are best off to get a decent shotgun mic. I run everything on my laptop and carry it in a bag and use a pole mount for the mics.
A great idea for foley recordings is to run them through a vocoder on the mids and highs of bass lines for some great movement.
Also great to chop up some for percussion.

Check out Billains youtube channel, he has a couple vids showing some recordings he made and used on a couple of his tracks. Also, there is a video for Transformers 3 sound design and they show how they did some of those sounds as well. If anyone ends up getting into recording some dry ice like they used in that vid, upload some samples!

I record ambience for my tracks, such as rain, wind, bird chitter and so on. Otherwise il stick to my soft synths and old school sampling :P

I have used a zoom recorder and an Edirol. I actually preferred the zoom one even though it is a lot cheaper. Not just for sound but for ease of use and how it works.

I use the zoom h2 for field recording aswell. Great little thing

I use an Edirol UA-25 with a couple different mics for sampling. If you are in studio recording you can set up a nice little enclosure for isolating the sounds, but outside, you are best off to get a decent shotgun mic. I run everything on my laptop and carry it in a bag and use a pole mount for the mics.
A great idea for foley recordings is to run them through a vocoder on the mids and highs of bass lines for some great movement.
Also great to chop up some for percussion.

Check out Billains youtube channel, he has a couple vids showing some recordings he made and used on a couple of his tracks. Also, there is a video for Transformers 3 sound design and they show how they did some of those sounds as well. If anyone ends up getting into recording some dry ice like they used in that vid, upload some samples!

So do you mean to use the foleys as a modulator for the carrier bass in a vocoder?

Back
Top Bottom