What technique do you use for filtering?

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
As filtering is such a major part of dnb basslines, I thought I'd really get to grips with it.

I was just wondering, because all spor, spectrasoul etc. bassline use huge amounts of filtering, do you just automate the various frequencies on lots of chained EQ plugins.

I've previously used lfo's on the lowpass within the bass plugin, but this leads to repetitive filtering.

If I wanted to use multiple filters than can be automated, what is the best way to do it?

Cheers

Yeah I add automation in the plugin itself.
Then I duplicate my bounced wav loop to about 3 or 4, and EQ to get Low, Mid, High. Then I use filtering on those such as lowpass, highpass and bandpass.
Also flangers and phasers work really well, and try to automate some knobs and see what it does.

In the end I always group those channels back together with slight compression and maybe end up dong some more lowpass automations on the entire bass track.

Yeah I add automation in the plugin itself.
Then I duplicate my bounced wav loop to about 3 or 4, and EQ to get Low, Mid, High. Then I use filtering on those such as lowpass, highpass and bandpass.
Also flangers and phasers work really well, and try to automate some knobs and see what it does.

In the end I always group those channels back together with slight compression and maybe end up dong some more lowpass automations on the entire bass track.

Thats some serious technical shizzle right there!

Ok cheers, I guess I was really looking for a good way of filtering outside of the initial bass plugin.

I don't tend to bounce wavs to resample, as I always wanna tweak something and then have to go through the whole process.

As most people tend to use the filters inside the plugin, I'll probably just automate everything rather than using the LFOs from now on.

Well you don't have to resample, but when doing loads of filtering and automation my CPU gets a bit laggy.
So to free some CPU I resample my bass, then freezing and muting the bass patch channel so it doesn't uses any CPU but when I want to add a variation I can unfreeze it again.

As filtering is such a major part of dnb basslines, I thought I'd really get to grips with it.

I was just wondering, because all spor, spectrasoul etc. bassline use huge amounts of filtering, do you just automate the various frequencies on lots of chained EQ plugins.

I've previously used lfo's on the lowpass within the bass plugin, but this leads to repetitive filtering.

If I wanted to use multiple filters than can be automated, what is the best way to do it?

Cheers

I tend to make 3 separate bass sounds all together,

Low which is normally just a sub like a filtered sine/square with some really mild tube distortion from a separate plugin, Then the mid i just use a standard reece sound but I use the camelphat plugin to fatten it up and band pass filter it (which later gets automated) and the high end I either use another reece or something thats less detuned (nice bit of phase modulation from massive is always nice too) and automate the high pass filter on that

After all that i bus them all together and compress/EQ maybe a bit more distortion and occasionally another filter.

Also chorus and flangers always add some nice interest

Back
Top Bottom