Which octave do you usually write basslines in?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
Dumb question, but is there a general octave everyone uses to write basslines? Or is it always different?

my tunes are often (but some vary)

G as the root note
C1/2 as my octave (on the piano roll depending on how the synth is put together)
and have no fucking clue about scales

It dosnt really matter that much, if you are using a low note as your route note like C or D you might want to go with an octave high if your going For an A, F, G or E you prob wanna go low, alot of it depends on the sound of bass and such. I use a range of route notes certain routes pertain to certain styles such as liquid and lighter stuff is often (not always) in D,C,A Grimier/darker tunes are often (but not always) In E, G, F, A. I tend to go with A for alot of my tunes its a versatile key and alot of other tunes are in A, helps for an easily mixable tune and such. hope this helps... There is also a Major and Minor Scale read out somewhere in the FL studio thread that is a good bit to throw on the NOTEPAD for reference.

38 hz E is pretty low, so I try and keep the bassline melody so that it doesn't go lower than that. Transpose it if necessary. E, F, F sharp and G are my favourite sub notes. That doesn't mean that the key will be one of those either, it might be in A with a melody descending down to E or anything really.

ok thanks for the replies

the reason i asked i because i know a lot of dnb producers use low octaves for basslines

well i was following some youtube tutorials for making basslines but the patches sounded total shit in low octaves, also the same thing for most of the preset patches i checked out

like most of them only sounded good in c4 and c5 octaves?

we got a red plastic mic out and ran that through an analog compressor from the 70s, through a soundcraft desk and into a revox reel to reel tape machine. recorded a darbuka, pitched that down and its the crunchiest sub ever. i love the revox, it is the hippest shit in america.

i remember a time when logikz answered a question with complete jibberish

and i remember a time when logikz answered a question fluently, legibily and most importnatly relevantly

now... its both

ive come full circle, i feel.
its like last night when we used a vsti synth with a few effects on top, sounded just fine,
but thats highly uncharacteristic for us, we like to resample something fierce.

logikz has spent years culminating the process of writing something both so universally concrete, and yet fictionally abstract, no-one is sure whether to laugh or call social services nowdays.

when i realized the discussion (about music and how to make it etc) is largely philosophical, i lost the plot. i thought it was serious business in the beginning and i think im making up for that. following some personal scheme that has no relevance to anyone else whatsoever. glad you like it all the same lucid.

Logikz is like the mad scientist of the community, full of utter shit, but sometimes, that utter shit is simply pure genius!

He's like the Rainman!

Back
Top Bottom