when recording a mix...

danwell

BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT
VIP Junglist
how long generally does it take you to execute, from planning to upload?

for me it will take me 2 days or so to get a track list together, depending on the length of the mix. then i will record it and however it comes out i will upload, unless I'm having a real off day then i will leave it.

so yea what is your procedure, how do you do it? just interested to see different perspectives :carlton:

I used to just press record and wing it but now it takes me maybe 2 or 3, maybe 4 sessions of mixing to get one done. 1 or 2 to get the track list and once that's done I record it and upload it unless it's absolutely riddled with mistakes. Sometimes it'll take me 2 go's at recording. In terms of overall time, it could be that I get it done in a day or could be that it takes a week or maybe even 2 (although I start to lose interest if it takes too long).

Varies depending on various factors but basically putting a tracklist together takes me from 2 or 3 days up to 5 months (that's the case of my latest mix and I'll share it with you soon!), I'm always trying to record it in one session (may have 2 or 3 goes at it, but prefer to do it on the first go and when there's no major slip ups I'll upload it) as I don't really like coming back to something for days/weeks. After all I'm always feeling I could have done it better and when I try, I find another things to improve again and so on.

When doing a vinyl mix i just go through the tunes, pick about 20 and then press record and go in! No planning and usually turns out just fine. Just done a new dark classics vinyl mix which i will post soon.

The levels i keep just below the red on all the equipment, cd recorder, levels and master. There you go!

i spend a while thinking about the tracklist but once ive got that its one (sometimes a second) take and i upload it. havent recorded a mix for about 5/6 months now need to get on one.

mixes tend to take a while to put together, i'll just mix and find mixes that work, il add them to a list and slowly build up a full tl. depends on my mood and stuff really.

recording the mix i'll just do one take unless something goes catastrophically wrong

When i was doing the sierra network and autonomic ones it usually took bloody ages seen as they were multi-genre, and im a real perfectionist, literally had tracklists on the go for weeks while i'd play around, add and swap tunes.
Sometimes I just get an idea for one and can put together a tracklist in a few days, like the one in my sig. I very rarely record an off the cuff mix tbh unless i got a fair few dubs to play with.

I take a couple of days for the track list. Record it straight off listen back to it change the order of some of the tunes and then record it again for real. Pretty much the same for every mix I do. Occasionally I'll add a couple of off the cuff ones at the end if it's a bit short.

I take a couple of days for the track list. Record it straight off listen back to it change the order of some of the tunes and then record it again for real. Pretty much the same for every mix I do. Occasionally I'll add a couple of off the cuff ones at the end if it's a bit short.

that monkey mix (forgot the actual name but its got that traits break remix in) that you did was fuckin dope man

When i was doing the sierra network and autonomic ones it usually took bloody ages seen as they were multi-genre, and im a real perfectionist, literally had tracklists on the go for weeks while i'd play around, add and swap tunes.
Sometimes I just get an idea for one and can put together a tracklist in a few days, like the one in my sig. I very rarely record an off the cuff mix tbh unless i got a fair few dubs to play with.

how'd you get that sexy lookin player colour in your sig man?

yeah i become a bit of a perfectionist too. i build a tracklist and then i end up changing it all again so does sometimes take a while

Cheers Rusket Monkey Fist Pt2, glad you liked it. I've got a new one in members mixes if you want more.

And lol turqoise isn't for 'playaz' Vanden it's the colour retired people paint their bathrooms. IMO Sicx must have been hitting the laudanum hard when he chose it.

Last edited:
i spend a while thinking about the tracklist

mixes tend to take a while to put together, i'll just mix and find mixes that work, il add them to a list and slowly build up a full tl. depends on my mood and stuff really.

im a real perfectionist, literally had tracklists on the go for weeks while i'd play around, add and swap tunes.

^^^ can relate to all these comment.

I like to mix off the cuff as much as I can. Through that, you find mixes that work together and I make a note of the few that do.

