where to post your music and how to rack up hits??

Discussion in 'Production' started by alcaponeuk, Sep 15, 2013.

1. alcaponeuk

alcaponeuk Member

basiclly ive hit a brickwall in how to promo my music - my soundcloud stats are persistently hovering around the 500 mark, i comment and follow people all the time , i promote endlessly on my twitter where i have over 1800 followers, but there pretty stagnent too, i post all my stuff here and i like to think im active here too, i send my tracks out to plenty of labels regularly , share my stuff all over my facebook and even post on stuff like 4chan - ive just started a youtube account again and posted my latest video, so im gonna have to try rack up subscribers too - but amongst all of this i only ever hover around 200 plays on my tunes, and very few comments. im wondering if theres something obvious that i am missing, a place to post my links where they will get mass traffic quickly? if anyones got any cool places where they like to put there stuff, or any techniques to build up a following then let me know. im also at a dead end with performing too because i dont know any clubs anywhere that would allow me to do a dnb night as its a very dead genre at the moment with all this deep house malark (UK speaking). love to hear everyones input

2. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

What I've noticed is that people will comment and listen to tracks more if they're signed, so have you tried finding a label or a youtube channel to promote your stuff?

3. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

You need to make like 2/3 comments a day on Soundcloud to fix that mate I don't think you've made the efforts you think you have..

Dark Lizardro likes this.
  4. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Buy some followers like lifted music does

5. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Honestly though, people begging for listens in comments are super annoying.

spyre likes this.
  6. LVB

LVB Active Member

He means critisising other people's tracks, commenting on other people so some will take the time to check him out

ThePapa and MisterApe like this.
  7. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Well that makes way more sense :D, I approve of that.

8. Tomekn

Tomekn Member

As LVB said, interact with people etc. On another note, I hate to be THAT guy but what are you trying to achieve by racking up hits on soundcloud? It's more important for the right people to hear your tunes, the numbers don't necessarily matter.

9. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

It's all about luck mate. Get the right channel, blogger, support from someone with a following who endorses your music and you will see your stats go up....Still feel like the activity on our stuff is very minimal, compared to others who have been doing it for the same amount of time as us.
    Get support from Dj's radio play etc just get your tunes out to people so they talk about ya?
    We've really contemplated buying likes n shit, but I'm still very against it! Just gotta use momentum once you start geting attention, be consistent etc

I hear Youtube is were its at tho!

10. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Also dont bother posting your tracks to groups in SC, I have never gotten a play on a track shared on any group. Or maybe I shared them to dead groups I dunno? o_O

11. alcaponeuk

alcaponeuk Member

i hear everyone, i definitely think youtube is the way to go and i feel like such a twat , i heard that the more subscribers u have, the higher your vids are on the list, regardless of how relative they are (for example i typed in al capone dnb remix and none of my videos were on any of the 5 pages lol) , and back in like 05 i had a youtube account with millions of hits on call of duty vids, and loads of subscribers, so i could of rid of that but like an idiot i deleted it a couple years ago - and yeah i guess the hits just comfort me with the idea that people are at least listening to my tunes, im really not that fussed about labels as im not in it for the money, id love to just play my tunes out to peeps for free etc. i have a tune called burning bridges on a label called dla black but there a tonne of shit, they sign about 5000 tunes a day and promote them for about an hour, then buy fake hits on youtube, and never pay out any royalties (unless theres over £10's worth), so even if they only make a pound off each tune, they sign so fucking many there still making money, useless for the artists.

- - - Updated - - -

and yeh dex, well what i have definitely found is that the remixes bring in farrrrr more traffic than anything else. if u hit the stats on my berzerk and rudimental remixes they outweigh anything else on my page, i think im gonna follow this route for a while, remix massive new tunes and beat everyone else to the punch

12. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn New Member

tbh fella.. nobody i know would ever drop an eminem remix in a club... nor tell there pals about one they heard... what exactly is your target audience? identify them... then you can advertise with them in mind. i know if i dont get plays, its because people arnt talking about my stuff, wich means they dont like it...so make something your listeners like or find people that like what your making.

EDIT, finding private/personal email addresses of artists and plain emailing them a copy helps.. hype will play anything he likes on kiss.. thats a big step.. get people to play it who have listeners.... or ask bigger groups to repost your sounds.. just send it to everyone/go on a mission.. if its not getting plays after all the hard work its telling you something.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  13. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

I agree with Papa on this one: the more you comment on other people's songs, the more you are exposing your song too. I like to go to the stream section of sc and comment on tracks that appear there (so I'm commenting on music from people I follow), and, also, I like to search for specific terms. Last time I did this, I searched for "neurofunk", and started listening, liking and commenting on random tracks. Magically my plays started rising (also the comments and likes).

So, basically, you just need to network, man.

14. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Who honestly gives a flying fook about it all? I make music for me, if others like it along the way then great! I spent way too long worrying about listeners and followers, what they like and don't like, trying to change my style to suit what it is I thought people wanted. It's bullshit! Stay true to yourself, make what you want to make and fuck everyone else, if they love it, great, if they don't, so what? Unfortunately, listeners and followers on the internet wont get you anywhere, if you want to start getting noticed, you either have to become a DJ and start playing out lots, or alternatively, get some solid contacts that will play your stuff out on radio, at gigs, or promote you through other various networks.

15. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

what he said pretty much. soundcloud comments and likes mean nothing. if your music appeals to the right person, they will sign it. then the soundcloud followers and comments will fly in!

16. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

Two things... one is how good your music is, the other is luck.

17. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. If you genuinely want a "hit" as in LOTS of people are bumpin' that shit non-stop, A. it's gotta be a solid tune from the get-go B. you're probably gonna have to fork out some phat stacks on promotion.

18. Cold Quake

Cold Quake Member

Don't forget sending it to all your friends on facebook, you can never know if any of em started listening to dnb. :p
    You can go register on every edm forum out there, just put your demos in the sig and make as many useful comments as you can! :D

19. d4davemoss

d4davemoss New Member

Agree with this, just make music that you enjoy and that you would want to listen to. At least that way it keeps the enjoyment of making a tune there and every tune you make you're enhancing your production skills/workflow/knowledge etc which can only be a good thing. If you wouldn't go out listening to dnb remixes of popular tunes i cant imagine you'd get that much enjoyment from making one. Keep it fun, stick at it and hopefully people will feel your tunes and get you noticed!