What's your technique...

Lobo

...when it comes to mixing tunes.
Now i'm not talking anything fancy. If you're just bringing another tune in, no double drops.
What do you do? Drop the bass and gradually fade the other out or keep them both in until way after the drop?

Just need a few pointers as at present i seem to be capable of beat matching and keeping 2 tunes together but kind of let down by the presentation of level's etc.

There's not one way of doing it. every mix calls for a different 'technique'. Just play around with it. your mixes will become smoother and smoother as you practice more. I generally make sure that that the basses of both tunes aren't playing at the same time, i.e, have one bass reasonably low or off and concentrate on the other. then maybe switch them over. It all depends on the two tunes you are playing, sometimes one thing may work for one mix, but not for another.
Just practice and you will begin to understand what sounds better and what works

Just be definite of what you are doing.

Otherwise you will end up with a muddy mix.

Listen to a few mixes that these guys do in here and maybe some studio mixes and you can see (hear) what they are trying to do. Their mixing has direction, it is easy to follow what track is coming and which is going, when there is a breakdown, when there is a drop, etc.

Otherwise, just grab a big bag of charlie, and a mate who mixes and watch what he does :gang_bang

it depends really.
if im going to switch it over after a few bars when i mix a tune in il turn the bass down as soon as it drops on the tune that was already playing.if that makes sence.
it gives the tune thats dropped in more of an impact.

hits u harder like

im still a beginner and this is the technique i've been working on recently.

a lot of the tunes i practice with atm are jump up and have 32 bars of intro more or less.

drop it in, take the bass down so it isn't quite heard in your headphones, take a little off the mid and treble, begin to fade it in - all this in the first 24 bars.

then i mess with the trebles and mids to get them sounding good, in the 32nd bar swap over the bass and then move the crossfader a little more over to the incoming tune to get the incoming tune to drop in nicely.

it works really well when the tune has a nice drop, i love doing this with break - splash step.

Generally tend to match the bass.. Say if a tune drops into another into will switch the bass off so its a light wobble (jump up dj lol) over hi hat or whatever then as it drops put the bass back on and skank out!!!

First 8-16 bars, get the beats matched and pitch locked. Adjust EQ taking out the bass totally and half the mid.

Bring in the incoming tune after those 8-16 bars. After another 8-16 bars bring in the mid a bit more.

Then after another 8-16 bars, the incoming tune generally drops and the bass can be switched over.

Of course, this isn't applicable to all tunes, just the approach I take first. If it don't work then I look at other ways.

I treat them kindly and with tenderness at first, making them feel respected and loved...

Then I suggest we party some, we smoke a bit of pot, have some drinks for a while, then whaddya know "uh oh there's no more pot, I could only get crack..."

You'll have them out there turning tricks for faster than you can say "no officer I was merely asking her for directions to the local church"...

Technique, I has it...

I treat them kindly and with tenderness at first, making them feel respected and loved...

Then I suggest we party some, we smoke a bit of pot, have some drinks for a while, then whaddya know "uh oh there's no more pot, I could only get crack..."

You'll have them out there turning tricks for faster than you can say "no officer I was merely asking her for directions to the local church"...

Technique, I has it...

:who_wants

What other people have said really but you just have practice your lil socks off.

And record your mixes all the time and listen to where your going wrong, you MUST RECORD! You'll think something sounds phat, play it back to find its fuckin shite cos of the eqs etc etc...This is the way ive progressed so far in such a short period of time. It must be done, and put the hours in if you wana storm the place!

Not to be annoying, I'v tried using the search function and all, but i can't find anything on how to record a mix

I'v downloaded audacity, got a cable that can go from mixer to computer........but other than that i'm pretty clue-less.

Anyone care to give a quick run down ?

Not to be annoying, I'v tried using the search function and all, but i can't find anything on how to record a mix

I'v downloaded audacity, got a cable that can go from mixer to computer........but other than that i'm pretty clue-less.

Anyone care to give a quick run down ?

plug the cable into the line in (usually red) on ur comp. press record on audacity. easyyyyy

Back
Top Bottom