which software?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Flatmatt, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

Need a bit of advice people. I've just bought myself a laptop and want to get some better software than the "Magix Music Maker" i have on my desktop. I'm thinking about getting pro-tools but i'm not convinced. anybody got any ideas as to what i could get along the same vein £180-200?

2. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

Got given a copy of Cubase SX (not sure which version) last night so should be sorted! (might still get pro tools aswell)

3. rwafish

rwafish New Member

Don't bother with Pro-Tools, it'll be a waste of time if you're just starting, plus you'll need to get all the peripherals like a decent soundcard etc. Pro tools is great for audio but I would imagine if you're into DNB then your going to be using a lot of midi stuff which Cubase is perfect for.

There is no point having more than one sequencer/DAW. My advice, spend the money on a midi controller keyboard and a soft synth. IMO this will give you more for you're money.

Monitoring is THE MOST imporatant thing if you seriously want to get into production, If you're gonna be making music on the move get yourself a good pair of studio headphones like BeyerDynamic DT100 or DT770's.

Hope this helps

4. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

Cheers, that helps (a bit, i'm still getting used to using Cubase!) i've already got some sennheiser HD25's so sorted there. Look's like a MIDI controller is next on the list!

Is it better to use samples in MIDI format then? All the ones that i've got are WAV...

5. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

no no flatmatt there is no such thing as a midi sample.
    samples are wav and you can controll them via midi.
    theres a good 'make beats in cubase audio' on DOA which will give you the basics for sequencing stuff.
    get a softsampler like halion or kontact and a good sturdy softsynth. there are millions of really great free ones and effects and all. if you want to check out some cool stuff, check out the production forum at bollocks.reactorstudios.nl full with cool stuff for making jungle tunes

6. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

AARRRGGHH!!! It's all so confusing!! thanks for the help though guys. i'm still having problems getting to grips with the program, but i'm sure i'll get there!

7. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

Its all about Logic Pro. But Im assuming you have a PC?!

8. rwafish

rwafish New Member

MIDI stands for Musical Instrument/Digital Interface all it really is is an on off switch for your samples.

You put your sample file into a samle player(these can be WAV, REX, or loads more-google for more info) a midi keyboards keys are the on/off switches to trigger your samples.

try this for more detail http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/whatmidi.htm

9. elan

elan New Member

I love Renoise Tracker...

10. ecken

ecken New Member

Yea, i would spend the money on a midi controller then, it helps ya alot when your sketching out chords and melodies. Its also good for recording automation (mods,fx,vol, etc) that and testing out how an instrument sounds like. All Software can be downloaded now adays with bittorrent.

11. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

As you may well have noticed, i started a thread about how excited i am about having ordered a brand new Macbook Pro with Logic Pro 7.2, so i'm now well sorted (i've also managed to steal a Alesis MIDI controller of a mate!)

This does however mean that i'm gonna be asking alot more advice over the next few months, so brace yourselves fellas!! :teeth:

12. i.am

i.am Currently in motion

Renoise and Cubase are what I'm rocking right now,

But as for advice, honestly, every sequener be it hardware or software helps you achieve your goal, which is to make tunes. So It's not really what you use but how you use it. You will hear a lot of people slating Reason, Fruity, Renoise, Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Albeton etc... It's human nature to be a bit biased. My advice try out demos of sequencers and just decide on which one you can groove with. Then once you've found one, practice, practice, practice, and study. Yeah I said study. Read articles, look on forums, ask questions. Then practice some more.

13. chrisb

chrisb New Member

personally im just too poor/immature/unadventuras to upgrade to cubase though iv had a copy for about a month. Personally youll save money and time if you buy fruity loops xxl edition. Mines of ebay, I wouldnt like to speculate on its legality tho.....
    ez

14. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

I've thought about getting Fruity Loops aswell, I really don't want to produce everything entirely on 1 program as you can obviously get slightly different sounds from each software package.

I also know about 4 people who use Logic so i'll be able to get a bit of help getting to grips with it!