Whats wrong with my drumbeat!?

muzzadj

VIP Junglist
Ezzz all!

Been on the production about a week now and tonight got a pretty ok drum beat going, but it seems to be missing something, or possibly even having too much (which i seem to think) but when i try taking away/changing a few of the kicks i've layered it doesnt help. It just doesn't sound clean when i compare it to tracks by established producers.

Anyway here's some audio :: http://dnbshare.com/download/Intro.mp3.html

Let me know what you think!

Safe

(btw your probably gunna be seeing alot of me from now on lol)

sounds alrite man was well annoyed wen it cut out on the drop tho!lol
does sound a bit tinny tho.
wat u using?

sounds alrite man was well annoyed wen it cut out on the drop tho!lol
does sound a bit tinny tho.
wat u using?

lmao sorry bout that, havnt got that far yet lol.

Cubase mate. Any suggestions? Or do you reckon i should just scrap the samples i've used and look for some more with less of a strong punch, think its the kick thats fucking it up.

lmao sorry bout that, havnt got that far yet lol.

Cubase mate. Any suggestions? Or do you reckon i should just scrap the samples i've used and look for some more with less of a strong punch, think its the kick thats fucking it up.

well im actually learning on cubase at the moment too so aint really got any tips on that.
wat version u using?
but maybe try sum different hits an see wat u can come up with.
i listened on laptop speakers tho so im not hearing it completly proper will check thru good speakers tomoro tho.

well im actually learning on cubase at the moment too so aint really got any tips on that.
wat version u using?
but maybe try sum different hits an see wat u can come up with.
i listened on laptop speakers tho so im not hearing it completly proper will check thru good speakers tomoro tho.

on cubase 4..

Actually thats a point.. I'm using some shitty 5.1 surround worth £20 tops lol, may be the problem!

on cubase 4..

Actually thats a point.. I'm using some shitty 5.1 surround worth £20 tops lol, may be the problem!

haha i got shitty speakers to actully.
i need to get sum monitors but wanna get technics first.
im usng 4 aswell i actually hate it!lol
my brother used to use sx3 an it was much better in my opinion

haha i got shitty speakers to actully.
i need to get sum monitors but wanna get technics first.
im usng 4 aswell i actually hate it!lol
my brother used to use sx3 an it was much better in my opinion

Well i've only had minimal experience with production, only been going about a week and seriously the last 2 days. But i'm using cubase at college so thought would be the best thing to use!

What you have doesn't sound half bad, but I guess it depends on what you are going for. At the moment, it's not very "full sounding" which is okay if you are looking to do something minimal...however, if you were looking for something a bit more well rounded, flowing, and rolling your going to want to add some layers to the drums.

Try throwing some breakbeat loops in that have a high-pass filter on them so you get just the high cymbals, hats, and rides coming through. To set the proper level, start at 0 and slowly add it in until you can barely hear it. I guess you wouldn't have to be shy of putting a little bit of reverb on it either because it will help you to fill the room a bit.

Does this make sense? It's always treated me right, mate.

Tbh it isnt that bad,
I agree it dosent seem like it has much balls to it,
Alot of the time it tends to be the samples that are used,
You only get out what you put in =]

get hold of some decent monitors or headphones.. always makes a difference

plus get some good plugins .. try psp vintage warmer on ur main drum beat.. dunno wot it does but its nice.. kinda makes it less digital

also try layering breaks up under your main drumbeats and hi passing them .. this all helps to give more depth to your beats

its not neccessarily wot sounds u use its where and how u use them in the mix .. hope this helps

Murderation... "We only kill SOUND"

Those kick drum sample(s) are awful. Might I suggest you get the Vengeance sample packs for some really beefy thumping kicks and drums in general. You need to fill the frequency spectrum out with a break/breaks layered underneath your main drums. Try a tambourine or shaker loop underneath and a high passed breakbeat loop.

Sounds ok to me, I think the main problem is that it's a bit too flat. Not enough dynamics. Maybe compress the whole loop a touch, bring all of the samples to a good all round level. The kick is a little "plain" I think a bit more low end would I improve it 10 fold. If you want some help pm me mate. I'm quite good at drums. Check my shiz for examples. Peace,
matt

Back
Top Bottom