Which member of the Wu-Tang clan is your favourite?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by DeeGun, May 20, 2012.

?

Which member of the Wu-Tang clan is your favourite?

1. RZA

31.8%
  2. GZA

18.2%
  3. Ghostface Killah

9.1%
  4. Inspectah Deck

18.2%
  5. U-God

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Masta Killa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Method Man

59.1%
  8. ODB (RIP)

27.3%
  9. Raekwon

9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Got thru all my 90s hip hop stuff this weekend and realized that only 4 members of the clan did it into my collection with at least one of their solo albums - GZA (Liquid Swords & Beneath the Surface), Raekwon (Only Built 4 Cuban Linx), ODB (Return to the 36 Chambers) and Method Man (Tical). Multiple choice, no closing time of poll.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Those are the four I would mention.

Personally I would twist your poll up a bit and count these two as one. They're never to be repeated that's for sure. Cried real tears when ODB died. Sad times.

[​IMG]

3. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

Its always been the ruler zig zag allah for me. Never met anybody who agrees! but not because of his position as a producer and founder but purely based on his ability as an MC. his verses on the second album always stand out as being some of the most technical ive heard anywhere

But if we are talking solo albums, his Bobby Digital alias usually left something to be desired, then id have to say the ticallian stallian was my favourite in that department. But i voted RZA so ther you go

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Lol didnt realize multiple choice, nm

4. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

RZA all the way.

5. ONSLAUGHT88

ONSLAUGHT88 I sees ya I do I sees ya

Method gets my vote, his husky voice does it for me.

6. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Yer..wasn´t too sure about that option because I asked "which member"..but it might be a hard decision for some people. I still don´t know yet :D

7. underspawn

underspawn Headz Roll

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  8. Scatcat

Scatcat It don't mean shit

yeah i coudn't pick s went RZA, GZA, Ghostface, Method ODB

9. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

id say ghosts first album belongs with the greats, but it stopped after that. capadonnas first album showed a serious decline in quality. could be heavy mental also belongs with the greats come to think of it, and beneath the surface has one or two worthy songs but other than that it was pretty disappointing.

id say rza or odb. or meth or gza of course. no wait rae or ghost. no wait i shit i cant choose.

10. ThePapa

Hey can we start this thread again I only got to vote once?

11. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

odb by miles!

12. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I predict that Inspectah Deck, U-God & Masta Killa go out 0 on this one :teeth:
    Checked No said date and Made in Brooklyn the other day..not bad..if those would be instrumentals :D

13. logikz

i think so too, but that is not to say that they are in any way less good, i think they are criminally underrated. its u-god thats on killa hill negers isnt it? or was it inspecta deck. his verse is tremendous on that song, its just that rza completely murders it before he gets on. its not easy to follow something like that, one of rzas best verses. inspecta decks movers and shakers is dench, as it were.

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

then there were a plethora of associated acts like killa army, suns of man, gp wu and i came to suspect many of these guys never rapped in their life before they were put in a group by rza so as to cash in on the wu tang hype, like, literally cash in. cos they sound like they never said one rhyme before going into the booth that day. but classic material all the same

14. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

Sort of related...

[video=youtube_share;jmRcGDWP46M]http://youtu.be/jmRcGDWP46M[/video]

Woo-Hah! I got y'all in check!

15. chrisv10

chrisv10 New Member

Raekwon and Ghostface on the whole of the cuban linx album where fire. That's a album up there with the greats!

16. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

yeah, that album is good..most of the old ones are tho. Everything released after the millenium didn´t appeal to me. I´m not a Ghostface fan in general, its not about his rapping tho. Not a fan of the music that goes with it.

17. ThePapa

I've never even heard of Masta Killa...

18. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

thats a joke. you are joking?

19. ThePapa

No. He must have sucked big time. And I dont mean cock.

