which is most important in a mix

djs: what is most important in a mix...

• tight mixing (eq mixing, double drops, etc)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • track selction (dubs, the freshest tracks, etc)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • "reading the crowd"

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • all of the above

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
I agree all the above are vital in a mix, but for me the most important thing is to do something different than everyone else out there. It's the only way to get noticed unless you've got a dub cutter :-/

I think its a bit silly havin an 'all of the above' option because you should really consider all of those when mixin. The question should be: Which ONE of those is most important?

My 2 cents ;]

most important element w/ rant

i'm the one that picked mixing. it kind of bothers me when i go out to see someone spin and they are shitty. this goes for locals as well as international acts. we went and saw marly marl uk and total science maybe a week and a half ago (here in nc, usa), and fuck me if it wasn't damn near terrible. part of it was the sound (unusually bad for the club it was in), but i was far from impressed. played nothing even remotely new either. neither did dj lee a few months back. so fuck them. we've got kids in our crew and other locals that do a much better job. it would've been a better time staying home. i mean, anyone can get a few promos and give some head to get a gig ( i know a lot of people that do this, whether they admit to it or not!!), but it takes a hell of a lot more tallent to mix. that's the end of my ranting for the night.

i guess that's what we get for being stupid americans, eh?:mad:

i put all of the above.... of course, that doesnt count on a mixtape.

most important thing is variety. i dont want to hear a set thats all the same kind of shit... the dj needs to mix it up a little.... build it up, throw in some rinsy tracks, some more chill tracks, and then start building it up again.
some popular tracks, but not all anthems.... common sense really. id rather listen to a mix that doesnt rely on anthems to get a response.

All of the above

What's the point of a good mixer if they play shit tunes? They're just wasting their talent.

Clangers with loadsa dubs and good selection seem to get away with it though. COUGH COUGH BROCKIE COUGH :tut:

:lol:

Originally posted by DUFFMAN
i put all of the above.... of course, that doesnt count on a mixtape.

most important thing is variety. i dont want to hear a set thats all the same kind of shit... the dj needs to mix it up a little.... build it up, throw in some rinsy tracks, some more chill tracks, and then start building it up again.
some popular tracks, but not all anthems.... common sense really. id rather listen to a mix that doesnt rely on anthems to get a response.

this is what i was wondering. see, i'll play new and old, i don't really give 2shitz. but what i do care about is a flow (specially if i'm trying to move the floor). and if it's some obscure b-side that i think is gonna do that, then it'll get the needle everytime.

btw, nice to see new england massive representing...

ez
Hater

It has to be a solid set of 1991-1995 style vibes only I'm talking *new* tunes. Unfortunatly I'm one of the only ppl I know that do this. Even Total Science and Digital play boring sets to me yet they're the ones making all the nice tunes these days.

Originally posted by V Matt
It's all about the tunes for me, I can take a little bit of shoddy mixing if the tunes are doing the talking.

I'll have to agree with that!

Take Bad Company for example :D

If im on the dancefloor and the choons are rockin, I'll be happy!

Back
Top Bottom