Whiny thread about making bad music

JimpaDirt

Vettvilling
VIP Junglist
Yeah its another one of those! Just felt like I had to be terribly self-destructive online.

Im never happy with anything I make!!! I tend to just make tunes, almost finnish them and when im the last processes of the tune I end up thinking to myself: this is shit. Then I just leave it there and never touch it again. I'ts been like this for about half a year or so... sometimes when this happends I just push trough it because I want to finnish something so badly but It doesnt make me think that it sounds good.

Fuck, having lower standards on yourself is hard. Guess that's whats keeping me back. Is there anyone that is a shrink around here? Psychological bullshit!

i dont normally get to the end before i think theyre shit lol
have loads of projects of 1-2mins of music
just bite the bullet and finish them - move on to pastures new.
thats my advice.
its hard but you probably need to break that pattern m8

Trying out different genres or taking a decent break from creative things and just focus on learning some new technical things always does the trick for me.

Last edited:
Lol, I pictured you as the guy in your sig just deleted channels left and right gettin rid of all that hard work haha. But yea just go try something totally different. Can't make phat ass liquid funk neuro bass reese jump tech fat step? Try and write some jazz, just get a nice walking bass line, swingin' drum beat and some lil guitar chords over top....ohhh yeahhh

Been trying different genres, and been having breaks for a day, sometimes a week. What makes the most sense to me is jim's suggestion to just push trough... even tho its so difficult when you dont really feel the track you are working on.

Lol, I pictured you as the guy in your sig just deleted channels left and right gettin rid of all that hard work haha.

Its actually a replica of me, trying to make music. nojoke!!!

just listened to dead weight. you really need to let up on yourself, just keep making tunes. your last tune tells me you will eventually get there.

Ive been on this tip for time. My best advice is to send it to people that will give you an honest review, not just "yeh mates cool".. Some people will like, some will hate, but at least your getting some feedback. best way to progress i recon.

But these threads!!! LOL

Thanks smith! It's probably the hardest thing to listen to your own track without just looking for faults haha.

Russla, we are very depressed here in the production section. Its the emo part of the forum, so thats how it goes!

Changing your routine can help i think, even as simple as learning a different DAW so you change the way you think about workflow, or even setting a time limit by which you must finish a track (I read one producer interview where he said if i wasn't done in say 2 days he would bin it and move on, because as you revisit stuff too much you get too fixated on the detail). Your stuff is good though Jim, just needs that extra 'je ne sais quoi' I think we all seek :D

woah its only you faggots making it whiny :teeth:

the production forum was a tumbleweed, infrequent affair before ha!

Ahh yes........the good ol "I hate myself because my music isnt as good as I want it to be, and I know I can do better" thread......

Trust me fella, when it comes to hating on yourself because of your music, I'm ya man! Serious! Anyone whos anyone around here will know and tella ya I'm the most self critical, self hating mo-fo in town! You aint never gonna take my crown! ;)

In all seriousness tho, I have found a new lease of life since joining up with friends and changing style to the deep 140bpm dubstep I'm creating now. Might be all you need? something fresh and new to try your hand at?

Cheers fletch, always feels good when someone's had it worse ;D haha

Yeah I guess thats the thing. You have to mess about with all of these "tricks" until you see what's working for you.

dead weight is pretty dope. so yeah just finish it before you think its rubbish, and when the time comes youll have great tunes in short amounts of time ;)

soo, work on your workflow id say

Dead Weight is awesome man, I think I'm in the same boat as you though haha, just not sure how to progress to the next 'step'!

Fletch is right though I think, whenever I get bored/sick of listening to the same thing over and over again I just go and make some random shit then come back, 9/10 you gain like 2 or 3 new projects which is always good :zest:

Back
Top Bottom