what vsts do movie sound designers use???.

DYSRUPT

I was curious as to how sound designers make fx for games and movies. . . . .Then i found this (5:10) and it reminded me that I don't know shit and Im not worthy. hahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:

Mason John

21st Junta
We all wish we could afford to do sound design that way, but vsts are the next best thing (and required for certain sounds and processing anyway).

- - - Updated - - -

We all wish we could afford to do sound design that way, but vsts are the next best thing (and required for certain sounds and processing anyway).

Dugg Funnie

VIP Junglist
I think a majority of the time it's sample oriented stuff compared with an IMMENSE knowledge of sound and signal processing, you just can't pirate that or even buy it really. Time & effort & knowing your way around your toolbox & the incentive of a fatass hollywood check coming your way. Like if you look up the "Kongalizer" effect that they did for the new King Kong movie, it's pretty simple stuff, that sounds amazing mostly because the people who did it KNOW THEIR SHIT!

rysk

Part-time waster
VIP Junglist
pfffft... you don't need fuck tonnes of cash to do foley work, you need a microphone and some shit to play with, that's pretty much it.

DYSRUPT

Yeah, I knew zebra was kne of them. . . I use that. . . It seems every sound that comes out of it is epic. Haha.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

subprime

Dysjoint
VIP Junglist
For a low end setup (lappy and 2i2 interface), anyone got any experience with a decent mic. I love foley stuff, but only had a Palmtrack handheld thingy and the noise floor is annoying for subtle sounds. Ok for heavily processed stuff but not so for clean.

Cheers

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist

djdizzy

definitely zebra b/c as mentioned above, it was used for batman.

my wife goes to an art school (focused on tv/film production) and they just stick to digging through ridiculously humongous foley libraries

^^ yeah that damage thing is a beast.

For films i reckon its all about field recordings and using plugs like Izotope RX to clean up any recordings. Also i reckon (might be wrong) that unlike big budget music production which love to use vintage hardware film audio guys tend to just use ITB plugs, probably UAD stuff. I think the TL space is great for realistic reverbs and Valhalla Shimmer is top notch for epic stings and whooshes.