where do you find your keys?

BIG C

im new to this 'key mixing'...
ive been using vdj to find the key of tunes..
untill i was browsing chemical records also tell which key tunes are in..
however they conflict with the ones i was gettin from vdj..
so im very confused as to wich one to use??

could anyone shed some light...???

thanks in advance ;)

key mixing is a great idea in theory and it has its benefits.
however like u have discovered its not always accurate.

there is a program u can buy to do it for u. im assuming u get the same conflicting results from it tho.

basically if u want to pull of the same mixes as everyone else, use mixed in key type stuff.
if u want to stand out and be original then dont pay any attention to the key its in and if it sounds good... do it. all about practice.
people have been putting together wicked mixes long before sync buttons and mixed in key and you can too.

just my opinion tho. i know a lot of people who sware by it and get good results.
however i personaly wouldnt recomend it.

where do you find your keys?

I mean from time to time it can vary, sometimes they wind up in my coat pockets which sadly has about 15 pockets varying in shape and size, which all in all can lead to panic stations.

Most common places would be shoes, and down the side of my bed, fuck i've even had them in my hands before & haven't realised. fuck. But do not despair, I haven't found your keys if you have been looking for them.

good luck in your quest.

i agree with what teddybizzle says. id say a lot of the time a mix sounds good because its in key. a lot of techy tunes almost dont even have a key so it doesnt even matter. however, ive heard some mixes with liquid where the key clashes are awful. can really spoil a mix if its a bad clash.

i hear what your saying mate..
been mixing for some years now on vinyl recently switching to cd's..
i come across this key mixing and thought i'd give it a go, to some good results..
its starting to become a pain in the arse now because im too worried about the key rather then the actual tune itself..
think it maybe something ill have to stop..

thanks for your help bro ;)

Your keys are in your ears! Like Teddy said people have been mixing in key for years before all these program's.

Just get to know your tunes inside out. Practice makes perfect.

I mentioned this in another thread but when I remembered it again I couldn't find the thread. Found a bit of software that's a slimmed down and sometimes buggy version of mixed in key...but its free :D its called rapidshare evolution. Can be handy for key detection if you need :thumbup:

Quite literally, if a mix sounds good, its highly likely its in key. You dont need software.

Mixing in key is good in theory but a whole set full of 4a's sounds flat and boring as hell.

It results in smooth mixes, yes. But it sacrifices the integrity of the mix if theres too many in there.

By all means work your way through keys but a whole mix in the same key generally isnt that good (as i was told on my "in key mix" =P). It just lacks life if that makes sense.

I went through a phase of paying attention to keys because i was given quite a few tunes that had been run through mixed in key. It helped my confidence on drawing for tunes randomly because it was highly likely whatever i picked would work if they were the same key... But after a while it sucks the fun out of mixing.

Also... vdj? Really?

Mixed in Key is all you need.

And imo every extra tool that you can use to make better blends then all good. Ive found soooo many mixes that I never would have considered if I hadn't key'd up my library! But it can be a hindrance if you let it take over your creative side

cant really add to what people have said but this pretty much sums it up:

knowing the keys of tunes can help find hidden gems of mixes, or even just to find a tune to mix in if you're literally standing there clueless. On the other hand, I know when i first started i definitely looked at keys way too much when mixing and it limited the mixes that i might've drawn for, but at the same time im fairly sure its increased my likeliness of picking tunes that wont clash horribly out of key nowadays.

its obvious really, its a useful tool but by no means gospel, especially with some of the techier/minimal dnb without much pad/chord work

cant really add to what people have said but this pretty much sums it up:

knowing the keys of tunes can help find hidden gems of mixes, or even just to find a tune to mix in if you're literally standing there clueless. On the other hand, I know when i first started i definitely looked at keys way too much when mixing and it limited the mixes that i might've drawn for, but at the same time im fairly sure its increased my likeliness of picking tunes that wont clash horribly out of key nowadays.

its obvious really, its a useful tool but by no means gospel, especially with some of the techier/minimal dnb without much pad/chord work

I agree.

When my mate gave me a bunch of tunes of his (that i'd never heard before) that he'd run through M.I.K it was so much fun just randomly drawing for tunes in the same key, increased my confidence of random selection so much. It also taught me a lot about doing it by ear when i had examples of tunes that were in key. It meant i knew what to look for in a mix if that makes sense.

Can be really fun just firing up the decks and going in with no plan of what to play, just hop between keys like goin
4b, 4a, 11a etc. (Mate taught me about jumping up 7 etc).

Last edited:
I don't get this whole 4b/4a key thingie. Anyone care to explain?
I'm a guitar player so i know the "normal" scales and keys. F-minor, D-Major,...
What's the connection between these two?

I don't get this whole 4b/4a key thingie. Anyone care to explain?
I'm a guitar player so i know the "normal" scales and keys. F-minor, D-Major,...
What's the connection between these two?

I dont get whats not to get? :/

But heres a colourful chart that should explain things for ya ;D

camelotHarmonicMixing.jpg

General rule, mix keys that are opposite each other on the wheel, or next to each other.

Seems like cheating to me. If you cant hear and understand what sounds good then don't be doing it. It's just outsourcing the effort of selection for a safer situation thats mostly determined by a computer. Might as well just press play, let the synced tracks automatically roll from keyed up tune to keyed up tune, why bother having someone there being creative not following formula??

Last edited:
Seems like cheating to me. If you cant hear and understand what sounds good then don't be doing it. It's just outsourcing the effort of selection for a safer situation thats mostly determined by a computer. Might as well just press play, let the synced tracks automatically roll from keyed up tune to keyed up tune, why bother having someone there being creative not following formula??

i don't hink the question is about cheating or not cheating - for me there is no such thing as cheating in dj-ng.

...but aren't we all digging the fantasy of being star dj-s who make perfect mixes? having your tunes all in key sounds better and if you also have them synced perfectly too + add decent trackselection....well then you've got a pretty good mix. and the best part is, that you don't need any skills at all - just a basic knowledge of couple of buttons n faders on the mixer and bars. i bet i could teach a random bloke off the street to dj with a computer in an hour.

some people couldn't do such mixes without this help - it's difficult... you have to know your tunes and you've got to have trained ears and blablablah. but with software you can dig the fantasy. everyone's telling how good your mixes are and say nice things. can't dissapoint them right?

Nuh.

To do something creative and do it well you need to learn the established techniques and then develop your own style from those techniques.
Everything you just said negates all that.

It's all very
Southpark+_519852e8_02c9_8d6a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom