DnB What style of DNB do you listen to the most

JLeemo

Just generally wondering what peoples thoughts are on this, i will listen to a bit of everything to be honest, what i cant stand is the new sounds of like pendulum for example who i dont class as dnb with the horrible sounds they come out with. Bit of a jump up head myself but i also like the deeper techy stuff aswell.
Recently started listening to the likes of Spor Lenzman and spectrasoul too

Cheers :)

My dnb tastes seem to have "evolved" since i first got into it. First started listening to jungle, progressed to dancefloor (RAM, Viper) type stuff, then onto the darker side (shogun, critical, dispatch etc). But Jump Ups always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

Love myself some liquid, tech, deep, minimal, neurofunk and everything else inbetween. Just no jump-up, drumstep or cheesy ass dancefloor.

see drum step is something i cant get my head around, tryin to have a good old skank out to it is near on impossible and (i think) pretty much kills the vibe in a dance

Started off listening to Jump up purely through going to raves in Birmingham shortly followed by my first year at innovation in the sun 07 :)
Then got a bit more into Ragga Jungle ect.

neurofunk and other techy niceness mostly, but love the deeper rolling vibes and other such experimental shit.

and liquid, but less of.

can bare a bit of jump-up

fuck radio friendly dancefloor garbage.

what i tend to do is pick one style at random for a month and only listen to that.
sometimes i hear a track i like and think yeah! fuck yeah this is awesome... but wait... is this bareback lazer muffin tic tap step?
so i start a thread to find out. usually its not the right sub genre so i dont listen to it anymore. which is a shame.

sub genre's are important.

me used to be well into jump up when i got into dnb, used to love that shit! then went on the dancefloor stuff too, but today on like few select dancefloor tracks. quite like the darker stuff now, as said b4 shogun critical neosignal etc. liquid is good too! love the old netsky style, metrik

cant stand skreetchy dancefloor, drumstep or disjointed beats as i call them, stuff like rockwell puts out and shit, the fuck are you supposed to do with that?

As dedbult said I feel my taste has evolved after 5-6 years of listening to dnb.

Initially went to alot of RAM nights in my younger years. Experienced 3 Playaz christmas specials at fabric in a row too which was eye opening...

Then I started mixing, and tbh thats when I started noticing different labels and types of dnb.

Labels like Dispatch, Critical (& Modulations), Quarantine, Symmetry & Subtitles really changed my perspective on dnb. Obviously they are nowhere near the distinctive sounds of Playaz or RAM, but I learnt to appreciate DNB not as tear into your skull destroy a family of 4 in 8 seconds flat, but that the more deeper stuff can do just as much destruction on the dancefloor, regardless of how much is going on in a tune.

Alot has changed in 6 years IMO. Hospital were really in their pomp back then and obviously are not releasing the same kind of stuff.

I feel like my taste will be completely different another 6 years down the line. its just moving with the times, and deciding what you like.

what i tend to do is pick one style at random for a month and only listen to that.
sometimes i hear a track i like and think yeah! fuck yeah this is awesome... but wait... is this bareback lazer muffin tic tap step?
so i start a thread to find out. usually its not the right sub genre so i dont listen to it anymore. which is a shame.

i love bareback lazer muffin tic tap step. everything else is shit.

My dnb tastes seem to have "evolved" since i first got into it. But Jump Ups always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

My tastes have changed SO much since I first got into dnb. First I liked jump up & pretty much nothing else. Then a friend opened my eyes to dBridge & Instramental's stuff which I really liked (completely different ends of the dnb spectrum I know), then Icicle & Alix Perez which lead me to look more into the whole neurofunk, rollers & deeper genres of dnb including the heavier Renegade Hardware ect style stuff, love what Rockwell brought & is still bringing to the scene with those glitchy tunes, & more recently the whole juke / footwork / trap dnb that is floating about at the mo. I still like jump up, just in moderation & can't remember the last time I had an hour long mix with it.

Just not a huge fan of liquid. I appreciate tunes here & there from the sub genre & the effort that goes into making it. Just not my cup of tea

Very true.

Some days / weeks I listen to / mix one of the styles above & that's all I will listen to / play that day / week. If I'm feeling uninspired by that particular genre or not feeling it, I listen to something else that I like. Variety is the spice of life & all that. Then when you go back to a particular style, there is a bit of a new found rediscovering of it, or why you liked it in the first place.

Last edited:
I like DnB in general but subgenres Ambient, Neuro, Industrial are my absolute favorites.
I don't like jumpup that much and I hate the cheesy top40 faggotry.

Liquidfunk is just slightly gayish with all the happy stuff no one is always happy how can someone love that genre when its always so happy but I like it from time to time.

Like previously mentioned my tastes in dnb have changed as I've got older. I used to only like impact mixing and high energy sets such as Andy C, Friction or Marky. These days I like a good Doc Scott or Loxy set to listen to. The turning point for me was going to Warning in Cambridge a few years ago and watching Doc Scott and Goldie back to back; was an amazing set. I remember Andy C coming on later on and just been boring. Made me start to appreciate good blending and quality tunes rather than djing to try create impact.

I still listen to all drum and bass styles though. When DJing I like to play across the board but tend to lean towards the deep or tech sound.

Back
Top Bottom