Where's the love?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by kama, May 29, 2007.

1. kama

kama benkama.net

[rant]
    Just through browsing the "new talent/track review" section and it's all just dark this heavy that hardcore and whtafuck.

Where are all the tunes that have "love" in their name (must be billions of those from 2000ish) or the tunes that are just plain laid back, easy or if you will, liquid?

If someone can even direct me towards some web producers who still do that stuff, would ease my pain considerably.
    [/rant]

:confused:

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

lots of new material from us coming up, one from me, two from phuture-t and to top it all off a new dam nation monster. all of it dark but with so much soul. new dam nation tune is best described as post-modern jungle, we have sampled the most obscure vinyl you could possibly imagine and a heap of cold sweat edits.

as for unsigned liquid, theres no shortage of that, specially on doa the way i remember it.

its always been difficult to find music with soul in it though.

3. David Bass

David Bass Neuro-Technologist

what....?

no Jenna G...

:would u like a tissue?:

4. SXL

SXL QC

I think it's easy to create dark stuff and you don't need to be some kinda professional you know..just click the buttons, choose from variety of fat drum loops, add some bassline and here you go...:rockposse dancefloor smasher! Of course it's a gross exaggeration but anyway..

5. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Unsigned teenage producers tend be frustrated and angry. Plus if try and post liquid on DOA all they'll hear is "clownstep".

6. SXL

SXL QC

That's right. They think evil stuff is very impressive. The problem is, it's the only way for them to express themselves..

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  7. safety

safety double safety

i think the problem is, as with a lot of the other sub genres of dnb, it's all starting to sound very similar. i often go in to record shops, listen to a liquid tune and think 'i've already got five tunes that sound like that'. what we need is more people like calibre who actually write music with melodies and harmonies etc, instead of writing a bassline and adding samples.

8. bloodfire

bloodfire Member

i agree whens the last time you heard a new tune with a really nice piano melody or some deep strings . yeah to many samples being used in drum n bass id like to see more real instruments being incorperated . liquid has seemed to have lost its groove

9. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

Calibre created the liquid sound IMO:shrug:

10. bloodfire

bloodfire Member

his certainly the best at that style of dnb although you cant take anything away from bukem. for me he is the pioneer of that laid back deep sound . youv only got to listen to atlantis, demons theme , and music . to name just a few his consistantly made very intelligent sounding music

11. optic

optic gotosleep

the triple vision crew and the comm suicide boys, have the dark laidback feel, say the perfect fit of the inbetween hospital and defcom:rave:

12. mesh

mesh Active Member

he's a don, but I would say Big Bud had it nailed before Calibre had a noteable release out

13. safety

safety double safety

he's definatley a pioneer, you can't say he created it though. bukem and his boys were making liquid sounds when calibre was still making liquid in his nappies. anohter outfit i properly rate at liqud is mathematics, i buy anything those boys release and i'm never dissapointed, still got some of their tunes from two, three years ago in my box.

14. kama

kama benkama.net

who cares reallywho created it, why isn't it up and runnning now? Did the makers get bored with it themselves? I agree those themes could use with some fresh new ideas but the point is, who will be the one doing those ideas?

Just listened to some Alix Perez tracks, he's definately got his own style to it. It certainly reminds me of this east european producer back in my tracker days, Juanita Juarez. Could it be him?

15. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

ok thats wicked....please could u make me a dark track?the engineerin has gotta b top notch.let me know when u are done

:teeth:

16. kama

kama benkama.net

I'd agree it's easier, not easy. I've done my share of dark, twisted, sick and hard and in those you crank things up as far as you can. When adding soul, you gotta find a balance.

shit i dont know.

17. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

liquid jus doesnt do it for me,dont get me wrong there is sum stuff i enjoy listenin to but i wouldnt dance to it.

18. safety

safety double safety

liquid isn't what dnb was created for tho'. it's come about thru amalgamations of different influences, jazz and soul etc. i like liquid, don't get me wrong, but dnb would be in a worse state if there were no new producers making heavier and heavier tracks. if it all went a bit 'bunch of flowers' you'd end up with more indie crossover remixes and artists than you could shake a limp haired, tight jeaned guitar player at ("all this feels strange and untrue" damn right it does snow patrol, stick to making shit music for the kids)

19. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

I am sorry mate...that is a load of old bollocks... (with all due respect!)

DnB….what was it made for exactly?

here is my unconnected pro Liquid rant:

I reallly hate the way people always insist on dividng dnb up into sub genres…

'Liquid drum n bass is a strong sub genre of dnb (why we need sub genres!!!!??)…Yeah it might not have big build ups and tearing drops but its music you have to listen to! I love it, I also love the hard stuff too y'know. But you cant dissmiss it like that, to be honest that comment is just ignorant (again with respect!).

IMO I class Circles as a liquid tune and also one little small tune called 'Inner City Life' ….. to me that is 'liquid'. Ie. A smooth soulful, lighter dnb tune.

You ever been to see Bukem??? What about all the great stuff V have put out over the years???? ….

I have been to a lot of liquid nights and to be honest I enjoy them more as it is more musical and 'vibey'. I get kind of bored of listening to the same Pendulum influenced stuff. I do like it but IMO that harder dancefloor sound has become formiliac and liquid to me is more creative.

To put it simply the reason why I love liquid dnb is because when I listen to it I don’t just get a buzz out of the energy of the tune but also out of the musicla elemenst and depth to it. Im not saying everyone listens to dnb for the energy but a lot of people who slag off liquid don’t actually bother to put the effort in and just think about it in terms of the context of a rave.

I suggest checking out producers like Autumn for a good example.

And liquid can be as 'heavy' as harder stuff. I know that might sound strange but when you hear a heavy tune like 'drop it down' by Calibre in a good club the floor shakes!

Sorry about this rant

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  20. safety

safety double safety

i don't think you can say liquid is more creative, it entirely depends on the producer and the amount effort put into a track. i'm not trying to slag off liquid, like i said i do like it, my point is dnb grew out of jungle, all this was before sub genres, when drum and bass was just drum and bass, a high energy big impact form of music but producers wanted to take it different places which is why the sub genre culture has become such a factor in the scene. i was in no way dismissing liquid, it's the sheer divirsity of this music that makes it so accessible to such a wide range of people