Who does it better? Maduk or Dawn Wall?

All that tosh is to Dnb as what DJ Quicksilver, Eiffel 65 and Sash! were to Trance back in the day. Dnb with the fucking soul ripped out of it. Fucking antichrist. More respect for Jump Up tbh.

I think thats a bit far. admittedly some of his tunes can verge a bit on cheese but stuff like this definitely has a 'soul', and definitely feels like a continuation of the old netsky vibe.

I think thats a bit far. admittedly some of his tunes can verge a bit on cheese but stuff like this definitely has a 'soul', and definitely feels like a continuation of the old netsky vibe.

Yeah people love to hate, there are definite stand out tunes in his back catalog (in my opinion at least), i also liked his latest release, tunes with Nymfo and Logi where on point.

Tunes above may be on the "Cheesier side" but i like them.

Yeah people love to hate, there are definite stand out tunes in his back catalog (in my opinion at least), i also liked his latest release, tunes with Nymfo and Logi where on point.

Tunes above may be on the "Cheesier side" but i like them.

Nah mate not hating tbh only just decided to check it out today, checked a few of the suggestions that we're on youtube and made my analysis. I'll just choose to never listen to any of that stuff again. Got intrigued as it was being compared to Dawn Wall and there is no comparison whatsoever. If you like it fair play, each to their own.

When did liquid stop being Calibre, Carlito & Addiction, Alix Perez (dependent on which hat he's wearing), Solid State, Fellowship, etc etc.

This newer 'liquid' has none of that funk or soul that gave liquid it's name 15+ years ago. Probably why the cool kids dropped the funk off the end. Maduk stuff sounds like High Contrast meets Pendulum trying really hard to be a chart success.

THIS is what I call liquid funk.

don't know about you but i enjoy the fact that as a genre DnB is one of the fastest moving, most innovative sounds going. If everything stayed sounding the same it would just get boring.

Go and listen to calibres entire back catalogue if nothing these days is doing it for you. and like i said previously there's no point comparing calibre to anyone else because he does his own thing.

don't know about you but i enjoy the fact that as a genre DnB is one of the fastest moving, most innovative sounds going. If everything stayed sounding the same it would just get boring.

Go and listen to calibres entire back catalogue if nothing these days is doing it for you. and like i said previously there's no point comparing calibre to anyone else because he does his own thing.

I agree with part of what you're saying but the tunes I heard above.... Nothing new or innovative to me I'm afraid.

i really hate the fact its called liquid in the first place. gotta be a better name for it

I think theyre Progressive House with a dnb beat if anything, search Youtube for a Progressive house mix, sounds are all exactly the same, same singing.

I agree with part of what you're saying but the tunes I heard above.... Nothing new or innovative to me I'm afraid.

I do agree with this - whilst the initial point raised was a good one, it all sounds very much like hospital stuff from a few years ago.

Obviously it's not my cup of tea, so I will be slightly biased against it as opposed to stuff I like, but I still don't see the progression argument that much.

Re comparisons to Calibre: of course he does his own thing, but the vast majority of what he makes is liquid, and is, in my eyes at least, the benchmark against which all else is set. His variety and number of productions are testament to that. My initial point regarding that was in relation to the liquid crown idea.

I totally get why some of you wouldn't like his stuff. Some of it is definitely on the cheesier side but I think he does a really good job of making catchy tunes without going overboard. I totally believe this is what Netsky's sound would have evolved into if he didn't fall off. He's got those late 2000's liquid wubs down to a science. Not that I think he owns the liquid crown or that he's necessarily better than Dawn Wall, I just think some of you take the stuff on Liquicity a little too seriously.

Also if this isn't liquid then I don't even know anymore....

I can understand both sides -- I used to be a fan of the whole liquicity kinda sound a few years ago actually. This was before I was eager to find out about the history of dnb.
I totally get why some of you wouldn't like his stuff. Some of it is definitely on the cheesier side but I think he does a really good job of making catchy tunes without going overboard. I totally believe this is what Netsky's sound would have evolved into if he didn't fall off. He's got those late 2000's liquid wubs down to a science. Not that I think he owns the liquid crown or that he's necessarily better than Dawn Wall, I just think some of you take the stuff on Liquicity a little too seriously.

Also if this isn't liquid then I don't even know anymore....

The term "liquid" is kinda thrown around a lot if you ask me. Personally I'm with @iamdjsimm on what I think "liquid (funk)" is all about -- the sound Fabio was pushing back then.
Nice one!

liquid ran out of steam and started repeating itself a while ago, very few people doing anything new in the genre

He's a good producer, but I find Maduk's stuff overwhelmingly conventional. just the same kind of sounds we've all heard before really. It's definitely appealing to the crowds that are into the same shit done over, but it sounds so incredibly stale to me. A comparable producer would be someone like Keeno who brought a really cool new take on the sound and dabbles in sounding different, and is just as young and new.

I can understand both sides -- I used to be a fan of the whole liquicity kinda sound a few years ago actually. This was before I was eager to find out about the history of dnb.

The term "liquid" is kinda thrown around a lot if you ask me. Personally I'm with @iamdjsimm on what I think "liquid (funk)" is all about -- the sound Fabio was pushing back then.

Nice one!

I could be completely wrong in what I'm saying here but from around 2000-2004 a lot of the liquid funk I was playing came out of the hospital camp. London Elek, High Contrast, Logistics, Nu Tone & co we're to me pushing a clean, forward thinking kind of liquid funk. It was Calibre minus the rawness if that makes sense? (Calibre's production is clean as hell but he has that analogue / old skool sound nailed. His best tunes sound like they should be played on a gramophone :) ( - this is a prime example ) ). As that progressed into what is now hospital today I think the name just stayed with them. High Contrast moved into the chart trap (which was a shame as his first 2 albums were some of the best stuff to come out of hospital) and it's like the whole camp saw that as there way to secure a healthy career.

As for liquicity, this forum in the last couple of months is the only place I've heard of it. I really don't know much about it at all.

I miss the old liquid funk days. That Calibre track above brings back so many memories of a beautiful era of music!

i just think you're all so quick to brand what maduk and similarly sounding guys are doing as bland and unimaginative, when you just don't understand who its aimed at. Obviously it's not going to be played at a critical night but it's still got artistic merit. His melodies and top lines are some of the best in dnb, same sort of level as metrik/old netsky/dimension.

and to the comment saying it's like progressive house - does that mean anything with a vocal is progressive house?

Back
Top Bottom