what the **** is side chaining???

Discussion in 'Production' started by Fratanize, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Fratanize

Fratanize Keepin the jungle alive

Can anyone explain in laymans what side chaining is and how do i do it on fl studio?

2. grayc

grayc New Member

i think side chaining is the same as Ducking but i might be completely wrong. If it is then its a technic used in dance were one sound is used to reduce the volume of another.

This is used alot in dance by putting a bas drum through a synthesiser to give that kinda trancey sound on a sustained chord, just like Eric Prydz call on me chart tune.
    It also happens on the radio whenever someone talks and the sound automaticly gets quiter.
    Iv never used FL Studio but i thought you might like an explanation.
    Hope this is useful.... nice one man

3. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

Sidechaining is the technique of attaching an VST to another in order to work in unison. There are several ways to use sidechaining, but the most commonly used way is sidechaining a sampler/synth to a filter so that it is muted whenever another sound is introduced.

OK so.

How to sidechain in FL Studio.

First, wack your kicks and bass into seperate mixer channels.

Next put a fruity peak controller on the kick drums channel.

Next put a fruity balance on the bass channel.

Next, keep the fruity balance infront of you and right click volume knob and select 'Link to controller...'

Now a 'remote control settings' box will pop up, if you look around about the upper middle you'll see a box labled 'Internal controller'. Click the drag down bar and a set of things to link to should pop up.

Now select the 'peak ctrl FX #' depending on which channel you placed the peak controller you want to link to.

Now select the 'peak' parameter and only the peak parameter.

Now when you got that linked up go to the peak controller and fiddle with the 'Peak' settings which is the top box. You're aiming for the kick to not clash with the bass so fiddle with it so that the bass ducks out for a few milliseconds and allows the kick to come through full effect.

Simple as (y)

4. Fratanize

cheers guys. thanks for tha knowledge!

5. Side Chaining is an art to get right!
    Culture Shock is the best at Side Chaining in my opinion. He pretty much uses it in all of his tunes.
    Listen to 'Bypass' - he uses heavy Side Chaining in that tune which almost gives it a swing type feel as does 'Vice Chase' .His two latest dubs 'Riddum' and 'IMAX' also use this process.
    It triggers certain parts of the tune to dip to allow a certain frequency (usually your drum hits) to appear louder and jump out in the mix.
    Experiment with it dude - it's a must in my opinion!

6. Fratanize

I have had a go at it. Will take some practise tho.
    cheers guys

7. Fratanize

does it only work with certain types of bass?

8. Should work with any. It depends on how you set ii up. In lamans terms it is used when you have a loud bass track (ie - Drum and Bass) and basically moves it out the way when the drum hits so that the drums dont get drowned out by the Bass.

9. ...moves the bass out the way (dips it) when the drum hit triggers it to allowing the drums to sound punchy and clean in the mix

10. Fratanize

COOL CHEERS FOR THE LAYMANS FELLA

11. crossfader

crossfader Member

how can i sort side chaining in Reason?