What's the best software to start off with?

noisemonkey

A mate of mine has just given me an old P166 with Cubase VST. I was wondering whether Reason would work on it and also what is the best sample editing software or cheap sampler?

Affliction

VIP Junglist
Originally posted by noisemonkey
A mate of mine has just given me an old P166 with Cubase VST. I was wondering whether Reason would work on it and also what is the best sample editing software or cheap sampler?

I think with a Pentium 166 you're gonna struggle to do any kind of software based production. About all you could do is run Cubase as a midi sequencer to external gear. But if you're just starting out i seriousley wouldnt reccomend doing that yet.

I dunno if Reason will run on such a machine, im guessing no, but check the minimum system requirements on the propellerheads website. If it does run, it'll be slow as hell :cry:

The best sample editing software.... i opt for Wavelab personally, but lots of people like Soundforge aswell. Those two, and Cool Edit, are the best ones :thumbsup:

noisemonkey

cheers for the info dudes. So what is the minimum spec for Cubase SX, Reason and the like? Am seriously thinking about getting the bits together and building a beast or buying the components and getting someone else to do it.