WHATS UR BACKGROUND??????(musically)

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by lokki, Jun 10, 2004.

1. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

This is for a possible magazine article for context. what we are doing is doing an article on the diversity of dnb ie. from its roots and influences from reggae to techno. We ae kind of conductijng a survey of where people have come from and what previous musical tastes they had or still have....

So what u need to do is say what u used to like and if u still like it and what led u to dnb....

ta!

here is mine as an example!

I was initially into all sorts of stuff (i am atsrting this from when i was like 12 not a little kid cos i used to really love micheal jackson....).

I liked anything beaty like the early prodigy stuff. however i really liked cypress hill and this got me into loads of other hip hop. mainly main stream stuff like tribe called quest, jurrasic 5, snoop, nwa etc etc. I was really feeling all of that shit and was even liking rage against the machine as well so it was all varied! then the prodigy hit me again and alongside the chemical bros i was hooked on that music. i still am. From here i got into drum n bass and love every single style of dnb especially really funky but bassy stuff. I still love hip hop but am feelin uk hip hop more as it is more relevant i love karl hinds! i like loads of leftfiled stuff as well like the orb and orbital! the doctor who tune is wikkid! and aphex twin for real darkness!

thats it so to sum up:

curently i like leftfiloed music ala: leftfield!, orb, morcheeba, aphex twin, squarepusher etc.

Hip hop ...uk: skinny man, roots manuva, etc

Drum n bass: london electricty, marky, dillinja!

i even own a marilyn manson album!!!! although i have lost it!

2. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

actually make urs much shorter than that!! i babbled on!

3. Cube

Cube www.exegene.com

funky hip-hop, downtempo + electronica is my scene

like amalgamation of soundz, stuff on ninjatune, stuff on warp, prefuse 73, kruder + dorfmeister, morcheeba, quantic, grand central records, j5, the roots, cypress hill, madlib, mf doom, def jux....

then i started listening to atmospheric dnb, such as bukem, nookie, pfm, big bud, rantoul...

thats where i am now :twitch:

4. mesh

mesh Active Member

definitely ABBA
    also John Denver, lickle bit a Demis Rousos

5. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Started listening to Hardcore back in school, around 1992. Usual stuff from Dreamscape and of course, The Prodigy.

Didn't actually get properly into Drum & Bass until around 1999, was a Hardcore head right up until then. That said, I didn't switch from one to the other, I am still very much into producers like Scott Brown within the Hardcore scene.

I also enjoy Hip Hop, especially Norega, Wu Tang, Redman, Beastie Boys and a bunch of other artists like Dizzee Rascal. Definitely have to big up the Neptunes / N.E.R.D. I am always diggin' their tunes, whether it's on Justin Timberlake or their own bits, very sick producers.

6. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

i started listenin 2 de la soul wen i was bout 13 & progressed on 2 other old skool hiphop acts (mainly new york stuff) like grandmaster flash,public enemy,big daddy kane, gangstarr,BIG, mobb deep too many 2 mention. got really in2 the roots of hiphop & how i all started & i still love all dat.
    likin nu rap at the mo n all.
    got in2 dnb thanx 2 m8s at skool (big up dj summe!), went on a dj course & started lovin dnb n decided i wanted 2 dj it!

7. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

the WU TANG!!!! i forgot bout them!

8. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

first heard proper breakbeat/jungle back in 1993, from tapes the old kids at school had..
    well into it it 95-97, loadsa night etc..
    dnb goes bit dead, getting well into techno/psy trance.
    99 i realise that dnb aint dead all together, just in athens..:D, well into it again
    apart form that, i can listen to pretty much anything now, as lomg as it doesnt fall into my perception of cheese.
    mostly:
    ska/punk/hardcore: like capdown, misfits, pennywise, detestation, suicidal tendencies( not all), sick of it all..

us/uk hip hop:early Wu, Dilated peoples, Ugly Duckling, P.U.T.S.,Roots Manuva, Quasimodo, DJ Format, DJ Yoda, necro & ill bill

reggae/ska: mostly old stuff, loadsa lee scratch perry and the upsetters, horace andy, big youth, burning Spear, niney & the observer, black uhuru, Skatalites, toots & the maytals

dub: Iration steppas, zion train, alpha omega (no, not mr.Lindo..!), mad professor, augusto pablo

techno: still lovin the bad ass sound of DAVE the drummer and Liberator DJs, though i havent really heard fresh material..

and i really dont like psychedelic trance no more...really dont like it... :gimp:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  9. Ab0|2Ti0N

Ab0|2Ti0N WHAT THE FUCK IS JUICE???

Been always listen to hip-hop, both mainstream and underground, but mostly underground groups. Then first heard DnB back in 96-97 when someone was bumping LTJ Bukem's 'Music' in Workmen's Outlet (a store dedicated to all the elements |bboyin'/writin'/MCing/Djing/etc|. i thought it was some sick shit. Got into it dnb but also got into a lot of cyber trance. DJ Tiesto was my fav. followed everything he did, loved all his mixes/productions. But i was listening to both cyber trance and dnb, i was in love with all of Konflict's production. I think i had downloaded almost all of their tracks. :rinsed: Then after a while, i started spinnin'. Istarted of spinnin' a lot of trance. i slowly got turned away from dnb, and stayed with trance. Then i got introduced to a lot of progressive trannce/house from a friend. Stuff from the the likes of Sasha/Deep Dish/ John Digweed. Then till bout' late 2002 early 2003, i came to my senses :) and got back into dnb. I dunno what happened. just the sound came back to me.