Also I have a note pad of 'theme's' that that I add to every so often, even when I am not mixing. Once I have about 23 tunes for an hour mix or 11 / 12 tune for a 30 min mix on a particular theme's page, then I am ready to have a crack at getting the mix together. Have the page open on the selection, and just have a mix with the selection on that page. Some say that it is limiting, but I like the challenge to try and make it work ;)

havent recorded a mix for about 5/6 months now need to get on one.

Yes. Yes you do :teeth:

I haven't hit record on a mix at home in about seven years so I'm not the best person to ask really.

perfectionism is a 2 edged sword kinda. depending on how important the mix is for me i'll plan a certain amount of time beforehand making sure everything "clicks" well together.

I've never got how people plan their tracklists beforehand when thinking about doing a mix.

I mix, remember bits that work then blend them into a coherant set

I definitely used to chase perfection before I started posting mixes. I used to have a HD full of bits of mixes I had recorded and never bothered doing anything with. I got over that very quickly when I realised I was getting nowhere.

Nowadays I just dig out about 20-30 records that I think will work well together depending on what style I want to go down and just plug in and record.

Hate planning mixes as nothing ever goes the way you intend. Best to just wing it in my opinion like you would if you were playing at a club for example.

I wouldn't quite say ours take months to plan, but it can span across a full week and sometimes into the next before our mixes are ready and there usually is a lot to think about. Everyone's different though. With our Dub Cutz mixes, we try and plan it as a journey now and progressively change it as it goes starting with synthy liquid stuff, slowly getting heavier and usually darker before lifting the mix into a more smooth deeper liquid feel. I sometimes like to finish on a specific track that differs from the rest of the mix too, like in our current mix, we finish off with a relaxed dubstep track, but because of the speed the last DnB track begins to slow down until it becomes mixable and it actually manages to work well.

As we do these regularly, we're always trying to look for new music and plan them out splitting them in different bands of styles so we know roughly where abouts in the mix they are going to get played. Once we have a set of tracks, we'll just play around with them aiming to practice the mix to see which ones work best with one another and then will note down mixes that work particularly well with one another. I'll try and write out an order as I go along then eventually we'll have the list written out fully. So from here it's a case of then aiming to record the set live in a single take. I have it all record into a portable soundcard into a laptop I have and run it through to the end, then once it's done we'll export that as a full quality wav and bring it into the main studio computer where I'll start to even out a few bits volume wise to tighten it up a little.

Next we tend to work on dropping voice overs that run throughout the mix and sometimes bring someone to the studio just to get them recorded, always trying to get fresh new things to drop over and keep it more personalised as an OP mix. The intro's have a standard radio style soundclip, but before it starts, we always try and find a new voice that we can fit in there to make it unique and keep people wondering what we're gonna use next. Sometimes we'll end on something as well.

Once the whole mix is balanced and voices have all been applied, we'll drop on a light limiter but try not to go overboard. In Cubase you can also watch the waveform change shape as you manipulate the volume, and so we can get an idea when it's even. Of course this is better off being made as tight as possible from the mixing itself, but we tend to fall foul of increasing the output when really getting into the mix.

After this, it's all about getting the artwork updated and we use a formulaic piece of artwork which can quickly and easily be changed just by altering the number and colour of the layout. It also keep the series uniform. A program can be used to attach artwork directly to the mix so that people see it when they grab and play them, especially looks cool on a phone. My cousin had a phone which would automatically change the colour of the whole player layout to match the most common colour in the artwork displayed.

Finally it gets uploaded and then all the tracks are written out properly along with a short writeup which then ends up on Soundcloud and promoted. This whole process from start to finish has taken around 2 weeks at the most, but I try and get it done in a week. If you include getting music though to the point where it has already been promoted, it can easily take more than a week. This is all dependent on how much time we have to spend though obviously. I usually try and drop the mixes on SC on a Friday evening, as the weekend is a good time to drop a mix and gain activity.

Oh and we tend to stick to about 74 mins on average as that's around the time limit for a typical CD, it will also tend to contain around 21 or 22 tracks.

Back
Top Bottom