what's the deal with clearing samples?

fastfret

I'm sure almost everyone here has for example an amen break in their sample library. Just wondering is it 100% legal to release tunes with popular samples like that without any kind of clearance?

Obviously if you just use it as a filler cutting all the low end most people will be none the wiser but say you're releasing a jungle track. I'm sure drum n bass wouldn't be where it is today if copyright laws are too tight.

Loads of breaks like these are found on sample cd's though so I guess that makes it fine?

as soon as you start proccessing them they pretty much "turn" into another sample altogether i reckon, just disguise them, no one can really have a strong case against you in court then. ;)

I'm a long way from needing to know, but still....I would like to hear the serious answer to this question.

i seriously doubt any breaks have been protected....unless its like a unique 10/16.5 break that sounds like nothin else and is using a new drum called a punch drum that was invented byt vinnie jones.

who knopws

if your making dnb and not selling loads of copys its fine. if the breaks taken from a legitimate sample cd then its 100% not your problem. the only way to risk getting in trouble is bootlegin tracks but even the you have to sell alot of tracks to warrent a court case (were talking thousands). i'd just ignore it and if you get sued then it'l just be free publicity!

what about vocals tho? loads of dnb tracks use some well known vacals, who do you get permission off if the artist (original vocalist) unfortunately died? im pretty sure subfocus or logistics couldnt release a track because the vocal issue couldnt be rectified? i think i read about it on the general section on this site ages ago.

what about vocals tho? loads of dnb tracks use some well known vacals, who do you get permission off if the artist (original vocalist) unfortunately died? im pretty sure subfocus or logistics couldnt release a track because the vocal issue couldnt be rectified? i think i read about it on the general section on this site ages ago.

when a track gets signed to a label they own it, the producer gets a % in royalties

when a track gets signed to a label they own it, the producer gets a % in royalties

cool. if you were hell bent on getting o certain vocal that youve been trying to get for ages, could you purchace the vocal off the record company? or if you found it, ask for the permission? i would imagine some companies would be wankers about it.

well, you have a number of options:

1. use the vocal and hope the label doesn't find out/doesn't give a shit
2. contact the label and ask for permission/buy royalties
3. re-record the vocal

(y)

well, you have a number of options:

1. use the vocal and hope the label doesn't find out/doesn't give a shit
2. contact the label and ask for permission/buy royalties
3. re-record the vocal

(y)

Yeah youve seemed to have nailed it there mate.;)

Imagine being noisia or sumin, you go release a top tune (my world!), 2 months later the opposing record company's like "you cheeky bastards for using my vocal!". That would be down to the two company's to battle it out yeah?

there was some group that had a very successful release in the 80's i think but the whole track was made from samples or something and they had to pay all the money made to the labels haha

something like that anyway

Well but what i was thinking about is a HC song "Days go by" where is uses a sample of a guitar string and a vocal from a track by Stevie Nicks "Edge of seventeen". And the track is still called "days go by" and not "Stevie Nicks - Edge of seventeen(High Contrast remix)". How is that like that :D I mean where is the edge of calling it your own song or calling it a remix of the original?

there was some group that had a very successful release in the 80's i think but the whole track was made from samples or something and they had to pay all the money made to the labels haha

something like that anyway

Gutting!:D

Well but what i was thinking about is a HC song "Days go by" where is uses a sample of a guitar string and a vocal from a track by Stevie Nicks "Edge of seventeen". And the track is still called "days go by" and not "Stevie Nicks - Edge of seventeen(High Contrast remix)". How is that like that :D I mean where is the edge of calling it your own song or calling it a remix of the original?

Im not sure about the technicalities on this one.

if you get the sample re-played you only pay the composer. if you use the sample then its the labels property. the latter's a lot more expensive.

hope thats some help.

whats the deal with clearing samples

Curiosity.

Whos got an old one?
How much was it?
Where did you buy it?
Are you happy with it?
Did you have to buy a new amp too?
Whos got the new model?
Anyone able to compare the two?

Thanks.
_______
=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===

Re: whats the deal with clearing samples

Whos got the new model?
===[/b]

BRIAN BLESSED HAS THE NEW MODEL AND HES THRILLED TO BITS!

2qd7qz7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom