Where does everyone grab their digital from?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by dizzledee, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dizzledee

dizzledee equinox

I was wondering how you chaps get your digi-fix.

I've just started buying digital and have found itunes a simplistic and cost effective way of shopping.

One thing I have not factored in however is what percentage artists actually get from sales, I want to support my scene as much as possible and I suspect Apple manage to squeeze a fair amount of the transaction.

:/

2. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

I think surus give the most to the labels, I'd buy vinyl from there but they won't ship anything more than 2kgs to Dubai, I get all my digital stuff from Beatport, its the only site im aware of that tags all mp3s with key and stuff (worth the extra bit of money imo).

3. garffi3

garffi3 Member

4. Sneaks

Sneaks Member

Must cost you a shitload to get vinyl imported!

As for digital purchases, I try and get stuff from http://www.digital-tunes.net/ if I can. Pretty cheap and lossless formats don't cost any extra. Don't always have everything I want though.

I've never even given a thought to how much artists/labels are getting from different sites, would be quite interested to see how they compare.

5. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

^^ what he said.

6. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

It costs less to get stuff sent to me from Chemical Records (Bristol) than it'll cost for you to get it posted to Manchester, the shipping is cheaper than the VAT which I don't have to pay :)
    It's gone up to 20% now as well I think

7. Attire

Attire Last Winter

itunes - easy to browse and cheap but you get 256kbps aac, not what everyone wants.
    7 Digital - cheap and easy, though finding some releases can be a massive bitch with their shoddy search system.
    juno - expect to pay more per track but the site and service are great.
    dnba - crap site with a rubbish search but they have pretty cheap prices. I've run into site errors that screw my payment more than once though so..
    surus - great if the release you are looking for is on one of their labels. Fairly cheap and as they are the label's official stores, they will be getting more of the money. Worth it imo.
    amazon - very cheap but they screw you with vbr encodings which are mostly below 300kbps. Again, if you don't care about that then it might be good for you.
    beatport - expensive but I think the labels will get the most from them (those that aren't on surus), which might be why we see a lot of exclusives. Personally I never bother, I'd rather wait than pay £1.70 for one track :p
    trackitdown - cheaper than beatport but still expensive.

Also don't forget to check the label's own online store. They sell mp3s of their tracks for a reasonable price most of the time.

I haven't tried digital-tunes because I've either not been able to find what I want, or I've found it cheaper.

Dagz likes this.
  8. encounter

encounter Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for a review that states that 256kbps MPEG4 isn't as good as a 320kbps MPEG3 but you are right people are afraid by the 62kbps they lose. I myself bought Strays remix of Peril, it was an iTunes exclusive and I played it at home on my HD25, on my PA and live at a 1000 people cap venue and it sounded absolutely fine.

The bigger the label the more income comes from iTunes but in general you are right it's probably beatport.

9. Commander

Commander Well-Known Member

I use 7digital & dnba. Have used beatport when they have a promotion due to having tunes not available elsewhere. Would never use trackitdown due to their prices and general customer service. I it's on surus then I would use them everytime

10. flobbydobby

flobbydobby bangin garden of dobbylon

eh? Never seen an mp3 more expensive than £1.30 on beatport and most are £1.12

edit - just looking now there are a few for 1.73 coming up.. maybe depends what you're into? Ones I want are never that much lol

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  11. della111

della111 Active Member

Mainly buy from Surus. Beatport if not, i know its a bit more expensive but IMO the easiest site to use.

12. dizzledee

dizzledee equinox

Dam you and your signature Della.. every time you post I find myself locked into it.. its the eyes, its the fucking eyes!

13. OneSeventy

OneSeventy Mohican Sun

They may be a tiny bit more expensive than say DnBA or 7 Digital, but hardly. In my opinion the difference is negligible. They're still very cheap and worth it for the ease of use and customer service.

14. Attire

Attire Last Winter

Most of the exclusives I see on there are at around £1.73.
    The others are yeah around £1.30 or so.

Yeah its 40p more if you buy a single track. Not sure about albums/singles. They do have a brilliant site though yes.

15. OneSeventy

OneSeventy Mohican Sun

Ah I rarely buy single tracks so that could be it. They are always not much if anything more if you buy an album, EP or single.

16. Clockwise

Clockwise New Member

Beatport & occasionally Amazon cause they are really cheap.

17. iamdjsimm

iamdjsimm Well-Known Member

Nobody mentioned www.boomkat.com - that's my go to site.

2 track release £1.70
    3 track release £1.95

Albums are £6.99

Quality site!

18. Zajko

Zajko New Member

digital-tunes.net mostly - for prices (if buying lossless or wav), selection, browsing. Only bought one bad file over the years and they ignored my complaint, but I keep coming back out of convenience (if it happens again I swear...)

juno when I'm buying both vinyl and digi

19. Dektekdee

Dektekdee Member

20. TerrA_

TerrA_ Active Member

Amazon & 7digital ; if I can't find the track I buy from juno or digital-tunes, not from beatport anymore way too expensive.