20. logikz

ghosts albums with dangermouse, good call, thats quality hip hop, so thats an exception. the latest, legendary weapons i think its called,
    is good but there is still alot filler tunes on there with throwaway beats, inexperienced rappers rapping gangster style lyrics
    which im getting pretty confused with as of late. what does it mean? when rae and ghost did the gangster thing on
    cuban linx that meant something, it was right out of scarface, there was a real gangster pastiche about it,
    some early 70s type gangster talk with the velvet slacks gold cuff links sky blue wallies and cross pendant,
    it was real in the sense that they had perfected a writing style to portray that specific kind of gangster,
    and i can fully appreciate that. but when its some random guy, cousin jamal or whatever,
    they just put on the mic saying something about cars guns and kidnap i start to lose faith.
    but the latest one is really strong, surprisingly strong actually. not very good but still. then the album before this one,
    i think its called 8 diagrams is even better actually.
    wu has a tendency to take a whole star cast of rappers, like snoop, odb, meth and lets say too short and jay-z,
    which cant have been easy to get together and then put one of their weak plasticcy horrendous synthesizer beats for them to rap on,
    and its so fking poor, its so poor you cant believe its actually happening.
    see i have a theory on how that came to be.
    the wu tang hype was so big at one point they could do anything they liked and it would turn into gold, regardless of what it sounded like.
    wu tang went so far in business there was wu tang beauty salons with wu tang own brand nail polish.
    they were about the money and they would put together groups of people they just felt should be making money,
    did some beats, wrote them some rhymes, and off you go. but it gets even worse, cos if you listen to the early five or six albums
    (i. e the only ones that really matter) its mainly sampled stuff, its sampled strings and keys from various
    shaolin movies and soul record from the 70s coupled with sp-1200 drums or breaks. but its mainly sampled phrases.
    then after that, starting round capadonnas first album and continuing on with gzas beneath the surface (and peaking in bobby digitals first album, its a great example of what im saying here, check that tune when rza raps over what sounds like a war film military ambiance kind of compostition with no drums, its sooo fking poor. there are one or two good songs on it but not more, certainly not)
    something has happened to the production. its all synthesizer with drummachines and romplers.
    for example gzas liquid swords was a tape track symphony, and you can hear that. the sound is incredible on that album, some of the keyboards on there are a little off but it only adds to the genius of it. very much unlike what was about to happen later.
    they say the wu tang studio on staten island was flooded and all the equipment was lost to water damage
    and so were heaps and heaps of tapes with unreleased material. i dont know when that happened of it has any bearing
    on how the music changed but my theory is, its because of money. it costs money to use sampled phrases in music,
    specially hip hop has a million dollar industry around it based on clearing samples, there are lawyers in america specialized in that and all,
    and its my theory that the reason why the sound changed all of a sudden, from awesome kick ass shaolin sample based hip hop to completely
    unmusical nonsensical derivative sterile digital casio fisherprice my first hip hop song some of these songs sound like they been written by a six year old for fucks sake,
    listen to the drums on any wu tang record from lets say triumph and on, its the same damn pattern! kick-kick-snare. kick-kick-snare.
    it was cool on wu tang clan aint nuttin ta f$£k with, it was heavy as hell on that song but got old reeeal fast after that.
    they seemed to have that pattern on speed dial after that and told all their in-house wack ass producers
    (rza, tru masta, 4th disciple and a few more i dont remember now, if you look at the credits of all the albums
    youll find everyone has produced one or two tunes of their own, meth did the last song on t2:judgement day, gza did lots of songs on pro tools
    which he named after the software he used to write it with for fucks sake what the hell is that. imagine that, think about it, they are so big they can put someone who doesnt know how to make music in front of the computer and just let her rip and whatever comes out the other end is whats going on that record. thats insane. its so fucking arrogant and stupid. but gza took to it really well, and subsequently named his album the name of the program he used to write it that daft bastard) to use it indiscriminately.
    wu tang forever is a great example of the new musical direction they took that im talking about. buying beats in hip hop is a major business,
    a pete rock beat can sell for 100s of thousands of dollars, and wu tang got around that for a long time by making their own beats.
    they were terrible beats but hey at least they were free. it raped their whole legacy, shit like the atrocity that is cuban linx 2 and specially the lex diamond story
    really drove the nails into the coffin.
    its only when ghost did fishscale (i think?) with dangermouse, an outside producer for the first time in many many years that
    the quality was back on form the way it should be, problem was thats like 15 years, 200 albums and much much too late.
    i dont care about wu tang any more. but i couldve tattooed the W when i was a kid.
    had plans on getting the ODB W tattooed cos its the nicest looking one, isnt it. really really glad i didnt. that would have looked fking stupid not to mention id have gotten raped in jail.

pretty long post, you wanna tl:dr, im telling my theory on why wu tangs music got so terribly poor all of a sudden, from around the last part of the 90s and on.
    wu tang got so greedy for money after the six first albums that they switched from awesome sample based beats
    to synth based beats so as not to have to clear samples and pay royalties. problem was none of them know how to play the keyboard,
    and surrounded by an army of yes-men, the music went to shit. here are a few examples (there are countless examples of this from as early as gravediggaz second album)

here are some: