What's going on in the world....

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Borf™, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

I was quite suprised how little of my mates watch/read the news.

I get clued up in some way every day.

Thought it'd be good to have a thread to post bits of important, interesting, shocking or even funny news, and then give your opinions on it.

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11966645

I can understand why the students are unhappy. They have a right to protest.

There was a women on Daybreak who was speaking up for students, and she kept going on about police brutality.

Thing is, among the students genuinely protesting against fee raises, there are those who want to cause mayhem and assault the police.

So from a police point of view, you have a group of knobs throwing a metal barrier at them. If there's someone around that area, they're going to use force. But, an innocent student could be caught up in it. But the police can't take the chance.

So it's not the police's fault. Why don't she blame the dicks causing the violence?

2. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

i think the "protests" going down, show how many arseholes there are willing to take it that 10 steps too far, ruining it for the people who are genuinely portesting to try and stop whats going down not make it worse.
    makes me glad i live in wales where its quiet and theres not as many street thugs

3. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Where to in Wales?

Come to Cardiff man, rudeboys everywhere!

4. spiderfran286

spiderfran286 "Yes, squid pro roe..."

end of the day, if the police didn't put fences up and pen people in, then people wudn't start losing it. yeah you cant just blame the students or the police, but they are both as bad as each other when it comes to wanting to fight....

5. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

And let them run riot all of London?

Vandalising shit at will like they ended up doing later on?

6. spiderfran286

spiderfran286 "Yes, squid pro roe..."

all am saying is the police are just as up for having a fight as the small minority of ppl who wanna act a twat.....

i cud see one copper twating some1 with his riot shield for no reason at all.....

then there is this classic photo....
    [​IMG]

fuck coppers man, too many of em are power crazy bald headed thugs. just as bad as the ppl they are trying to stop

7. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

I honestly only watch Local News & Al Jazeera.

I can't bring myself to watch BBC/ITV/C4 News, in all honesty I find it tantamount to low-level brainwashing the twist & spin they put on stories is just so blatant now, it actually ends up making me angry, you can't take what they're telling you at face value.

Sad state of affairs.

8. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

I stay away from the media as much as possible.

I think the students, police and government are all morons.

-Students should know all too well that violent protests in civilised society, unless its a revolution etc, dont work. Its like the old "we dont negotiate with terrorists".
    -The police because they werent pushing people back with shields, they were digging at, and hitting people with them.
    -The government because theyre denying people education who would, in the long run, more than likely give the government back far more than what was paid in fee's in tax :/.
    Government are fucking morons.

Reminds me of my friends facebook status, lol.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  9. DJ_NoZ

DJ_NoZ Rum & Ass

....today people fightin, feudin, lootin, it's okay, let it go, let it flow, let the good times roll, tell 'em Dre... It aint nuttin but muuuuusic.

10. JJEC

JJEC Active Member

Leebotwood, Shropshire, United Kingdom, United Kin
    This is the main place i learn about whats happening around the world. http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/
    There is a lot more stuff on the website than they tell me on the radio and on the tv sometimes. The best thing about it is that its just pictures with a little description at the bottom. Im sure that photos of the rioting will be up soon.
    On another note, here are a few photos my mate took at london yesterday. He studies photography at westminster lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Subjekt Music

Subjekt Music Well-Known Member

Borftesting

12. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

agree very much... as with reading national papers! my dad often quotes what he hears on the news/reads in the paper as his opinion, but its so far from the truth its unreal!

i tend to catch up on worldy affairs on chat type radio forums, as that we you get to hear both sides of the story run in a relativly un-biased manor (y)

radio 4 and bbc london ftw!

13. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

I don't believe everything I hear.

I always make my own mind up on things.

14. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

I think the students need to rethink what they are protesting for. what have the police and the royal family have to do with tuition fees? Its stupid, who has to pay for all the mayhem?...TAX PAYERS!!! I mean what the fuck has throwing paint on Churchill memorial gonna achieve apart from hate??

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  15. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

you tell em sammy :ban: but to be honest, what else did people expect to happen... mob mentality man, doesnt make it right though!

personally, i'm just pleased to see british people staging a decent protest for once

16. BDS

BDS Active Member

It's just a sign of the times in my opinion.

People are sick and tired of being kicked in the head, If its not Student fee's its ID cards and if its not ID cards its police abuse of authority or the way poorer people are always on the shitty end of tax rises.

I could go on but tbh theres no point as if you sit down and have a think for a minute or 2 its easy to see that society is going the way of Orwell's 1984 at a shocking rate.

Like I say people are just getting to breaking point, theres only so many times you can push someone before they push back with added punches.

17. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

rather these very minor incidents than anarchy tbh... i personally think the police do a very hard job, with very little thanks, and in things such as these riots are damned if they do and damned if they don't! they are facing massive job cuts, most of them will have kids affected by the education cuts, they are just doing their job at the end of the day (y)

18. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

people are going on about how all the violence is just unnecessary and ruining it for the majority - and i agree to an extent.
    But when was the last time mass scale peaceful protest achieved anything? The Iraq war?
    Our governments have had so little internal threat to deal with since the miners strikes that they've become accustomed to just doing whatever they want. Just because 200 people in a building want to increase fees because it will make their budgeting over the next few years easier (not necessarily better) doesn't mean that everyone else does.

Something needs to happen that will make the government actually think "hey shit people really arn't happy with this at all, maybe we should step back.." peaceful demonstrating and scattered violence won't achieve this. And the minute anything serious happens, say hundreds of students actually get into parliament, the government will declare anarchy etc etc, clamp down on marches, protests etc and try and control everyday life even more.

getting kind of catch 22y

19. BDS

BDS Active Member

Im talking more along the lines of what seem to be everyday annoyances for alot of people like stop and search and abuse of the terrorism act to do things.

20. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

oh yeah i get that completely too, the cctv cameras as well.
    i mean you cant even get on most buses now without a camera in your face!
    it'll be interesting to see how society/politics goes over the next decade or so, either people will get more and more accustomed to all the government mollycoddling or they'l turn round and start questioning it