What's more imortant to you in a mix?

Borf™

Borf
VIP Junglist
Tune selection or the actual mixing.

And don't say both, because they're obviously both important.

To me, I'd rather a sick tune selection and decent mixing than wank tunes and amazing mixing.

Tune selection and a diverse style of mixing personally.

I like hearing different techniques & styles of DJ'ing but can't stand an hour of exactly the same style of tunes or mixing. Get's boring.

edit: Just realised I said both in one way or another, in short, selection.

Last edited:
I'd much rather great tunes as long as the mixing isn't distractingly bad. Amazing mixing can make or break a set though.

Nah, not really.

For instance, there's a lot of hip hop mixes with songs I'm not a huge fan of but the scratching and mixing make me want to listen to it.

Not with Dnb though, as scratching isn't a huge focus.

Yeah I agree with this, in other styles where turntablism is important, I'll listen to a mix for the mix, but In DNB, I listen for the tunes, but a good mix can turn average tunes into a good listen

Tune selection everytime, i don't care how well it's mixed if i don't wanna listen to the tunes in the first place then whats the point?

All about the tune selection.
Great example for is Goldie. He never does quick, double drop mixes. He takes his time and lets the tunes breathe a bit. Without the good tunes though no one would be listening. Goldie could literally get a tune in time and switch it into a break down. Not the hardest thing to do. But without the baaad tunes it sounds shit.

HAHA
Hazard over andy c....something must be up. Hazard dont even mix he just switches.. even if he did mix he tunes are dire. Must be simple in the head to enjoy a hazard set.

HAHA
Hazard over andy c....something must be up. Hazard dont even mix he just switches.. even if he did mix he tunes are dire. Must be simple in the head to enjoy a hazard set.

must be simple in the head to say such a retarded comment. personal preference you fuck wit

HAHA

Hazard's a good dj, always nice and tight with his mixes, yeah he does tend to quickly switch between tunes rather than really draw out a mix, although he is perfectly capable of this, I've seen him do some sick mixes at Playaz at Fabric (which is by far the best place to see him play)

That's just the way he chooses to play tho, more about the individual tunes than the mixes for him, which is fair play

And just to add, poor mixing can ruin a set of great tunes

But great mixing can make a set of poor tunes much better

At the end of the day good mixing and a good tune selection are as important as each other really, I'll never bother listening to a set which doesn't sufficiently provide both

Yeh i dont doubt hes a good DJ for jump up. But theres only so many times i can hear a wooo woo mixed to a waa waa.
At least andy has some variation to his sets.

Back
Top Bottom