Which soft synths do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Production' started by BassGorilla.com, Dec 16, 2013.

1. BassGorilla.com

BassGorilla.com Founder BassGorilla.com

Recently I've been getting into Razor and I love it, because it's much simpler than other synths and you can get some wicked sounds out of it easily.

Another favourite at the moment is Ableton Operator. When you layer up different instances of Operator in an instrument rack by duplicating the first one, then slightly adjust the spread and fine tuning on the 2nd one, you can get a really phat sound for bass.

One synth that is really powerful, but I find difficult to get my head around is Gladiator.

Just interested to see what you guys recommend, for:

A: Bass
    B: Lead synths

2. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

you what i found it in logic (sorry if you dont have logic) the es2 is one HELL of a synth! also the esm is so simple buty the sound out of there can be very big for basses... only lacking on the movement front

3. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

I can never get along with the es2, maybe its just the gui but the filtering and modulation just seems to be a bit limited. Retro synth, esm and esp are huge though.

With other softsynths, ive been having a play with Sinevibes Torsion which you can get some some sick sounds with if you know how to process additive stuff properly (AU only haha luke). I really recommend Zeta+2 for basses, because its got great phat sound and the wave shapings handy.

When it comes to leads, i'm god awful at making good ones, but really, any busy synth can make them well. I take Synthmaster out once in a while (i should a lot more), and thats got heaps of flexibility options for making leads, and its got all the stuff you need for leads (Arp, good delay, good verb, a titload of oscillators). It can do everything sylenth can do, +10x more, and sounds just as good.

4. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

yeah es2 is not my go to synth can spend hours in there not really accomplishing much but for leads and shit you can get some nice shit

5. mugatu

mugatu Verva Music

Es2 is more of a leads synth, its fm synthesis can make really distorted jump up leads, you can modulate the waveforms, called osc1wave. Its sound quality is far better than massive, that phase thing on massive just makes a mess of the sound. Backing up razor, love the comb filters on it.

6. [unknown]

[unknown] sublime stylee ;8

fab filter twin 2 is great for cheesy soft pads, synplant is a pretty fun synth, made by the dude who made reason's maelstrom and it has a very unique way of making sounds when you feel a writers block. massive is my go to synth simply because im very used to it at this point and i can create a sound much easier than on another synth im not as familiar with ;0

7. AzUK

AzUK Member

For bass: I tend to use either Harmor and Sytrus for the synthetic sounds, and mostly Kontakt for organic sounds.
    For everything else my main go-to is Kontakt.

AS you can tell, I'm a huge fan of sampled instruments.

8. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Synapse dune is a very nice sounding synth

9. Xenofish

Xenofish New Member

I use for bass-sounds Absynth and Lazerbass from Reaktor5 (I prefer Lazerbass over Razor, because it has more controllable resonances).
    For arpsynths, I use also Absynth and sometimes Harmor or surge.

10. Interruptor

Interruptor Member

Lately been going for Monark for bass and 303ish stuff. Besides that, Massive, Razor, Sytrus and 3osc. I can't get myself to label synths to "leads only" or "bass only" synths - Its either mono or poly, substractive or FM for me :)