whistle sound coming from my bass??

Lucidproduction

i aint fraid of no ghosts
VIP Junglist
hey i need help people im having real trouble with my bass (sub-bass) right now

i dont know if it was so bad before but bassicaly im trying to use a sine wave or a triangle wave for my bass in THOR and its going through a low pass filter which is turned right down to the bottom.

im getting this whistling sound coming from the bass is this normal???

i figured it sounds like sucha high pitch whistle that if i use and equalizer and cut off the top from 10khz then it should disappear but this is not the case, it only disappears when i remove a big chunk around just under 70hz but obvious this removes the "bass" aswell

are my speakers fucked or is this normal??

anybody good at reason???

Last edited:
Get a parametric EQ out. Make the bandwidth small and peak it high. Now search for the freq. that causes a high sound or whistling sound.

look at brookes brother's videos

Lucid, do you have a spectrum analyzer?

I'm pretty good with reason, I've had the same problem. I would cut a freq and the sound wouldnt go away. It even showed up on my spectrum. I took two Mclass equalizers and cut both at the same freq IN SERIES to really remove that f0cking frequency. But to no avail.

So yea I guess that doesnt answer your question. But try to reduce resonance as others have mentioned. Also, open up your thor and change your low pass ladder to a BANDPASS filter. This will allow you to HEAR every band as you sweep through, then you can target the freq you want to kill.

Using an Mclass Eq can do the same thing just by sweeping a thin shelf across the spectrum. Either way is good.

Have you checked out the really really high frequencies? Like 20k? Sometimes those sneak up with some weird noises.

EDIT: I just thought of this, you may have a nasty wall right at 70hz. Your active freq is extremely narrow, and the knob resolution may not even be enough to remove that tight whistyle sound at 70.

For example, your bass sounds good at 70hz, but you may be hearing that nasty squeal at 70.35 hz or something. It's so steep that you may have a hard time removing that because your bass will go with it. I dunno, just speculating. I would have to see your thor patch, you can email it to me if you want. PM me.

Last edited:
if i use and equalizer and cut off the top from 10khz then it should disappear but this is not the case, it only disappears when i remove a big chunk around just under 70hz but obvious this removes the "bass" aswell

the first thing i tried was removing the high frequencys as it is a high pitch noise almost ultra sound like.

i did not put any resonance on the filter...

i really appretiate you guys trying to help but as i stated see i know which frequencys are causing this sound and it is around 50hz. the frequency which i need for "bass"

will pm u dan

im sure my speakers are the problem now as i hav been going through different sub-basses in malstrom aswell as thor and i have been going through the premade patches for bass that reason factory sound bank has and anything that is mainly just a sub-bass or a sine wav is giving me this whistle noise... i need to get some monitors

i tried eq ing out a whistling bass once and what it actually did was completely destroy the actual sound of the bass....
i guess it depends on how much of a spread of frequencies the whistle is going over.. if its very small u can probs do it easy

mind if your not using monitors that cud be the problem as u strain ordinary speakers easily when playing heavy bass through them

its still there in the headphones just not as annoying (im guesing because the freq range on them doesnt go as low as my sub)

im gonna come to the conclussion that im just shit at producing coz i dont know wot to do

its in the sub layer. ive got monitors now and its still there and i dont know what to do...

as i said it is in the bass frequencies, which i need for sub-bass. i appretiate you all helping but please read what im saying properly.

to cut out the whistle i have to cut out the bass frequencies 39-78hz, and i need them.

there is no way of getting rid of the whistle

if anybody knows why its making this noise maybe my soundcard is shit or something??

help please

Back
Top Bottom