Whatever happened to the dnbforum producers compilation cd idea?

D BREAKNECK

7 years on top
VIP Junglist
Well what happened? Or have I just missed something?

Everyone was going on about it and then... :confused:

There's some great trax around at mo', come on then...

D BREAKNECK said:
Well what happened? Or have I just missed something?

Everyone was going on about it and then... :confused:

There's some great trax around at mo', come on then...
To be honest with you, we barely sell t-shirts, I really don't think we'd have much chance with CD's.

Yeah but cds cost hardly anything to copy and package.

Could get together a dbl cd, say 14 trax unmixed and 22 mixed, to sell cheap, aim being to showcase, publicise and promote.

Could sell on here, at events, and whoever's got shop contacts could try to get them placed...

There's deffo the trax, and the knowledge amongst people on here.

D BREAKNECK said:
Yeah but cds cost hardly anything to copy and package.

Could get together a dbl cd, say 14 trax unmixed and 22 mixed, to sell cheap, aim being to showcase, publicise and promote.

Could sell on here, at events, and whoever's got shop contacts could try to get them placed...

There's deffo the trax, and the knowledge amongst people on here.

Sounds like a plan Batman :teeth:

My two concerns:

1) How professional this will look - Making copies of CD's and throwing them into a case isn't really what I had in mind when I envisioned our first CD, despite it being relatively cheap to create.

2) Time - I really don't have the time to take a project like this on. I look after nearly everything you see on this web site, and I'm not willing to sacrifice anymore of my free time (what's left of it) to devote to a CD to help promote artists and make very little back for DNBforum in return.

We barely make enough from banner advertisements to cover our server and software bills, I don't think selling 20 odd copied CD's in stores nationwide for £1 profit is going to make a lot of difference.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think I have a pretty good understanding (from mistakes I've made and industry heads) of what DnB heads are willing to buy and I can't see them running out anywhere to buy a CD from us.

This is exactly why I created forums and unsigned pages for unsigned music to be heard by the masses. I know for a fact they work because tunes have been signed by labels surfing our pages for prospective artists.

My two cents :pat:

I know exactly what you mean Stu, but...

I think I, (and the people) can get pro-cd-pressing and good looking packaging together cheaply.

Timewise...I've just finished college and I'm itchin' to get on with summat.

Your time wise...maybe just some tune selection and some of your trax if you wanted.

We can continue this on emails if you want...Maybe its not a dnbf thing, but something I've got a bit of an urge for at the mo'.

I just think it's worth bringing it up and seeing what people are thinking.

plus...I know people for whom getting a 1st track on a cd or vinyl have been a massive boost to their confidence and they've soon gone on to bigger and better.

:shrug:

D BREAKNECK said:
plus...I know people for whom getting a 1st track on a cd or vinyl have been a massive boost to their confidence and they've soon gone on to bigger and better.

:shrug:

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but felt itsa great idea, ive got tunes that are getting play globally (respek' to AIM) but certain distributors arent interested, so an unsigned cd would be a great platform to get coverage on.

Maybe this needs to be a shared effort kinda thing, so SDMs time an money can go into more constructive things, get each producer to contribute a tenner or so (fair i think!) to help with costs incurred, 14-18 tracks would defo make a bit of cashish! As Dan said the costs of printing cds can be very cheap, the old company i worked at does that kinda thing, an im sure theyd hook me us up.

Id be willing to give up time, as im sure Bad Ace would, including Dans skills an a few more peeps would jump in to help a good cause.

Seems a shame for the idea to get shelved, lets rally together an maybe make this happen! (yn)

Obvioulsy SDMs decision is final, yo! :beers:

Will do...

And copies to Jay too.

Later tho. Just got back from Sweden / Denmark at 1am this Morning from a big wedding party. :rinsed:

Back
Top Bottom