Where i can buy acoustic drumkit used in song "Amen, Brother"

I want to make my own breaks also.
They made their own snare drum himself?
Different snare drums sounds differently, but i want to buy snare drum which sound is closest to Amen break used snare.

Last edited:
I suggest going to a good music shop with an excellent copy of the break, I don't think anybody hear will actually know what brand/type of acoustic instrument you need.

one thing to remember ere is that the sound of the amen break doesnt come purely by the kit Gregory played on, but from the microphones used, the position of the mics, the room that it was recorded in, the pre amps on the desk they used for the tracking, the processing that was involved during and after the recording, the factors are practically endless..
it is near impossible to get the exact sound of another recording without knowing all the details i mention above, and then you'd still struggle to make a perfect copy.
im finding it hard to understand your reasons for wanting to recreate that drum sound from scratch. Theres hundreds of very good quality samples of the amen floating around the net for free. If you want to buy it legally, theres a very good amen on the first cd of Zero-G's "Total Drum and Bass" samples collection, andlet Zero G worry about copyrights and stuff.

Where i can read about snare drum types?
I dont want recreate and use Amen break but i want create my on breaks and use these.;)

Are you a professional drummer? I'm guessing not.

Why bother drumming beats when you can program them for the same or better results? Buy a music program, load up drum kit samples and create your own. You program all the elements of the drum kit - quick and easy. Thats how drum & bass is made nowadays.

Safe, to get that type of snare sound you wanna go on ebay and look for some vintage snare drums bro, ones that were made good and from better materials. but it might cost abit but mate they sound KILLER! some 70's snares have such a warm sound from the maple they used. and over the years they just sound better and better, sadly unless you spend a fair bit its gonna be hard. todays drums are mass produced and sound nothing like ithe old school stuff.

and maybe a cheaper idea is some top studios or most have these classic snares and they let the session drummers use them so you could always go down that route

big ups all drummers in here

if your feeling creative bro why not look for shit around your home? pans and pots make some sweet sounds especially if you bang some distortion on them and layer them up, dillinja uses house hold items for some of his drums, i'd love to have a go - just need a good mic!

maybe one day when i've got a cosy little studio set up :)

Buy a shallow piccalo snare, they sound awesome. really snappy with a fair bit of punch too. my mate had one when we were in a band together.

if your feeling creative bro why not look for shit around your home? pans and pots make some sweet sounds especially if you bang some distortion on them and layer them up, dillinja uses house hold items for some of his drums, i'd love to have a go - just need a good mic!

maybe one day when i've got a cosy little studio set up :)

Thats im gonna do.

Photek - The Fifth Column: surely pots and pans used there :razz:
Aphex Twin sounds like falling shotshell :lol:

Im also a drummer and have never played on a kit that sounds anywhere close to the Amen, as far as i can tell the sound is more to do with the recording/ Proccessing involved.
Would it be a solution to buy an electric drumkit and drop the audio slices from the original Amen break onto the pads? im not sure if this is possible but i imagine they work much like a sampler. you would have issues with tempo though and also a kick is already layered with a ride or a splash so if you played it normally you would double up on some hits?

Anyone know if its possible to replacate an Amen kit on an electric drum kit? if so i will start saving!

Back
Top Bottom