What's a good soundcard?

Nucleoid

Nucleoid Drum & Bass
Hi guise,

Apart from buying monitors I've convinced myself I also need an external audiocard for improved audio processing, but more importantly because I keep reading that people with KRK's apparently can hear their pc's motherboard rattling through their speakers, unless they have a separate soundcloud.

Hence the question:
What soundcard should I buy? :D

After buying KRK's I will not have a lot of money left, and I'm purely buying this so I can produce on my laptop (that I also still need to buy somewhere next year). In any case it must be cheap, but reliable and I think I will be buying a second-hand..

What do you guys suggest?
M-Audio has some nice stuff, right? Or are they called M-boxes, I don't quite remember.. share your thoughts please!

Also how does it work with drivers? Do you get them when buying a soundcard, or download them? Or do you even need them at all..

Much love,
Nucleoid

If I understood you correct I would recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as a suitable solution to your conundrum. A separate soundcloud huh,, but who's gonna listen? KRKs....why?

I've got the Akai EIE Pro, it has more inputs and outputs and gimmicks then the Focusrite Scarlett that I wanted to buy at first, I'm glad that I picked up this one though cause I hook up guitars, keyboards, synthesizer with midi ins and out all the time. If you dont need that kinda stuff then I'd say definitely go for the cheaper focusrite because sound quality wise, they both hit the 24bit 96khz.

Good luck.

edit-
didnt read your last question, drivers are included, and also available via internet.

I meant soundcard*
:lol: I know. 2i2 stands for 2 ins and 2 outs by the way, so it is limited in that way for sure. I use it with my laptop and it's all good. I see they have got a few new additions to the range with more ins and outs so check that too.

Foscurite Saffire 6 USB is a great shout too, amazing card even if the design is a little dated now, the sound quality is next level :)

I got the basic M-Audio Fast Track Pro. The AD/DA conversion really isnt that good, but it has done its job for the past two years. It aint too expensive aswell. I've had some random problems with ASIO drivers, though... From the examples that were given above, I'd go with the Focusrite(s), or the Apogee - the Focusrite I know its good, and the Apogee Duet, I've heard its a very good card also.

I obviously meant an external soundcard, and I'm not using a MAC. Nevertheless thanks for all the comments, this jas been very helpful to me! I decided to buy the KRKs first and then save up for the Focusrite 2i2, since it's easily portable and I probably never need 2 or more inputs at the same time anyway. I can switch, no problem ;)

Any more input or ideas are welcome though, but I must stress I am looking for honest quality (24bit 96khz and XLR or TRS outputs) and portability, cuz I want to use it for a laptop so i can produce in the train to college. Also I'm a cheapskate, so cheaper is better ;p

I have the focusrite pro 40 and I love it. It gives me plenty of room to plug in external effects...mics...sampler...etc. Personally I think if you go with focusrite you wont go wrong. They have some nice audio interfaces for the money.

Apogee Duet is nice, but Mac only, I almost bought one by mistake!
RME Babyface is great for the money.

I personally would not get KRK's unless you get the VTX version. How about the Yamaha HS80's? Their £400 a pair, and probably the best in that price range.

Apogee Duet is nice, but Mac only, I almost bought one by mistake!
RME Babyface is great for the money.

I personally would not get KRK's unless you get the VTX version. How about the Yamaha HS80's? Their £400 a pair, and probably the best in that price range.

I see.. but for 243eur per speaker, they seem a little expensive to me. Besides 8inch is a little big for my type of room and I hear many different people saying that any 5inch speaker has too little low end, or feels.. too light. This is why I decided on the KRK 6inch, cause it seems to be perfectly in the middle and I'm hearing good response on them from friends. Anyway when I'm in the shop I'll have a listen to the Yamaha's just to be sure ;)

I'm also in need of one, think i'm gonna go for the focusrite scarlett 2i2, as i only need two outputs for my monitors. Looking online it looks as though there's only a 1/4 jack output, do i need a xlr to 1/4 jack wire or is there an xlr output?

I'm also in need of one, think i'm gonna go for the focusrite scarlett 2i2, as i only need two outputs for my monitors. Looking online it looks as though there's only a 1/4 jack output, do i need a xlr to 1/4 jack wire or is there an xlr output?
only 1/4 inch jacks for the outs.

I see.. but for 243eur per speaker, they seem a little expensive to me. Besides 8inch is a little big for my type of room and I hear many different people saying that any 5inch speaker has too little low end, or feels.. too light. This is why I decided on the KRK 6inch, cause it seems to be perfectly in the middle and I'm hearing good response on them from friends. Anyway when I'm in the shop I'll have a listen to the Yamaha's just to be sure ;)

Yeah, the problem with the smaller ones is they generally stop about 50-60HZ, which is not great. The HS80's are very accurate at translating mixes, I think DLR uses them too.

How big is your room?

Yeah, the problem with the smaller ones is they generally stop about 50-60HZ, which is not great. The HS80's are very accurate at translating mixes, I think DLR uses them too.

How big is your room?

My room is perhaps 2 by 4 atm, but when ill move into a new appartment it won't be much bigger ;)

Back
Top Bottom