What's the difference between being signed, and having a track signed?

Discussion in 'Production' started by LG18, Nov 11, 2014.

1. LG18

LG18 Member

On an obvious level, one is the signing of the person, the other of only the persons track, but what does that mean exactly? And why do both exist?

Thanks.

- LG

2. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Sometimes producers make one tune that is totally different to their usual output, so a label that would sign that sort of tune ain't gonna commit to signing the artist if there aint gonna be anymore tunes like that.

And many smaller labels don't want the hassle or don't have the resources to keep an artist paid (i.e. getting them regular dj gigs....etc)

3. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Being signed usually means at least 2 or more album deals and exclusive signings mean they can only release on said label.

Getting a track signed is one contract for that tune or tunes and the artist can continue to get other tracks signed in conjunction.

They exist because nowadays any man and his dog can release anything, historically band/people could only get stuff released by bigger labels so a deal would revolve around the artist as a whole. That's my understanding anways

4. LG18

LG18 Member

Ahh right, I see.

So when you send your tracks to a label, if they want to be affiliated with you, would you be offered a record deal, or a track/tracks signing?

I assume there's some criteria which distinguishes weather they want to sign the track or the person.

5. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

Well I lease a couple of my tracks out to big Jeff at Gautamano bay says couple hours of water boarding and my music gets even the ardest jihad talking. Anyway yeah what he said leasing a track is different though for instance I might lease a track to a video game or a tv advertisement. So there's that aswell

6. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

About 4 pints of lemonade and 7 cheese sandwiches