Whats a good KBPS MP3 setting to use?

Discussion in 'Production' started by 1992, Jul 14, 2004.

1. 1992

1992 Novantadue

I want to put two of my own tunes on the net to see if I can generate interest in selling said tune on CDR. I want to put the whole tune up but I don't want the sound quality to be TOO good yet I want it to sound good enough for people to get the idea of what it would sound like for real.

What KBPS setting should I use for this? Is 56KBPS ok or is that even too high?

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I'd use say 96 or 128Kbps but don't put the whole tune up. A little bit before the drop for around 2 minutes.

3. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

i'd go for 96kbps, i know some 128's have been pressed to vinyl in the past..... :rolleyes: :gimp:

4. .:rmc:.

.:rmc:. junglist

allways clever to encode them in mono... that keeps away those annoying vinyl pressing retards :evil:

5. AudioStressTest

AudioStressTest Member

I'd go for 64kbit/s MONO...

6. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

You guys are goin well low
    Id thought that 192k is unplayable. It sounds shit everytime i played one..

7. Dave_Akuma

Dave_Akuma aka composite.human

i've always heard that anything less than 320 is shit on a club pa...you should be safe with a 192 kbps mp3 (for added security you can even watermark it)...but clips are also a good bet (similar to what chemical does, for instance)...

8. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

Alot depends on the encoder you're using - use a cheap, free codec for example and your mp3 will sound shit even at high bitrates. Use the Fraunhoffer codec and a 128kbps mp3 will sound like a 256....

I *know* 128kbps mp3's have been cut to vinyl and played out before... and i have personally played 192kbps mp3's on a club PA and it's sounded fine..... it all depends on the tune itself and the encoder.

Plus, there's always the possibility that it's just the tune itself that sounds shit, not the mp3. A mate of mine wrote a tune a while ago and played a 256kbps mp3 in a club and complained that "the mp3 sounded shit", to which i replied.... "no mate, it was your mixdown".

I'm not implying your mixdown is bad 1992 - just something to bear in mind! :)

9. NaS

NaS Member

:slayer: