Which format should I record a DJ mix in?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Rusket, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

Most of my tracks are mp3 files. Would recording the mix as a wav be better than recording it as an mp3?

Thanks

2. rj_dnb

rj_dnb Well-Known Member

You can't upgrade the quality by recording as WAV. If its an MP3 you're recording, then exporting as WAV, there will be no difference in audio quality, just file size. You wouldn't notice the difference in quality anyway so record as 320 :)

3. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

variable bitrate will do just fine for mixes. cbr won't do much and wastes space - but people go for 320 tag, thinking it's the best quality ever.

4. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

ok 320 it is then, cheers

5. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Nobody's gonna download a wav file Rusket use your bonce. You've posted an awful lot of technical questions recently you gonna drop a big mix on us or what?

6. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

Well I moved to a new city and I wanna play out here. Have been trying to record a promo mix for a while now, I borrowed a soundcard off a mate to record a mix but it turns out that my laptop isn't capable of recording a clean mix on goldwave or audacity (loads of skips). I'm gonna ask to borrow another mate's macbook to record it on. Will post it up soon.

7. acidos2010

acidos2010 New Member

The difference between WAV and MP3 is the quality which for most people is hardly noticeable, however for professionals and audiophiles I would recommend WAV files converted to FLAC format. FLAC format is a lossless format which means you don't lose the quality converting your WAV but save hard drive space by 50% or more.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013