which cdj's should i get??

K motion

Rollin' deep
VIP Junglist
I cant afford the cdj 1000 mk3's at a grand each its just too much! ive been looking at the cdj 800 mk2's and the cdj 400's! what do u think?

I would probably say i am a real dj, im playing at a night where goldie is headlining on the 21st march and ive had 1210's for 15 years mate its just lots of clubs are using cdj's now so i wanna learn them too! it means i can take my record collection away with me easily when i go travelling!

I've got a pair of Pioneer CDJ-800 MK2's and have played out on the MK3's. I think for dnb/dubstep the difference is minimal between the two, the MK3's look a bit snazzier and have lights around the play button etc.

@ Hazee it makes very little difference what somebody plays out on as long as it's in time and sounds good. Everybody gets a bit too hung up on vinyl, especially when a lot of lp's are offering extra on their digital downloads and cd's.

**Don't think i'm slating vinyl please, it has a warmer sound, but let's not slate cdj's either eh? I am sure there are plenty of what you would call REAL DJ's who have 1210's but have never played out, and plenty of people with CDJ's who have and vice versa.

:lol: ok well I didn't mean it like that as you have turntables and I am also considering adding a cdj to my set up but only as a 3rd deck option. I think vinyl is so much better than the digital sound from CD. Most big DJs on the scene will use the turntables and the cdj now and again and also for triple mixes and mix scratching etc.

Oh and ur only a real DJ when you can say ur headlining :lol: and don't have to name drop

I do headline at another night mate :) anyway, i think ur right vinyl sounds better and ive always said id never go to cdjs but ive thought about it for the last 6 months and i think its the right thing to do! what cdj r u thinking of getting to add to ur set up mate? :)

Get the 800s if you're thinking 400s. Not much of a price difference but than again both will do the trick. I'm trying to save for some 1210s, cause right now i have some shit Numark starter pack. At least something.

The sort of bollocks I'm reading here might make the old Dustek come back.

"I'm a hard motherfucker cos I only play vinyl" and then backpeddling plus at the same time slagging off a guy who is a vet. "Oh and only vinyl is fucking cool" but "yeah you should buy the 800s". :word:

Get the 800s if you can afford them, cool and solid. Bit too expensive but not seriously too expensive and you'll see them in clubs. The 800s and the 1000s are pretty much the standard but there is a lot of competition, its not the same as with 1210s.

Last edited:
The sort of bollocks I'm reading here might make the old Dustek come back.

"I'm a hard motherfucker cos I only play vinyl" and then backpeddling plus at the same time slagging off a guy who is a vet. "Oh and only vinyl is fucking cool" but "yeah you should buy the 800s". :word:

Get the 800s if you can afford them, cool and solid. Bit too expensive but not seriously too expensive and you'll see them in clubs. The 800s and the 1000s are pretty much the standard but there is a lot of competition, its not the same as with 1210s.

Thanks for the advice mate!!! :)

I think you should scrap that idea and get technics 1210's turntables if you wana be a real DJ

I would probably say i am a real dj, im playing at a night where goldie is headlining on the 21st march and ive had 1210's for 15 years mate its just lots of clubs are using cdj's now so i wanna learn them too! it means i can take my record collection away with me easily when i go travelling!

Pwned. haha!

^^haha yeh i got that ;)

Go for 800s for home, 400 is too small and fiddly but good if you travel loads. I have pair of 1210 mk3s and a pair of 800s and it makes me so much more versitile imo cos my collection is massive now and am competent at both. Plus i find technics in clubs can often be sketchy whereas the Cdjs being newer and digital, you know exactly what your pitchin will be like.

To say true Djs use vinyl is just bollocks, shy Fx, sigma, chase and status, break, hazard, original sin, brookes bros and so many more all use cdjs pretty standard. are they not true djs? Stfu and lets move on with this "Real Djs Use Vinyl " bullshit

It should be "real djs own and appreciate vinyl"
Why carry crates when you put over 1 tb in the space it would take to put 10 records? No sense to me. THat being said, I'm still guilty of obsession with vinyl

How much are you willing to spend? I bought a 1000mk2 on ebay for £500 in a flight case. If thats not an option then I would go for the 800mk2 if you can...

Adding to the whole vinyl / cd argument.. I still buy mainly vinyl and I also own a pair of 1210's.. The reason for getting the cd deck was for

A. Some releases come on mp3 first f.e. Papa Lover (Serum rmx) I don't think this is out on vinyl yet but I've had this for over a week now.
B. Some labels release extra tunes only on mp3. (check the nam recordings web site)
c. I play a lot of my friends productions (why pay to cut on dub plate?)

You can also save money by only buying single tracks if you only want one instead of all four out of an e.p.

The only argument I have against cd's is that the sound quality is much better on vinyl because it uses analog noise with no compression, leaving a better frequency range creating the warmer bass etc...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom