What's your method for resampling bass?

JReilly

Just curious how some of you guys do it, for example what software you use, what processing tools you use, your workflow etc...

Also where do you source your samples from?

Well resampling is nothing more than rendering a sound or loop to an audio file. But otherwise I should say that most of the time I resample not to put even more effects on it, but more to be able to chop things up or reverse particular parts.

Yeah I know what resampling means, I do it for all sorts of reason like to save CPU etc...

I'm more interested in how people use it to modulate there bass though, I've been experimenting with this a lot recently and just looking to see what other people are doing to get some inspiration.

I've been seperating the mids, high's and lows using filters and then individually processing the different sections. I get some interesting results (a lot of shit too.)

ill record a nice tone from a synth through saturation of some kind (tape, desk, pre-amp) into my sampler then apply the filtlers and do the looping and vol envs in the computer again.

The way i've done it in the past is to basically start with a decent sample or bounced synth, then keep adding effects over and over, then bouncing, then add some more effects, bounce again, reverse, pitch up/down, etc etc.. in logic, i once just went down every single drop down of the plugins and used almost every single one lol! I've found there is no rules with this but it all depends on what you do. distortion plugins are usally the way to go, Fromage is a badman as is sausage fattener.

I'll try and get as many interesting frequencies coming out of albino as i can, even if the rendered clip sounds shit by itself, nice movement and pitch bendyness.
Then my best results happened with freq splitting, chopping and splicing audio, formant or resonant filtering, classic reverb, cm fuzz, eq, chorus, writing automations for everything..nothing magic formula really, the main thing for me is just time, getting in the zone, tweaking, render everything that catches your ear, yeah there's a lot of shit but also some things that sound rubbish at the time can be useful/good later.

Well resampling is nothing more than rendering a sound or loop to an audio file. But otherwise I should say that most of the time I resample not to put even more effects on it, but more to be able to chop things up or reverse particular parts.

have done this before also.... the method i did was exporting the sub with the bass too, due to pitch bends reversin etc it would be difficult to write in the sub after to fit....

does everyone do the same?

I always make my subs separately, a simple sine with a little bit of a square an octave higher then low passed to give it a little bit of added presence, just enough to make it buzz.

Sometimes I'll add an oscillating low pass filter to groove with the rest of the track, then I add pitch bending and stuff through automation and just copy the patterns off the main bass where need be. Subs sound pretty much the same going backwards or forwards..

I bounce synth

then master it

process it

master it again

repeat till desired sound is reached,please note the full master procedure after each bounce,procesing introduce unwanted things,a downgrade in sound quality as result of imperfections of our current technolodgy

for example minimal phase filters witch are dominant filter type,delay the freqencies they are cutting in time while also introducing post ringing witch is kinda like reverb tail,these tails introduce spikes becose they make sound last much longer and it collide with new hit of sound that was ok to start before the filtering becose when it started the sound procesed ended becose it lacked the tail at the time

as for what I use to alter sound theres so many things,but I like taking bounced sound and then process it in granular synthethiser,it like cut the wave and alter its progression,and then the traditional things like cutting the sound into multiple layers,more filtering,whole galaxy of distortions,stereo wideners,I dont like reverb on my sounds,I mean pure stereo tools that only alter width,not like it simulates room or anything

What?

What do you mean by ''master it''

cut lenght wise,limit it,fine tune the stereo width and so on,also apply fide in and fade out,so the sound starts and ends at 0 phase,otherwise you get these annoying cracks and pops

also lol I just remembered,sorry I am baked :D that I hi pass and low pass the sound with alghorhytmix red eq that is best filter in world its like linear phase eq with no ringing

becose when you even slighly clip or hard limit sound it add sonic informatium pretty much from total deep base to ultrasonics,but sometimes I clip drum sounds to fill some freqency range in the drum hit,its like saturator except you can do it also by hard limiting the sound

so its like these shower gells 2 in one,for hair and body,so not only you saturate it in special way,you also get your sexy sausage loud as fuck dense wave shape

Last edited:
This is now my favorite thing that anyone has ever said on this forum.

now I feel so fabulous lol :D

images

Well one thing I do that can yeild interesting results is pick say 4-6 notes for your bassline, render out like 4 bar length loops of differnt wobble speeds, or diff synth settings etc... then compile these down into 1 long wave that has all of these different hits, put slice markers using whatever software you personally use for slicing beats (I use Edison and dump into SliceX). Then you can create multiple basselines for your song very quickly by jamming out on your MPD or Mashine and manually do stutters on notes in the MIDI etc... then y ou can bounce those basslines down and repeat till it's as mental as you wish. ;)

Alternatively you can do whatever you normally do for your basslines, bounce and slice that in something similar to SliceX and have some fun that way. You could also do all of your choopin and re-arranging in your programs "Playlist" area. Remember re-sampling doesn't always mean running back through more FX it's just sampling something more than one time ;)

Back
Top Bottom