WHERES THE 96khz 24 Bit music then ??!!!

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Radius, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

Loads of soundcards can do this standard, yet you can't get many CD whcih can ( I think there are some called Super CD but hasn't taken off)
    It would be great to hear more stuff in this format...bet teh bass and beats sound even fatter !!!!

2. deadaelus

deadaelus Laughter in the Slaughter

i hear ya...

My DvD player has a 5.1 analog out instead of the standard stereo rca plugs. I havent heard any CDs in this format, but i have a few DvD videos that play in the 5.1 analog out. Hopefully this catches on cause it gives some interesting options in a studio mix down that were previously unavailible in a 2 channel stereo mix down.

3. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

the CD audio standard is 16bit, 44.1Khz, stereo - manufacturers can't just chop & change that - it's a fixed format.

DVD audio has been around for a while, which i *think* is 48Khz, 24bit - but you're right, it hasn't taken off (and isn't likely to very soon!). Perhaps once HDTV and HD-DVD are established, people will look towards audio! :D

BTW don't forget LTJ Bukems 'Earth' series, which comes with a standard CD and also a 5.1 DVD for playing in DVD players & PC's... there's also an interview in Earth07 with LTJ on what he thinks about high def audio & 5.1, i'll see if i can upload it to youtube some time ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  4. sparkyc10

sparkyc10 Kentish Junglist

I think you're right about DVD audio being 48Khz, 24bit. Doesn't look like it'll take off though. There's a chance it will be Super Audio CD looks more likely to be the industry standard in the future at the moment

5. sook

sook Member

SACD has been around for quite sometime
    dont think i will ever really take off though...
    As the players are still quite expensive...
    it will more likely be a new format in the future..
    SACD doesnt even use sampling rates though...
    it use a totally different system...
    as far as sound quality goes an equivalent sampling
    rate would be like 1.92 million samples per sec..
    not enough ppl really care about that sort of sound
    quality though... thats why its generally only
    classical music that is released on SACD....
    with the occasional big pop artist release...
    sad really...
    surround mixes are a great concept...
    though not really for full spectrum dance music
    like DNB....
    would be to many phase issues.....
    unless you had a your speakers placed correctly
    which most ppl dont even care about....

SACD rules...
    DVD audio aint to shabby to....

6. xen

xen ...innit

with HD audio, you have the two competing (proprietary) standards, DVD Audio (which is a subspec of the DVD format) and SACD, which requires a separate player due to the way SACD discs are manufactured (different laser wavelength, different track depth, pit distance, plus it's a different encoding format - I think it's DTS - etc).

Might as well just quote Wikipedia here:

DVD-Audio can go higher - up to 192KHz! in two channel setup, or 96kHz per channel in quad or 5 speaker config at either 16, 20 or 24 bits, and it's encoded with LPCM (either uncompressed or compressed with Meridian Lossless Packing to ensure that you get a faithful 1:1 reproduction of the audio). However, due to the additional hardware requirements needed to decode these high-bitrate LPCM streams (the audio streams alone can theoretically go up to 9.6mbps, compared to the total bitrate of a regular DVD including video, audio and subtitles of 10.08mbps) DVD-Audio compatible players need to be beefier - so more expensive - than your regular Aldi cheapo players.

I've had a chance to hear some SACD discs on a good 5.1 setup... including Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon full 5.1 remaster, oh my god that sounds so good. It's just something which is gonna stay in the realm of audio enthusiast only, it won't take off now into the mainstream like the record labels hoped, as you just need to spend way too much cash for your average punter to get a good enough system to appreciate the extra quality. Regular 5.1 Dolby AC3 is good enough for your average punter (and I watch DVDs and films downmixed to 2-channel, usually on headphones!!! even though I have a (shit) 5.1 system). I'd rather have a NICE pair of studio monitors to pump everything through rather than a nice 5.1 system, but one which just isn't good enough for making sweet sweet music on.

7. xen

xen ...innit

Just to add one small thing, the best beats and bass are the ones sampled at 8 bits ;) 96khz audio is just too clinical for dnb, you need to get GRIMY and start fuzzin up that sound for the crunch :D

8. sook

sook Member

that remaster sounds amazing....
    one of the most brilliantly concieved
    and produced albums of all time got
    even better....

9. xen

xen ...innit

While we're talking about high-def audio, I just found my ELP Corporation Laser Turntable demonstration CD (20-bit super bit mapped unprocessed samples comparing the laser turntable's performance under a variety of conditions to a traditional deck) - it's astounding what it can do! It can even read vinyls which are physically in several pieces (!)... It REALLY makes me want one :( Problem is they're about $14,000 for the base model (which includes the $500 vinyl cleaner you REALLY do need to clean each vinyl before playing back), so I'm still gonna be saving for one in a decade's time.

10. Radius

I also understand that Windows bounces your sound down to 44.1 to make it easier for it to process..if so What is teh POint...Bill Gates is a KIDDY PIMP !! (Regrdless of whether I am worng about thr rest)

11. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

That's why you need a card with ASIO drivers :who_wants

12. xen

xen ...innit

SB Audigy 2 + free kX Project drivers for 2ms ASIO latency = win :gun:

13. Radius

Ah OK so no worries there Moto 828II with ASIO =up ur arse Bill Gates !!!:drunk:

14. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

I don't think we need 96khz 24 bit music for dnb because it would just show the production flaws.

A symphony production is more suited because of the mass of instruments and quality artists - a Stradivarius & a violonist will still sound better than the best Sony plug in.

15. deadaelus

deadaelus Laughter in the Slaughter

I really want a MOTU traveller. They look really sweet.

16. [sbk]M

[sbk]M ??X??

Would be nice!

People think 128k mp3 sounds great,so why would they be interested in higher quality non compressed audio formats -> Why invest in selling it to people who arent that interested?

17. Dj_Fozzybear

Dj_Fozzybear Greenpiece Records

As far as i am aware most club systems run in mono( :shrug: ? ) anyways it doesn't really matter unless you want a classical tune to swirl around you head.
    In fact i would love to hear what a 5.1 mixdown sounds like coming out of a big system, would be a bit mad.
    :bounce:

18. Radius

Fozzy ur sucking on teh right tit there mate...If you wanna d/l mp3 taht is alll good , but if you're a producer you want to master in the HIGHEST POSSIBLE QUALITY...and that is why I started this fred...yuh dig!!!:shittin:

19. xen

xen ...innit

5.1 on a properly-setup 5.1 PA sounds fucking PHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I had the chance to listen to a quadrophonic system once, problem with those is you have to stand right in the middle to get the best sound otherwise it always sounds weird (echoes from the other speakers can cause wave cancellation, phase variation, all sorts of weird wishy washy effects) but it was years ahead of its time. The Who recorded the soundtrack for Tommy in a specially-developed six-channel setup, with striped (!) discrete channels on magnetic tape... That was fucking impressive, you shoulda seen the size of the decoder needed to playback the audio track in the cinema :D Audiences in the cinemas equipped with the six channel soundsystem though were apparently blown away by the sound quality, and the new dolby 5.1 mixdown which comes on the DVD is proof enough that even on a small, home setup it sounds ridiculously good...

Music can sound awesome in multi-speaker, get to a Richer Sounds and see if they have a SACD copy of Dark Side Of The Moon, and get them to play the track Money on a good setup ;) The nearest I've come to a PA setup was at Glastonbury one year when there was an experimental multispeaker setup in the Glade for Nodens Ictus, I was fairly stoned all weekend but from what I remember it was small but still very impressive :D