when did the scene split?

Hunger_force

West coast Suburbanite
Hello,
I've been listening to jungle for about a year now and just started on oldskool hardkore. After listening to some tracks on the webs like, "on a ragga tip" and " the bouncer", it hit me that jungle is damn similar : P

I have just two questions, when did the scene go from oldskool to jungle, and who were the first djs/producers to venture into jungle.

note: apologies in advance if this is a newb question : )

haha thats cool mate, sgood to be curious. when you say jungle ill assume you mean modern jungle, also known as dnb .... theres no definitive story of what happened and it was a bit different wherever you were in the world I guess. altho the UK was the scene it all took shape in of course. so its the type of thing that is much discussed

the way i see it is the old school hardcore scene was so massive and people went on a bender with drug fuelled creativity. the music got faster, up above 150bpm, and also a big breakbeat element came in, along with reggae samples. music got a bit darker and more percussion based, and all the old school over-top synths hooklines and that were either warped to scary fuck, or vanished altogether. pianos got the boot, and techniques were invented so we didnt have to hear the chipmunk vocal anymore. all the happy ravers went fuck this and started lsning to house again, and all the junglists went fuck that we're goin deep.

and all the people who wanted their cake and eat it too got happy hardcore !! :rik:

read this dude
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_Bass

heavy contribution

edit - wanted to add that the tunes, bouncer and ragga tip, you mention are kinda good examples of the changeover, but I know people who loved those tunes and never became junglists, moved off into something else

Last edited:
You should look out for a DJ / Producer called ERS-ONE who is making new uptempo ragga jungle is LA.

His site may be www.raggabot.com but he ain't hard to find...

Just chipping that in cos I was surprised and impressed by his work, and the constant spreadind and diversity of this music we love...& he's local to ya...

Hello,
I've been listening to jungle for about a year now and just started on oldskool hardkore. After listening to some tracks on the webs like, "on a ragga tip" and " the bouncer", it hit me that jungle is damn similar : P

I have just two questions, when did the scene go from oldskool to jungle, and who were the first djs/producers to venture into jungle.

note: apologies in advance if this is a newb question : )

There is no such style as "oldschool" or "oldskool". Its a term made up by some looser brits to describe Hardcore, or what I and others like to call 'ardkore. "jungle tekno" is also a term used to describe this sound back then but it wasn't used too often. Before that even it was just called acid house.

The "jungle" style was a renaming of 'ardkore in 1994 or so. I always thought it was to differ from the happier sound as it mainly focused on ripping off ragga records from the 70s and 80s.

I liked 'ardkore better, there was little to no structure or rules on how to make a track other then it had to have heavy sub bass, a rhythm, and lots of samples (the weirder the better).

Last edited:
Right, best way to explain, is Back in 91 us ravers could hardly tell the difference bewtween Jungle and Hardcore, and it all got played together and everyone was a happy mess...but certain elements started to prey on teh scene, people grew up, etc ...but some DJ's focused on eth Happy stuff, and Jungle Techno was the opposite.

I know Jungle was well moody back in teh day, and it was hard to find people to come along with , but in actual fact I enjoyed it more in some ways ..there was a real underground edge. No happy horseshit either :evil:

Yeah.

& u can still find that 'collective dark calmness' @ parties with the better jungle / dnb soundsystems...Cos aggie music doesn't equal aggro in the right atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom