Whats a parallel bus?

Bus' are a form of public transport, look like really big cars with lots of seats, some of them have two floors.

anyone know how you can send a return to a return? cos i often send my snares to a snare return, but then wana run them through a second return that is taking all the drums in... or am i going to have to do the long ting and bounce the snare track from the return and do it that way?

There has got to be advantages to bussing rather than grouping... i'm still pretty new to this also
We need an expert opinion

However, I am sure there are certain things you wouldn't want to group together but still would want to send to the same place to have the same effect

but lets say you just have 3 tracks of kick drums, and you simply want to lowpass them all at 140hz (hypothetically, for whatever reason you would want to do such a thing,) are there any differences?

dont know cos i dont really use the group function, but i imagine its a different mean to the same end (y)

bussing & grouping is essentially the same thing

---------- Post added at 07:50 ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 ----------

The only use I could think of for a parallel buss would be like parallel compression, so you can bring in another copy of something and have it low in the mix, like with parallel compression on drums, where you make a copy of your drums and smash the life out of it and have it sat really quiet in the mix to beef up your drums. Also called New York compression.

Well said. It's also dependant on the program you are using. For example, in FLStudio there are no "Bus channels" or grouping per se, but you can route any channel in the mixer into any other, and chain them further too. Then again in Reaper you have grouping which links the properties of channels to each other (volume, pan, etc.) so when you change 1 channel you change all channels in that group. And bussing is handled there by sending something to a regular channel.

Parallel bussing just means that you have a signal going to 2 places: a bus channel and the master channel. So you have 2 (or more) parallel signal paths of the same source sound.

Another obvious use for bussing would be bass splitting. You have the same bass sound going to 3 different channels for various different modulations, and then you direct them to a single channel (a bus channel) for compression or limiting or whatever.

bus's are dead handy and i didn't make much use of them recently but there so good for sending stuff to and putting effects on and making sounds more full. Mainly used them for drums but now everything is usually being sent other places.

Back
Top Bottom