what vsts do movie sound designers use???.

DYSRUPT

I was curious as to how sound designers make fx for games and movies. . . . .Then i found this (5:10) and it reminded me that I don't know shit and Im not worthy. hahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
We all wish we could afford to do sound design that way, but vsts are the next best thing (and required for certain sounds and processing anyway).

- - - Updated - - -

We all wish we could afford to do sound design that way, but vsts are the next best thing (and required for certain sounds and processing anyway).

I think a majority of the time it's sample oriented stuff compared with an IMMENSE knowledge of sound and signal processing, you just can't pirate that or even buy it really. Time & effort & knowing your way around your toolbox & the incentive of a fatass hollywood check coming your way. Like if you look up the "Kongalizer" effect that they did for the new King Kong movie, it's pretty simple stuff, that sounds amazing mostly because the people who did it KNOW THEIR SHIT!

^Yeah was guna say mostly sampled tings, like dry ice or some shit. Think of their budget tho!

pfffft... you don't need fuck tonnes of cash to do foley work, you need a microphone and some shit to play with, that's pretty much it.

Nah you dont but judging by half the shit on Freesound its clear people cant even afford a decent mic!

Yeah, I knew zebra was kne of them. . . I use that. . . It seems every sound that comes out of it is epic. Haha.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

For a low end setup (lappy and 2i2 interface), anyone got any experience with a decent mic. I love foley stuff, but only had a Palmtrack handheld thingy and the noise floor is annoying for subtle sounds. Ok for heavily processed stuff but not so for clean.

Cheers

definitely zebra b/c as mentioned above, it was used for batman.

my wife goes to an art school (focused on tv/film production) and they just stick to digging through ridiculously humongous foley libraries

You can get good results with granular synthesis...and time. I've played with omnisphere before and there are some very deep patches to get your melon round.

The sound of your nan milking a cat and the sound if you curling one out, stick it in a
granular synth,
reverse it,
stretch it
Squeeze it,
Hollywood
Profit?

^^ yeah that damage thing is a beast.

For films i reckon its all about field recordings and using plugs like Izotope RX to clean up any recordings. Also i reckon (might be wrong) that unlike big budget music production which love to use vintage hardware film audio guys tend to just use ITB plugs, probably UAD stuff. I think the TL space is great for realistic reverbs and Valhalla Shimmer is top notch for epic stings and whooshes.

Back
Top Bottom