Which program are you using to make music?

Laadinek

Hey guys,
I am writing for a help and advise here. I am using Reason 3 and Cubase SX3 (but I don`t have no VSTs), I am not very satisfied with Reason - where I make samples and Cubase - where I complete the song by stacking samples (I don`t think I am using it in its full capacity), so I would like to know which program would you consider to be the best to make music in. Cheers. Benjy.

Iam really into Reason since 2002... now Ive R3.04. but I use Cubase SX3 too... not often. mostly for sample editing and stuff... yea logic is wicked too... got it for a wile but after I updated my hardware completely I never installed it again... :/

peace. respect. :)

Acid Pro 6 (purchased)

I think Ableton is more powerful as it allows for effects side chaining but I can't get my head into it, its pretty difficult to go from Acid Pro where you can edit the actual wav files in real time, to ableton where everything is hidden and you have to toggle between two screens. I do like the built in sampler they have with it. I might try to play with it again but Acid Pro is more straight foward and easy.

Last edited:
I use Cubase SX3 with Kontakt and loadsa VST's and thats it..........
I have all my beats and synths saved as kontakt loops so i can just bring up a loop like in a DR Rex or a synth patch like in a VST synth straight off the bat without pissing about loading samples etc.....
that is why Reason (or Acid don't get upset :teeth:) is still the best tool for speed and ease of use, it does not get in the way of the creative process by being time consuming but it does lack sound quality and control on mixdowns.
To sum up:
Reason or Acid for ease of idea creation and realization of creative ideas.
Cubase or Logic for the quality but they are a bit technically deep to give you musical freedom.
I don't use Reason or Acid because i have found quick ways of working in Cubase and shortcuts to save time.

Last edited:
Nuendo 3 for the sequencing....
most synthesis is done in a combination of
reaktor and absynth.... i love the absynth waveshapper...
and the 64 stage jump envelopes.....
and the modular nature of reaktor....
being able to mod synths... add parts of other synths
to them etc etc....
(thoroughly recomend watching the absynth
tutorial dvd if people can get their hands on it
inspiring stuff)
sampling is mainly done inside kontakt 2.....
love the kontakt filters....
though truth be told i prefer to work mainly with
audio inside the arrange page.... so most of the kontakt
work i do is quickly bounced down.....
then its really just URS compressors and eqs.....
psp compressors and saturators delays and filters.....
(mix saturator is old now but still an amazing program)
and some of the waves plugs..... SSL plug is amazing...
what it all boils down to though is good quality samples....

EDIT..... and antares tube..... love it...

Last edited:
Logic on the Mac all the way mate. a bit pricey though, but you can pick up logic express for about a £100. the good thing about logic is they have onboard synths, samplers,etc. as for third party VSTs, AUs, if your skint like me, theres always a place called demonoid.com.
hope you get it going soon.
ps Battery3 all the way for your drums!!!
respect
high times

http://www.soundclick.com/hightimesUK

!!!!!!!!!!RENOISE!!!!!!!!!! - sequencer&sampler
Ableton - live performance
MC303 - sample source
VST Pholscyon - Acid sounds
Sound Forge - Record/cut
VST GLITCH - To modify samples

Logic on the Mac all the way mate. a bit pricey though, but you can pick up logic express for about a £100. the good thing about logic is they have onboard synths, samplers,etc. as for third party VSTs, AUs, if your skint like me, theres always a place called demonoid.com.
hope you get it going soon.
ps Battery3 all the way for your drums!!!
respect
high times

http://www.soundclick.com/hightimesUK

Cheers mate!

Back
Top Bottom