whats up with that???

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by lokki, Dec 13, 2007.

1. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

From that 'what is the world coming to?' thread... (seemed a bit inappropriate carrying this on there seeing as it was about a 10 year old girl getting raped n all..)

I can understand why people write 'dat', 'cos', etc etc..no problem with that....but why do people use 'OV' instead of 'OF'..its the same amount of letters???

whats that all about??? lol.

also wiv instead of with is a bit annoying ..lol.. but that just me.

not going to go on about it because i use cos and type fast so my spelling is fucked... but at least i try!! lol.
    :rik: - eh?

2. tarranjoe

tarranjoe Active Member

lol!! oh sorry, was that an abreviation

3. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

eye havent n e idea

4. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

Re: wots ^ wiv dat???

I refuse to believe it's just about time saving, or what have you...

it's simply the dumbing down of written communication, as it's deemed cool/acceptable to spell phonetically with as little letters as possible, when in reality it's irritating and kind of a weakness.

Some people could argue that it's just an extension of communication, however the counter argument to that is thus; many children will grow to disregard the need for correct spelling, therefore suffering with written English due to a lack of practise.

I have nothing against anyone that uses it, but i refuse to lower my grammatical standards to 'text speak' ('txt spk').

Rant over.

PS. Thanks for keeping it from the other thread, lokki.

5. Toejam

Toejam OOOBEY DOOBEY

Word! sorry it was me who swang off on a tangent:|

it bugs me cos i wont read that persons opinion/quote properly because if the text is basic and dumb then the opinion will reflect that

or iz i bin a bit 2oo powdantic blud?

6. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

needin propa grama n spelin iz da burzwar waj ov kipin Da workin man Down!11!!11!!! Fukin tofs!111!!! :hagglers::hype::D:sixty_nin:coffee::jackson::rik:

7. mzacker

mzacker ^^^^/\^^^^

hahahahaha, you guys are right :applause: It's not like a text message where it's a pain in the arse to enter the shit in, it's a keyboard for fuck's sake.

...and when I type right now it tells me if I spell a word incorrectly, like MS Word.

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

that along with excessive use of the elipses (the '...' after every sentence)
    its when spelling is a part of your 'online personality'.
    its for when you have an 'online personality'.
    i doubt you have much of an 'offline personality' if youre that bothered
    did you notice the quotation marks, it makes my expression more patronizing isnt it

9. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

No no..

Look I can understand cutting g down precious time by writing abbreviations of words like I said..but why use OV???? It’s the same length???

10. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

There's no excuse for using abbreviations. Abbreviations make sense in the military or in technical usage, not in day-to-day communication. Their usage in everyday context is an abuse of language and a hinderance to social interaction.

How you say something is as important as what you say. Form and function combine in language. You may not like it but its true.

Writing gibberish will not convince anyone of the truth of your words, because they will not be able to understand you.

Language can of course be abused, with form displacing content, that is allowing rhetoric to replace meaning and verity, i.e. Blair. That however is no excuse for not putting the minimal, FUCKING, effort into writing. If you can't be bothered to write something in plain FUCKING English, I will dismiss your comments out of hand as being childish, incredibly lazy or ignorant (or all three).

Finally, I can't understand why people who proclaim that music is so important to them abuse the melody and rhyme of language. You don't have to use perfect punctuation and grammar to preserve the beauty of language.

Take for example Logikz. He may not use capital letters but he does use punctuation and his choice of words and sentence structure is evocative and strangely compelling, almost like Milton blank verse. Melody and rhyme. Knowledge and wisdom, as Rebel MC would say.

Txt speak sounds like US Marines talking to each other, not ragga toasters.

Oh and "two" takes exactly the same time to write as "2" if you have been using a keyboard for more than a week.

Edit - the FUCKINGs I have used illustrate the usage of punctuation. Commas denote pauses.

11. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

[​IMG]

da shiznit just pisses ma ov...or off

no really though notice all who have posted have got to be creeping on 30 if not already

gwarn the midle aged masif
    one blud

12. shadowdemon1990

shadowdemon1990 Original Nuttah

OMFG u just dont give up ill rite how i want 2 simple im just used 2 typing like this ! im not sum dumbass who cant spell cuz i can im just not important 2 write evrythink correctley on here so :ipfft@u: :upyours:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  13. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

check out Dustek's militant grammar bizzle!

Lol.

No, look I can understand the point of writing in text speak. Although its really annoying to read, (and yes i agree with Dustek, i take people who write that way less seriosuly), i just dont get why people use 'OV' instead of 'OF'...makes no sense..its just annoying!

lol.

14. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

its not really about what you are writing but the way you abbreviate stuff means the impact of what you are saying is lost... i mean i dont really know what you are saying above..

Im not having a go really just muckin about..before you take it too personally....

15. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

...'Fuck'...'off'....

:D

PS. The shift button is your friend and can produce wonderful capital letters, like for use when starting a sentance etc... so 'ner'...'ner' :gaywhite:

16. logikz

oh yeah. i er... forgot. im the one with the online persona. its... thank you. almost forgot. :rinsed:
    boy do i feel silly.

much obliged dustek, and may i say you certainly have a subtle turn of phrase geeza.

17. DJ SCUBA

DJ SCUBA Vinyl Addict

Lokki? Did you mean to change shadowdemons quote? lol :D

18. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

i sense hostillity from you, have i upset/offended you?

prey tell.

19. logikz

what me? no im serious, i sort of shot myself in the foot with that post. i do have a life outside work too, i feel i should mention that somewhere along the line. reminds me of a mate of mine (named shoe for some reason) who was like 'i always tell the girls i have a one night stand with about my girlfriend' right, make you think hes pretty cool right, so i asked him 'when do you say it though? before or after sex?' and hes like 'after...' which i thought was funny for some reason

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  20. MARLZTAH

MARLZTAH ++DuB PrOFesSoR++

:crazy:
    i dont see the point ov it either :D

oh n props 2 dustek 4 uzein all dem long werdz n shit :teeth: