what should i buy on a $2500 limit

mac or pc for production (comment the daw)

• mac

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • pc

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

mikebail

ok so i will need a computer as well and i am looking for more like dubstep b&d techno ect. , here is what i had for my starter kit

Akai Professional MPK61 USB MIDI Keyboard Controller
Image Line FL Studio 10 Signature Bundle
Line 6 POD Studio UX2 with POD Farm
M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe Active Monitors
Apple iMac 21.5" MC309LLA 2.5GHz i5 4GB RAM 500GB7k HDD

well all i know is, for 2.5k you could get an absolutely bitchin' pc. i spent about $900 on mine and got an i7 870 cpu with 4gb of ram to get started on production.

bro don't spend money on software you can borrow it off the internet.

you stupid?

he just bought fl. its like 200 bucks and its WORTH it! cant get any more value for money in the production world.

but apart from that id say the same regarding vsts. check it out for free and if you like and use it, buy it!

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

oh and id go for pc over mac everyday!

mac is just overpriced hipster shit for people that cant get their head around using anti-virus tools or think the only way theyre getting good tunes is by using logic. lol..

things you posted arent bad.

id get a keyboard, some monitors (really up to you, but with a budget like that, get some good ones. adams a8 or something like that) and FL10
and keep the rest of the monies till you know what you need.

i built my own pc and got a bad boy for 400 eur. then monitors is around 600-800 eur, midi controller (keyboard with knobs and drum pads) 100 eur, bad boy sound card 250-500, fruity loops 200, a sound craft desk 100-400 depending on size, bunch a cables 100 and something fun, like a synth or a delay or a compressor or a bunch of guitar pedals for the rest of the money.

PC + Ableton Suite + Decent Monitors + Midi Keyboard

edit: soundcard...an Audiophile 2496 will do ya, unless u really want a laptop, however the power restrictions on a laptop are significant

Last edited:
ahh. not really ^^^

a bit tho cause people buying that shit are usually way to elitist, thinking they got the shit only because they spend loads of money on overpriced shit.

just the same with BMW drivers. theyre great cars, obviously, but way overpriced and most people having one, have really got a problem with their tiny dicks.

^^ Nuff said^^

Tis all you need.

I'm running a Mac and Logic, but if I was on PC this is really the way to go, especially if you're goin' the laptop direction - Ableton has some mad live performance abilities... Plus, along with all the really cool stuff that comes with it, you could get it hooked up with MAX for Live if you are looking to fulfill your crazy sound scientist needs!

I've had no problems with my Macbook however, runs Logic just fine. I sometimes wish that I got Ableton for all the perfomance additions but I'm plenty happy with Logic for production.

I've had some experience with Reason too, but keep in mind you will be limited to the stuff that ships with it - oh and if you want to go with Reason defo get Reason 6 as it's incorporated all of Records now as well. Plus that new mixer looks :jerkit:

Last edited:
With that budget you should look at new monitors, say Mackie HR824 or Adam A7X if you really wanna push it or if you can settle for less: Mackie MR8 / Yamaha HS80M. - ~£500-£1000
As for the system - Win XP or Mac. x64, i7, 4-12gb ram, 500-2000gb hdd space (Don't spend all the money on it though - there's no point) - ~£700-£900 for PC, loads more for Mac.
DAW: Cubase, Logic or Ableton. I wouldn't even consider anything else. - £300-£500

Leaves up to about £1000-£300 for soft synths/outboard gear. I'd recommend the Native Instruments Komplete pack which is absolutely amazing pack. 24 products for £400!

That's basically what I'd put my money on, though it's all up to your tastes.

Oh, and I can't emphasize enough the importance of monitor placement and acoustics. You can get so much better results when you've got them covered.

Back
Top Bottom