What's your take on online private electronic music tuition? Worth it?

fanu

Hi all.
Want to say first that this is not an ad so please understand that.
I'm interested in how people feel about online electronic music private tuition – is it something you would be willing to pay, or do you feel that watching free tutorials on Youtube etc is enough? What do you think would be a relevant price per hour? Is there a market for this, or is self-education enough?
I'm genuinely interested in this, being both a qualified teacher and a long-time electronic music producer (made music since 1992) trying to gauge the consensus on online tuition. Currently I'm also encouraged by the fact that I'm one of the five people that are invited to an official Ableton Certification event in Berlin in early July. Kind of stoked, as I'm the first-ever Finn to make it this far (still have to take the two-day exam), and afaik, in the whole of Scandinavia there are only two certified trainers so far.
I've been thinking of kicking off a private electronic music tuition around late summer / early fall. I'd teach Ableton Live inside out as well as all production-related topics requested. Mixing and mastering and running my company is my day job, so what also could be done is I open your song (prefererably as stems) and go thru it in terms of mixing and tell you what could be improved – is that something you'd feel is worth paying for? The only thing I would not be offering is a long-term "mentoring" thing; it requires a lot of commitment and time, and running all the things I already run, I probably couldn't take on long-term student mentoring – more like one-offs or a few "classes".
In terms of software used, I think TeamViewer or such might be the perfect option for it (I've only ruled Skype out so far; not good as you'll hear your own voice with a delay and it's a total mindf**k). I'd love to hear what you think is best for that.
Anyways, I'd be super interested in how people feel about this sort of thing in general. Please let me know how you feel; there are no right or wrong opinions, so just say what you think.

I'd need to trust that you could do the style that I wanted to do, and do it well. (i.e. make music of lots of styles and publish it somewhere as proof of concept)

I'd also be much more likely to purchase lessons if you had some tutorials on youtube I could watch, to make sure that you actually know how to explain things and understand what you're doing.

Don't rule out Skype, I'm sure it's perfectly possible to not hear your own voice with a delay. Plus Skype is well known and understood- you don't want your students to have to faff about with things they don't understand before they even get to talk to you.
You can use Virtual audio cable or similar to transport audio between DAW, Skype and your own mic.

I'd need to trust that you could do the style that I wanted to do, and do it well. (i.e. make music of lots of styles and publish it somewhere as proof of concept)

I'd also be much more likely to purchase lessons if you had some tutorials on youtube I could watch, to make sure that you actually know how to explain things and understand what you're doing.

Don't rule out Skype, I'm sure it's perfectly possible to not hear your own voice with a delay. Plus Skype is well known and understood- you don't want your students to have to faff about with things they don't understand before they even get to talk to you.
You can use Virtual audio cable or similar to transport audio between DAW, Skype and your own mic.

Thanks. I do have Youtube vids: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLatQOhKHwJYZ7ek0RS3KZlLOPp8OrY_HL
And made and released a plenty of music (DNB and hip hop).

Are you 100% sure about Skype or just speculating? I've given it my darndest, and I can't fix the issue I mentioned.

so what also could be done is I open your song (prefererably as stems) and go thru it in terms of mixing and tell you what could be improved – is that something you'd feel is worth paying for?

I think this is a cool idea. I've been producing something and I have a couple of "skilled friends" wich I'm constantly in touch for an "outside opinion", but they are not that much into DnB, and work with a good teacher is quite different from work with a good friend if you get what I mean.
Something like your "d&b breakbeat basics #1" is something that blew my mind and for sure I think that is worth paying for! (excuse me for my baaad english man XD)

Another cool thing that I would love to do is to give a "peek" inside some of your works in order to get pure inspiration and create something different! ;)

Thanks. I do have Youtube vids: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLatQOhKHwJYZ7ek0RS3KZlLOPp8OrY_HL
And made and released a plenty of music (DNB and hip hop).

Are you 100% sure about Skype or just speculating? I've given it my darndest, and I can't fix the issue I mentioned.
If the other person has you on speakers then it's pretty unsolvable.
If they use headphones then I have had that set up work with no delay.

Dnb and hip-hop is a good start- I reckon the bulk of your students will be hip-hop as it's a more popular scene and you'll need to be ready to deal with a lot of trap type people and 'beatmakers'. I'd also make sure you can do all the sub-genres (including the ones you don't like that much)

It'd be good if you could make some 4 to the floor type stuff as well, just to open up another market of house/techno people.

Also do you have a reasonably good grasp of music theory? I'd expect some of those questions to come your way now and then and it will look bad if you can't give a good answer.

If you really can't do one on one long term mentoring, why don't you create a curriculum for classes. Make vids with well edit structures and assignments, and then create or forum where people can ask follow up questions.

Back
Top Bottom