I've always been heavily into DJ Krush, Dj Shadow, Invisibl Skratch Piklz, Portishead, Massive Attack, between my music phases. I never got tired of their stuff and just stuck with me.

But it's all bout' the jungle jungle. :lighter:

10. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

yeh i forgot 2 mention them too! but like i sed, too many people 2 mention!

11. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

my family is very musical, my mum and dad both used to sing opera and write classical scores, my brother has been in successful rock bands and owns angel recording studio in hull, and my sister plays bass guitar in a female punk band in hull, so i was brought up on lots of different types of music. for years i was very much into the alternative types of music, only since getting into djing and producing have i been into the more electronic genres. i play guitar, i can read music and have a fairly sound knowledge of music theory, and now i'm doing my second year of an access to music cmtt course, and that's about it.

12. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I'd had a think and here goes…

As a kid was aware of early Hiphop, had Rapper's Delight on a Disco Hits vinyl album and did living room backspins on a piece of cardboard from Chrissy pressies, which made it scratch and jump, obviously.

As a teenager (in Wigan, close to Manchester) the whole Madchester thing was massive which was cool Stone Roses, Mondays, 808 State and all that. I was in a band doing covers and organising fairly innocent 'raves' in local Labour clubs.

Then in 1993 got into Cypress Hill and Snoop, which got me into all Dre's production and wider hiphop generally. From West Coast, to all, and old and new. (Still listen to old and new, but fed up of the bling and more ignorant shit of recent years).

Listened to pirates not even knowing it was at the time, (hardcore and jungle).

Been buying DnB on CD since Goldie's Timeless in 1995, and then all the big artist albums, Alex Reece, Photek, Adam F, Reprazent etc. All were so fresh in their time…

Also liked trip hop in its day, Tricky, Portishead, DJ Shadow, DJ Cam, Ninja Tunes, Mo Wax etc.

In DnB for a long time I preferred Jungle & Jump Up to later DnB, and current stuff, but love it deeply now. Do go off DnB if it goes too techy and cold and soulless.

First raves I went to ( London 97-98ish) were very open musically were you'd have a DnB dj playing then a techno dj then a DnB dj, or whatever, it was all just music, and everyone just carried on dancing.

Love techno to go out to, firstly Acid techno then funky and wonky, breaky techno. 98-2000 saw a very vibrant illegal squat party scene, always techno and DnB rooms.

Listening to and buying a lot of hiphop at the mo, liking 50Cent and G-Unit very much. Listening on headphones and getting into the lyrics much more.

I'm open to UK hiphop, but have yet to be blown away, maybe just need to be educated.

Do like Dizzee and the Grime stuff tho, seems very current and more relevant.

I liked the first Streets album alot, but very unsure about the new one.

I don't really DJ,(still struggle t o mix), but do play out (mainly off CD, just cos I've got the tracks) party hip hop, jungle and DnB at house parties sometimes. Far too many classic tracks that I still need on vinyl to worry about dub plates and the latest releases.

13. Hago

Hago Global Virus DnB

Well i was born into a musical family with my father being both a singer and playing trumpet in various bands,since i was about 12 ,i started listenin to rock music like Queen and then progressed onto AC/DC,Iron Maiden,Deep Purple and then when this wasnt hard enuff about 85/86 i started listenin to Metallica, anthrax, Slayer..movin on to 88/89 ..i was really into Death Metal ,American Hardcore and wait for it ..............Pet Shop Boys and Erasure..my 1st electronic bands,Then i started gettin into P.E and NWA ,Krs 1 and Epmd ...so by 91 i was into all mad different methods of music..even giving classic and opera a blast..
    Then one fine day in 1991 i heard Charly by the Prodigy.. and as ive always said about music "if it dont grab you by the balls,dont listen to it"...man hearing Charly i nearly shit myself ,i jus went clean mad lookin for it and other music like it..and 13 years later ive seen the music develop and grow into what i class as the most innovative form of music you are ever likely to hear..and i still love it more than ever..
    I also still listen to metal,and i like to listen to some hip hop(but not too much),and then the old downbeat stuff for chillin after the weekend ,also like to listen to old happy hardcore tapes from the early 90's but at the end of the day Jungle/DnB is my life and thats what makes me happy and thats the way itll stay
    (yn)

14. mesh

mesh Active Member

was into all the electro-pop stuff in the eighties, + thompson twins, inxs. Then in 88 age 13 a mate got me into Fresh Prince and LL Cool J, also Bob Marley and the like. whoah. That went on for a couple years and by 90 was also listening to stuff like SoulIISoul and the hip-house around at the time. Also Tone Loc and PE were huge influences
    Then in 91 another mate got into raving properly and dragged me in, so it was stuff like Quadrophonia, Devotion etc that just blew me away totally. I dont think my parents ever forgave him for introducing me to the demon!!
    TURN THAT SHIT DOWN!!!!
    And from there into hardcore and jungle by 93.
    I kept a strong appreciation for techno, many types, verging into hardcore styles (but not really).
    I have also liked bands like Tool, Primus, Rollins Band, Pearl Jam. I love the grime/UKHH crossover, got Wiley in the CD player now. DJs Plasticman, Subtek, Slimzee, Roll Deep crew.

wicked :chainsaw: :kermit: