when are you at your most creative?

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist
Right, when i was at uni, my favorite/best times for making tunes were....

mainly at about 3/4 in the morning, usual whilst getting extremely baked!

and otherwise it was when i came back from my missis real early like 9 or 10 and spent all day making stuff and having a doob!

now i work full time i have to have forced creativity, which means i often spend a lot of precious time doing nothing!

what do you favour? discuss?

Early in the morning for me usually... its actually been proven that your brain is more active in the mornings.... although i probably counter act that with the fat spliff i smoke a few seconds after opening my eyes!... oh well...

I have to have creativity on demand all day at work, so inspiration/motivation normally comes quite easily to me when I'm at home.
it's a learned skill though I reckon.

I'm normally pretty creative when I'm driving if I turn off the stereo. In the mornings as well. If I don't have a lot going on around me my brain tends to produce it's own entertainment, if you like, so I often come up with bass-lines or ideas, then I have no idea what it was by the time I get back home. Started recording ideas into my phone so they don't get lost, duck into a corner and hum a tune into the phone. Must look mental.

It can happen at the weirdest times.

o After an epic set
o If i've been up for 30h+ (honestly, your brain does seem weird stuff)
o Darkness
o Pot/Alcohol. Adam and charly don't do it for me creatively.
o Sometimes just pure luck, it only takes a bar sometimes.
o When no one else is around, even though people may be in another room the solitude can really get some creative sparks going.

Prior to moving to spain, it was always just late nights senselessly blazing. Now im in spain its usually just late nights or mornings where i get things done. No more spliffs tho, which is a bit of a downfall as i much prefer after ur full up with munch to roll a fatty an get stuck in an lost in a tune.
Ide usually blaze untill i pass out or the tune bores me either or really.
Now im mainly watching films n tv shows instead of producing i dont find im that inspired to make tunes as much without bud....or it might be the fact that im using headphones still, an not even a decent pair......pisstake!!! :rolleyes:

i 've woke up a couple of times after heavy night of clubbing and drinking, and realised there is a new track or two in my 'recents' on FL studio... i cant remember creating them... sometimes they are shit - but sometimes there are bits that inspire me to create a track from some salvageable parts that sound crazy and different.

ive always thought consciousness
was a barrier to creativity...
the unconscious being the purely
uninhibited state of total creativity...
dreaming is a perfect example of this...

i find im at my most creative the more
tired i am and the closer to sleep
my brain is...

late night session always seem to
be most interesting/productive....

Around midnight for me, ideas seem to flow much better the later it is. Like Sook said it's probably your brain drifting cause your tired. I seem to get into a flow late at night too, like idea after idea and I haven't got enough hands to put them all down lol, this doesn't seem to happen so much in the day.

Last edited:
Waking up early after a night out at a gig. Still feeling abit :alchy: i can just sit there all day, make beats and recover.
All i need is time, i cant do shit if iv got heaps on my mind and heaps to do. Some plant always helps too

The morning after a rave.
My hearing is sometimes fucked but its when i normally have a drive to create something.

It always depends in what mood im in really, but I normally create better mixdowns in the morning because I'm more alert but I can create some fucked up sounds when im overly tired because I don't really have any control over what im doing I just do it.

The problem is I havent got any monitors at the moment so I havent made anything in a while.

Back
Top Bottom