What sparked your fire?

music has always been the main thing in my life.. then i discovered drum n bass.. a genre you can make without learning any instruments or writing musi something you can literally create on your pc :)

i think with dnb aswell once you pop you just cant stop, i love the way dnb can be anything as long as it has a fast broken beat and a bassline. I think thats why it will never die

I started mixing music because I was pissed off at a girl and needed something to take my mind off things. I wasn't mixing dnb though I was listening to it mostly.

I then started mixing dnb when I broke up with that girl for the third time and met A Guy Called Gerald. Saw him dropping jungle from a laptop to some househeads and decided that there was plenty of fun to be had from dropping dnb.

I started producing music a long time before I started mixing (loads of tracks in various crap styles) to combat depression but my first good dnb track only got finished last year.

Nowadays I'm happy and got a family so I don't really feel the need to mix or produce.

Depression can be creative.

Ah and the funny thing is that I played one of the best sets of my life on the day I made my son.

That said, I started promoting a year ago because I got pissed off at all the stepping parties that gave dnb a bad name amongst punters. Dnb here is totally dominated by techstep and kids on speed which is a pity when there is a huge potential for lighter and bouncier vibes.

I hate disco house and pop dance shite and can see the same people dancing to some mtv crap dancing to Shy Fx instead. But instead of Shy Fx, people get bombarded with some obscure chainsaw remixes in dingy cellars. So I started promoting lighter beats in an outside venue - bringing the rave back to dnb. That's not an attack on techstep by the way just on the dominance of one genre. If it was all jump up and liquid, then I'd be promoting darker vibes.

i started making dnb because my dad was in2 jungle nd he worked in paramount so when i went to work with him i could use the software nd shizz ..but thn he passed away so i inherited some of his equipment n tht nd i really got in2 producin..but then i lost it all when my house burnt dwn..bollox

thats bollox man. dont give up tho mate your still young. keep making some beats mate. its best to start making tunes before you start mixing trust. nice one for sharing that Sam mate. I got into mixing about a year and a half ago. for one simple reason....i love music and i simply wanted to experiment with all the sounds and finding out what tunes go well together. simple as that really

Iv bin mixin' for about 4 years now and it was the old kings of the jungle tapes that got me in2 it when i was about 13 or 14.Iv never looked back!:beers:

it was a vision i now it sounds corney but djing just hit me one day at the club
but drum and bass was soming one day i picked up at a record shop in balitmore and i put it on to test out the sound you no just to see what it was and sh!t i was like d#m thats phat!!!! and then i bought about 15records went home and put it on at first it was like holy sh!t i gotta speed up my brain and i did so ha thats that

I started mixing music because I was pissed off at a girl and needed something to take my mind off things. I wasn't mixing dnb though I was listening to it mostly.

I then started mixing dnb when I broke up with that girl for the third time and met A Guy Called Gerald. Saw him dropping jungle from a laptop to some househeads and decided that there was plenty of fun to be had from dropping dnb.

I started producing music a long time before I started mixing (loads of tracks in various crap styles) to combat depression but my first good dnb track only got finished last year.

Nowadays I'm happy and got a family so I don't really feel the need to mix or produce.

Depression can be creative.

Ah and the funny thing is that I played one of the best sets of my life on the day I made my son.

Ive often found over the years that no matter what problems are goin on in your life, nothing takes them away like a good mix session. I have to say that probably one of the best sets ive ever played live was the day i found out my wife @ the time was cheating on me (i was in tears during the whole set) but i pulled it off and felt allot better after. Whenever some thing or someone is bothering me, i just zone out and mix.

i started making dnb because my dad was in2 jungle nd he worked in paramount so when i went to work with him i could use the software nd shizz ..but thn he passed away so i inherited some of his equipment n tht nd i really got in2 producin..but then i lost it all when my house burnt dwn..bollox

damn thats shitty luck im sorry 2 hear that, i work for Paramount out here in Hollywood what was your dads name?

Long boring story, but I've got time to waste so here goes...

Always loved music, used to be into all kinds of stuff when I was a kid - rock, indie etc started playing guitar, really got into the blues, got good, played in a few bands, then met a new crew who were into dance music - this was late nineties so it was Mo' Wax trip hop kinda stuff - got a turntable cos you couldn't get that stuff on CD, started collecting records - Mo Wax, Ninja Tune, Alt Hip Hop - then started getting more into leftfield electronica - Warp, Rephlex, Planet Mu etc, by this time I had my first hundred or so records and was wondering what they might sound like if I put some together, so got myself some decks - we're at about year 2000 here - got real deep into that, then realised some of the stuff was so leftfield it was impossible to dance to, started getting more techno & house, and bit of DnB - I'd always loved breaks in the Squarepusher tracks I had (Also I'd been going out to DnB nights that my friends ran since way back - '97 or something), finally in about 2002 or something I got fully into DnB and aint looked back since...

Funny thing is most people who are into other types of music think I'm only into DnB, and that's all I know about... Probably know more about more types of music than they would ever expect...

music has always been the main thing in my life.. then i discovered drum n bass.. a genre you can make without learning any instruments or writing musi something you can literally create on your pc :)

i think with dnb aswell once you pop you just cant stop, i love the way dnb can be anything as long as it has a fast broken beat and a bassline. I think thats why it will never die

Well said mate, totally agree.

Ever since i heard d&b for the first time, it's been basically all i listen to, then one day i thought, why don't i get myself some decks and make my own sets using my favourite tunes that i'm listening to all the time.

And that was it, glad i started mixing. You get a real sense of proudness about yourself when you nail that excellent mix, and think, 'Wow, that was really me that did that', and that's what i like about it, when you get it right it's a good feeling and it sounds excellent when you get that mix just right and do some crazy double drops and stuff - makes you wanna dance around the place!

Ez...

i fell in love with champion dj by top cat (the 97 remix) and seeing as the only way to get that tune was on vinyl, learning to mix was the logical conclusion.

i've played classical piano since i was like five...then learnt drums guitar and bass!!! my mate i used to work with was selling his shitty numark battlepack couple of years ago so took them off his hands and well the rest is history!!!

its weird....depending what time of the day it is what mood im in etc...i may feel like a mix.....or if its been a stressful day and didnt get to the website quick enough to order THAT new promo....an hour on the piano normally chillaxes me !!!!

Back
Top Bottom