where's the best place to find stock images for compositions?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Indi, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

Where's the best place to find stock images for compositions? Also where's a good place to find out about computer art + graphic design?
    I've been designing for a bit now, but its all been websites and stuff and working in co-op with fireworks and dreamweaver. I'm fairly competent with photoshop and technical stuff but want to improve my aesthetic skills and techniques. Want to start learning about computer art + graphic design fully but don't know where to start?

2. jay walker

jay walker 1/2 of Passive/Aggressive

At work we use www.istockphoto.com (you have to buy credits, but they are pretty cheap) they sell photographers / illustrators / animators work, for commercial use.

I tend to just use google images search, define the search as large images, then use public images to use as raw images to take into photoshop, or re-draw in illustrator.

Im pretty much self taught in Photoshop / Illustrator / Quark, I would always set myself tasks like flyer design or advert for a product, then play about with effects / layout / typestyle. Dunno if that helps, Indi my good mangle :shrug:

3. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I was doing a placement at a well known free music magazine and they would rip off any image from online or any other mag, flip it / pixelise / distort in some way and not give a fook, and had been so doing for yrs.

There are some v.good books on 20th Century graphic design, and the evolution of certain styles, if you wanna learn more about it from that direction...

4. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

yep.. i rip stuff off all the time at work.. ahah.. its not good though...

istock is th best