When you listen to established artists music is there stuff you would change?

parsons19

VIP Junglist
Hey guys,

When you put a tune or release on from someone on a major label do you listen and think about stuff you would change?

I do this sometimes!

I guess what I am trying to get at it here is it possible to make a solid track that people will love but it isn't perfect in every way?

Hope that makes sense, it could make for an interesting topic!

Jordan

yeah, and i'm overly critical sometimes. if a sound comes in at the 2 min mark that i don't like, i might be like "ok, i don't like this tune anymore" even if it was sick up until then.

my official stance on this is that music is entirely subjective, and you can NEVER write a tune that will please everyone who hears it. so write what you want!

Yeah quite alot! I notice myself sitting there thingking "How did they get away with using a snare like that? If I were to use it, it'd sound shit and people would rip me!"

Sometimes but not that often, normally think that synths could have been tweaked a little to make them hit that sweet spot...if you know what I mean.

If something annoys me on someone elses tune its usually the drums

when I turn on a drum and bass radio channel I hear so much crap.
there are so many tracks that are signed and released while they really really suck.

But offcourse there are many heroes too. music I wouldn't dare to suggest changes.
I'm talking about Neonlight, BSE, State of mind, Dose, Jade.. actually all SOM music, EatBrain and neurofunk grid artists.

yes sometimes, like i might not like the bass sound, or the snare. if the tunes banging otherwise you just gotta live with it, otherwise itll drive you crazy

all the time, one of the reasons i kinda got into making beats. But at the same time you gotta respect thats what the producer has chosen and thats how he wants it to sound

what shits me more is a bad vinyl pressing on shitty cheap bendy vinyl thats quiet...

all the time, one of the reasons i kinda got into making beats. But at the same time you gotta respect thats what the producer has chosen and thats how he wants it to sound

Word. When a producer gets signed and worshiped among the crowd he wouldn't release a track with something that bugged him, Its all personal taste.

I find often times I would make modifications to the arrangement. Or if I'm listening to several tunes by the same artist, I'll notice that they're all almost structurally identical and/or in the same key 90% of the time.

i wish i could 'VIP' most the tunes i listen to..... and that not just drum n bass.. pretty much everything...

I find often times I would make modifications to the arrangement. Or if I'm listening to several tunes by the same artist, I'll notice that they're all almost structurally identical and/or in the same key 90% of the time.

Ha, true, the recent phace/misanthrop tunes are mostly all the same key, still sick tho

I don't like it when I hear copy pasting on the second drop just seems lazy, its probably why I sometimes struggle finishing a whole tune. As i don't want to cop out like others.

Oh and practically every jump up tune I've ever heard can be improved :crazy:

Good to see I'm not the only one then!

I have been hearing some tunes recently, Dubsteppy ones in particular, where the kick drum just sounds pretty shitty to me. Like someone is kicking against cardboard or some shit!? :lol:

Yeah the majority of tunes tbh.

It seems like most tracks are 4 bars looped over with subtle changes

I don't like it when I hear copy pasting on the second drop just seems lazy, its probably why I sometimes struggle finishing a whole tune. As i don't want to cop out like others.

Oh and practically every jump up tune I've ever heard can be improved :crazy:

its dance music ffs, get over it..

you wont come far with that kinda attitude tbh. not really a sign of a bad quality tune if the second drop is samey to the first. after all, thats the fucking chorus. you dont expect the beatles to change up the refrain of let it be just to change up and not be so samey.

too much beard stroking, too less actually trying to do music thats listenable.

---------- Post added at 11:25 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

and btw, why not just do a tune which is kinda similar with all the things in it that you wouldve done different... ?

after all thats how musics made, books written and paintings done. inspiration and the will to do something better.

its nice to have a different second drop, but also annoyin to mix as a dj sometimes.... works both ways, imo makes dj friendly tunes or make songs, up to you!

Nice topic man, good to new and different questions being asked.

Yeah, I always think there little bits of tunes I would have in there or think its missing something. But I guess as someone has previously stated you can't please everyone. What I would remove someone would want to keep or add and what I would want to add some people would probably want to remove.

Back
Top Bottom